Raleigh North Carolina

Just accepted an offer from a company in Raleigh. I have absolutely no idea about the area and am looking for input from anyone familiar with the area as far as where to look for housing, cigar lounges, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

CAH

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might be inviting the wrath of my (new) fellow North Carolinians, but I'm not much of a city guy. If I had my way, I would locate and move to Mayberry. I grew up in a little town in rural Minnesota.

BBQ should probably be another verboten topic on this forum, like US politics… It should be illegal to call TX brisket “BBQ.” Kind of like that deep dish dough thing they make in Chicago, can’t rememb

Cary resident here. In addition to Angus Barn and Havana Deluxe, the Apex Cigar Lounge is a really nice B&M and smoking spot. Good selection of mainstream and boutique brands, and their lounge is

You will like Raleigh.  I worked there for a few years and my brother still lives there.  There are a few BOTL on here that live there currently so I will let them chime in regarding housing, etc.  Congrats on the new job!!

@Bartolomeo I believe lives in Raleigh and may be a valuable resource.

• Like 2

I'm 3 hours away in the Myrtle beach area. If you are in the area, cigar's on me. I even have some aged BPC's!

• Like 2

Home office is in Raleigh. Welcome to the 4-6 pm 440 parking lots! 🤣 

Lots of cool places there. I lived there before I took up "gars" but there's something around there I'm sure. Big variety for a smallish city.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nevrknow said:

Home office is in Raleigh. Welcome to the 4-6 pm 440 parking lots! 🤣 

I've lived in both Orlando and Atlanta. Your traffic horror stories don't frighten me! 😆

2 hours ago, SCgarman said:

I'm 3 hours away in the Myrtle beach area. If you are in the area, cigar's on me. I even have some aged BPC's!

It sounds like my 1st job is going to be in Wilmington...

• Like 4

Second Angus Barn!!!  I'm just outside of Greenville.  About an hour East of Raleigh.  There are a few nice lounges downtown.  There's a Davidoff Lounge in Greensboro I like.  A bit of a drive, but a nice outing. Lot's to do!

• Like 3

Raleigh is great. All the surrounding towns have their own vibe and pros and cons (Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough, etc). Can easily live outside the city in the country very affordably there and still have pretty quick access into Raleigh.

• Like 2

I'm in Hendersonville,NC south of Asheville.Great little town nice people.

• Like 3

@Chas.Alpha I know what you mean. If that’s what you’re looking for you should check out the Hurdle Mills/Mebane/Hillsborough area. Great small downtowns, good parks, by the Haw river. Still not a terrible drive into town.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tomj said:

I'm in Hendersonville,NC south of Asheville.Great little town nice people.

Formerly of western NY? (Bills)

• Like 1

Raleigh is half the size of Jacksonville and you can be in the middle of nowhere one minute and on your way to downtown the next. I think you can find a place where you feel right at home and still be able to work in downtown if need be. I hope you’re not commuting  to Wilmington 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, madandana said:

Wow, leaving Jacksonville. Good luck brother.

Hi Mike! How's it goin', eh? My post about finding Mayberry referenced Excelsior as I remember it. When the amusement part was still there and Reggie's Danceland was right across the street. Yep, that's where the Stones played. I might have mentioned, my oldest sister was at that show. She left, too...

Love to Dana!!!

6 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Raleigh is half the size of Jacksonville and you can be in the middle of nowhere one minute and on your way to downtown the next. I think you can find a place where you feel right at home and still be able to work in downtown if need be. I hope you’re not commuting  to Wilmington 🙂

Don't know yet. The crux of my current anxiety is that I am starting a job 2 states away in 32 days and I have no idea where we are going to live! Sometimes, it really is fun being me!!!😆

41 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Don't know yet. The crux of my current anxiety is that I am starting a job 2 states away in 32 days and I have no idea where we are going to live! Sometimes, it really is fun being me!!!😆

Just curious. Are you a home building sub-contractor?

Raleigh can have horrible traffic during rush hours.  Do you know where you'll be working?  Some areas of Raleigh are right over flight paths to RDU.  It can sound like 9/11 every 20 minutes the planes fly so low.  Lot of good Indian food around RTP.  I miss a few spots I'd go for lunch.  Epic driving and biking in general around Raleigh.  Time to buy that sports car if you ever wanted one.

• Like 4

Very sorry to see a Floridian go somewhere else.  Best of luck in Raleigh, NC !  I've moved 15 times in my career and almost always on 30 to 60 days notice - so, I very much feel your pain.  The nice part is you can now take the next 10 years to find that very perfect little out of the way spot in the Carolina's to retire.

• Like 1

Welcome to North Carolina. I'm with @Greenhorn2 find a rural area or small town outside of the big city and commute. Small town life in NC is definitely not like Mayberry anymore. But there are still lots of good spots to live. I'm a couple hours west of Raleigh outside of Salisbury. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 8:10 PM, SCgarman said:

Formerly of western NY? (Bills)

Yes and yes. From Rochester job moved me here 20 years ago. Big bills fan go bills