Wine and Cigar Masterclass?

On 7/1/2022 at 9:38 AM, El Presidente said:

I am putting together a Zoom session wine and cigar Masterclass. Ken doesn't know about it as yet ;)....but it will be Saturday evening US time in order that the Aussie lads can join. 

We will limit it to 15 people on screen but we will record and replay the session. 

Ken will decide on the wine style next week and I will pick the cigar or range of cigars that we will be smoking/pairing with the wine.  This will give you plenty of time to track down a bottle and to get your cigar ready for the session. 

I am not calling for participants today, but I will be doing so next week :ok:

one does find some surprises on the internet, doesn't one!

• Like 3

Loved the champagne masterclass. Anyone that attends will love this. My wife said it was the quietest she'd ever seen me on a zoom call. :) I said well I have never learned anything by talking in class. Old lesson learned. :) I got tons of info from that one. I highly expect this one to be the same. 👍

On 7/1/2022 at 12:28 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

Hope to join if I can.

You should be the first invite.😁

1 hour ago, Nevrknow said:

Loved the champagne masterclass. Anyone that attends will love this. My wife said it was the quietest she'd ever seen me on a zoom call. :) I said well I have never learned anything by talking in class. Old lesson learned. :) I got tons of info from that one. I highly expect this one to be the same. 👍

You should be the first invite.😁

I don't put thought into cigar pairings.  It will be good to learn why he suggests pairings as such.  I'll give it thought & practice in the future.  Wine/port and cigars are usually only when friends are over.  Need something to go with cigars after dinner.  Hard liquor at that point of the night would just give the KO.

I've been on a Sauvignon Blanc tear over the last few months.  Would love to see on on that varietal.  

41 minutes ago, Kitchen said:

I've been on a Sauvignon Blanc tear over the last few months.  Would love to see on on that varietal.  

Unless and until Di replaces Ken as the “pro“, my guess is this has precisely zero chance of happening.

I've found Reds to be the least successful pairings for me. Unless you're talking Port.  But. This could be an interesting path for the session to take.  I'm already a fan of bubbly and various white wines that go very well cigars.  So, I'd be interested to see what red varietals make the cut and don't. 

• Like 1

👆 this.  Port, Bubbly (and some flat Chards), Riesling, Sauternes.  After that prefer switch to non-peated Scotch malt, Armagnac, Cognac.  Love peated malts but haven't found them to be that successful as a pairing -- the smoke and/or earthy peat competes with the cigar, for me.

• Like 1

Moscato Asti can kind of work IMHO. As far as red goes, I guess it would have to be low on tannin, maybe earthy, maybe sweet. Rose', beaujolais? Very interested to watch the replay. Cheers.