Deep Dive: Trinidad Fundadores

El Presidente

Trinidad Fundadores   

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trinidad Fundadores 

For me the Trinidad Fundadores is one of the classiest cigars that leaves Cuba's shores. Not everyone is convinced and there is nothing wrong with that!

Let's talk Trinidad Fundadores 

• Do you like  Trinidad Fundadores 
  • Where does it stand compared to Cohiba lancero and Monte Especial?
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Trinidad Fundadores 
  • Do the poll!

Trinidad Fundadores ! :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Perfect format. The 2019/2020 blends are better than I have ever seen. I think there were two blend changes. One around 2007/08, another in 2019/2020.  Regrettably, I have only 20 or so left of the '19's. Way better than the Cohiba, are we really comparing the Monte's? 🙂

• Like 2

I love the Cohiba Lancero but when the Fundies are on man they are better than the lancero. 

14 minutes ago, dominattorney said:

Try not to think about it

The Trini Fundi is one of the classiest cigars ever made. I have a few 2005’s left for special occasions, but I can not compare it to the Lanceros. I can not compare because I have never had a Lancero. Looking for my first Lancero soon from FOH. Especial is a great cigar but it’s half the cigar that the Fundi is. 

When they are on, there isn’t much better. I have found them a bit inconsistent. All are good. But some are out of this world. Probably my favorite stick if price wasn’t a factor. 

• Like 3

Beautiful looking, elegant cigar but I've never had one that didnt have draw issues. I remember a box of 12 where every single one was like a drum stick.
What small amount of flavour I could get out of them was great though but there wasn't much of it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NicPac said:

When they are on, there isn’t much better. I have found them a bit inconsistent. All are good. But some are out of this world. Probably my favorite stick if price wasn’t a factor. 

Same with me. I’d reach for one everyday but for price. Been lucky with them too, less construction issues with the fundy than comparable Cohibas, which have had some terrible construction issues. 

• Like 2

The two I have had were nice but not drop dead chase the dragon experiences. Three left, for almost two years, and I likely won’t have more unless handed one. 
For me, the stick is just not as compelling a proposition as others. Now add in the price differential and dare I say I may be tapping out on Trin. 
Every man’s CC journey is different and mine did not include Fundi, even under the old prices. It won’t for sure under the new pricing. 

• Like 1

The original production release wasn't as good as the lore, but they gradually got better and better each year.  By 2007 or so they arrived as a worth contender to the Lancero.  I have some early 2000's cardboard boxes where they taste pretty flat.  Note to self, "do not let cardboard box cigars sit too long..."

I like the bigger ring gauge of the Fundadores over the Lancero, but like the Lancero blend a touch more.  Happily smoke either exclusively if I had to.

• Probably my top 3 regular production cigar.
  • Cohiba Lancero edges it out but only because the CoLo is fuller. Monte Especial is 2 notches below a Fundy.
  • I haven't noticed a body change. I have some 2014s and some 2019s and the core flavor profile is the same.
  • Smoking time is between 2:25 and 2:50
  • Like 4

This is just teasing. I have about 3/4 of a 2019 box left and that is probably my lot given almost zero availability now, and new pricing if they ever return. Wonderful cigar, now reserved for very special occasions.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?  - I seem to remember a great batch of Trinidad Fundadores with RAG/ARS 2017/18 box codes that had rounder coffee, dough, tea cake and almond nut flavours profiles. The ones I've sampled of late haven't been this 'rounded'.

This makes me want to dig into my last box I have. Box code RAG MAY 18. Gonna be that much harder to stay away from them now. 

• Like 1

I believe the key to the Fundi is to enjoy it slowly, retrohaling, but again slowly.  That's when it's many flavors, richness and transitions show through.  

In fairness, I've only enjoyed with as many as 4.5 years on them.  I can't wait to discover what more years will bring.  

(Enjoying an ARS Dic 2017 right now, and the last third is ratcheting up very nicely.)  

(Later edit:  nubbed it.)

• Like 3

I enjoyed one off an ARS 2019 box. I loved it as the couple I had before from same box. Wish I had more stock and more time to enjoy more often. 

I'll be in the minority & say this cigar has lost its mojo over the years, much like Trova. While yummy, the toasted marshmallow & cookie dough character is pretty hollow.  I just don't get a real sense of complexity when I smoke them, especially compared to a CoLa.  It could use a little more power like the Trini of old.