the annual tripe/offal lunch

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i made certain that every photo went into my system the correct way up. this useless heap of electrons has stuffed everything.

Always happy to assist. Looks better now, doesn't it? (By the way, nice lunch!)

• Like 1

"Offal".  The one food that lives up to it's name. (at least phonetically) 🤮 😁  I have bad memories of my mom cooking that stuff when I was a kid. She didn't force it on us thankfully.  As bad as it was, the smell of boiled pig's feet was more traumatic.  I could smell it from 1km away. 

That wine lineup probably made it bearable. :)

• Like 1

Looks like you have to drink lots of wine before you can eat that stuff.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Puros Y Vino said:

"Offal".  The one food that lives up to it's name. (at least phonetically) 🤮 😁 

Why I always find “innards” more ear friendly. Delish when cooked well (not a fan of brains though) - ox tongue, or udder cooked and lightly smoked - hmmm. If you are lucky to find it - as nowadays, no one will buy it. Which is a shame.

On 4/1/2022 at 4:16 AM, Ken Gargett said:

this year, i also asked about timpano -

Seems it needs a lot of eardrums to make a meal. 😅

The Pettenthal Großes Gewächs from Gunderloch is a steal!

By the way, lamb or roe deer (!) liver and sweet(er) Riesling is such a great combo.

Interesting post. You should treat them to a delicacy from the US South next time- Fried Livermush. It's name turns many people off and honestly it looks sort of plain when you put it on a plate. But it is truly delicious. At least in my opinion.   

Stock photo:

image.jpeg.ee21b90c376e3e0495f054332c716f08.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TobaccoRoad said:

Interesting post. You should treat them to a delicacy from the US South next time- Fried Livermush. It's name turns many people off and honestly it looks sort of plain when you put it on a plate. But it is truly delicious. At least in my opinion.  

Throw in some sousemeat with that.

• Like 1

Livermush is pork liver, other asst'd pork scraps with corn meal and spices. Sousemeat is a head cheese made from pig heads. Both are fully cooked, formed into blocks and you slice and eat. Sort of like Spam made from pork offal. Livermush is a little more mainstream. It's pretty common restaurant menu item fried up and served with eggs. I love it sliced cold on a two pcs. of white bread with mustard. Sousemeat is not as common. I tried sousemeat sandwiches with my Dad when I was little, but never really cared for it. It's not the flavor but the appearance and the texture of it. That said, many consider it a delicacy.

You ain’t lived until you’ve had a healthy portion of Lutefisk and Lefsa. 😀

2 hours ago, TobaccoRoad said:

Livermush is pork liver, other asst'd pork scraps with corn meal and spices. Sousemeat is a head cheese made from pig heads. Both are fully cooked, formed into blocks and you slice and eat. Sort of like Spam made from pork offal. Livermush is a little more mainstream. It's pretty common restaurant menu item fried up and served with eggs. I love it sliced cold on a two pcs. of white bread with mustard. Sousemeat is not as common. I tried sousemeat sandwiches with my Dad when I was little, but never really cared for it. It's not the flavor but the appearance and the texture of it. That said, many consider it a delicacy.

My mom used to make me fried mush with butter and syrup for breakfast but I've never had livermush; sounds pretty good.  This thread has my mouth watering but would have my wife gagging.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TobaccoRoad said:

always happy to try anything but i am not sure you are doing it any favours by comparing it to spam. 

• Haha 1

I will eat anything that tastes good to me. Texture is important too. Some of the best things I have ever eaten would be considered gross by some: head cheese, pigs feet, morcilla/blood sausage (not sure if that counts), monkfish liver (ankimo), And I’ve had plenty of other parts that I thought were quite good. 

On the ofher end for me is tripe. Menudo: a spicy soup that is good for hangovers….that sounds like something I’d eat every day but I can’t even get near it. My wife is Dominican….she took me to a place in Miami called Mondongo’s…which specializes in the tripe soup of that name. I thought give me a few cold beers and some hot sauce how bad could it be? I couldn’t even smell it. It was like my body telling me “do not eat that.” I can’t even put into words how repulsed I was. The thing is if someone told me “this guy makes the world’s best tripe” I’d at least attempt to get close enough to it to eat it. Hasn’t happened yet! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, captaincaveman said:

Wow! Extremely jealous!

If you've never partaken, I would always recommend cheek as something that is an often overlooked, delicious culinary treat.

agree with cheek but over here, i think cheek is now pretty much mainstream rather than anything rare, weird etc. 

7 hours ago, El Hoze said:

On the ofher end for me is tripe. 

I love cooking with Tripe. I love eating Tripe!

Tripe (Honeycomb) be it done Asian black bean style or Galician with garbanzos/chorizo/hock are both in my top 20 dishes. Gorgeous. 

I have however seen and tasted the tripe crap served to my anglo mates at their homes. Jesus wept. :covereyes:

• Haha 1