MoeFOH's Album of the Week... Week #2

8/10

It's definitely a classic, but it's got a couple of songs with very predictable rhymes (nice the first couple of times but kind of empty after a while), and the sound effect intros get old, especially when listening to the tracks out of order (though that may be blasphemy).

To me this album is better than the wall, but a little behind their other less "pop" albums.

• Like 3

Stands the test of time. The production still holds up,and yes the album has quirks,but is offset if nothing else than by Any Colour You Like . Fantastic playing from Gilmour on this album. Any time I get new speakers or a new stereo ,anything like that,I know that if DSOTM sounds good it's working. Given the times,it is a solid 10 of an album to me,and the guitar solo on TIME is one for the ages. 10/10.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, RichG said:

While I agree that some individual tracks don’t stand up to the more complex offerings of Floyd, I think this album succeeds as a whole concept in a way very few do. It was/is very commercially accessible, while simultaneously being an incredible piece of art.

That's a damn good summary... with or without proper chemicals 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am I allowed to have a dissenting opinion? 😁

If I want to hear this album I can hear most of it in a CVS or Walmart, I find it quite unexciting and wildly overplayed/overworshipped.

It's training wheels for psychedelic/prog, not that I really consider it psychedelic and generally don't enjoy commercial prog much (though I like the prog coming from the krautrock scene a little more).

Edited by NapaNolan
  • Like 1

Just now, RichG said:

My wife is going to be so confused next time we are 30 minutes into a shopping trip at Walmart, and the shrooms I ate in anticipation of the possibility of this album playing start to kick in.

30 minutes in Walmart sounds worse than 30 minutes of Dark Side of the Moon 😜

• Haha 3

On 3/28/2022 at 6:20 PM, NapaNolan said:

If I want to hear this album I can hear most of it in a CVS or Walmart, I find it quite unexciting and wildly overplayed/overworshipped.

i've got to mostly agree. that said, if the writing is uninteresting, the production is great, though a bit dramatic.

my favorite floyd album, and the only one i regularly listen to, is animals. waaay underrated, but/and not so crowd-pleasing.

-dobbs

• Like 2

This is one of a handful of classic rock albums that, IMO, is worthy of all the accolades. The intro to 'Time' is about as perfect a buildup as a song can have; although I think the best song on the album is Brain Damage. Throughout the album each transition for each song fits perfectly. The whole album itself is classic in everyway. If there's one bad thing I can say about it, it's that a couple of the tracks have been beaten to death by the retail giants (eg. Money, Time, Us and Them). Solid 9/10 for me. 

6 hours ago, dobbs said:

i've got to mostly agree. that said, if the writing is uninteresting, the production is great, though a bit dramatic.

my favorite floyd album, and the only one i regularly listen to, is animals. waaay underrated, but/and not so crowd-pleasing.

-dobbs

4 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Meddle is good too. Hell I love all the Floyd albums from time to time.

Both of these are AMAZING albums too. In my high school years these were BY FAR the most listened to by me. Animals is probably peak floyd IMO and Meddle flies under the radar so often, but the jams they get into on that album are awesome.  

• Like 1

A great album no doubt. 

But, before we were married my wife lived in an apartment where the guys next door played DSOTM relentlessly. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing and I will swear to you that no Pink Floyd has played more than 30 seconds on radio, stereo, or tv in my house while she was home in more than 30 years.

Nobody has even mentioned the totally awesome green filtered poster of the Giza pyramids that came as an insert? My memory seems to believe that there were two wall posters included with the album, but that was many “cigars” ago... 😬

Great album! Smokin’ doobies in the ‘70’s just wouldn’t have been the same without it! Has withstood the test of time. 9.80/10

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Nobody has even mentioned the totally awesome green filtered poster of the Giza pyramids that came as an insert? My memory seems to believe that there were two wall posters included with the album, but that was many “cigars” ago... 😬

Great album! Smokin’ doobies in the ‘70’s just wouldn’t have been the same without it! Has withstood the test of time. 9.80/10

I have an original vinyl pressing with said posters,still intact!

• Like 2