Do you still have cigars from when you first started?

I started smoking cigars on a regular basis around 2005-7 as I was in my 20s and just started working full time. My first CCs were in 2007 as I dove in head first with a box of Cohiba Siglo VI (OSE JUN 06). I thought I overpaid, spending $500 on 25 cigars! Fast forward to 2019 when I was not really smoking that much (like maybe one a month) for the past seven years due to not having too much spare time outside of family and work. I couldn't believe those Siglo VI have doubled in price! Since I wasn't smoking much, I sold a fiver for $200 with two left. I started picking up the hobby mid 2020 and still have two more of those Siglo VI.

Do you have any cigars from when you first started the hobby?

• Like 4

Oooof 5er for $200. That’s a steal of a deal. 

I started in 2016. My wedding had a cigar bar and I loved it. Fast forward a couple months and my wife got me a humidor with a bunch of cigars. I think the only cigar I have from that bunch is a Davidoff special R. But, I still have boxes of CC I started purchasing soon after that. Can’t bring myself to smoke that davidoff even tho I know it’s probably meh 

• Like 3

My first CC purchase was in 2016, it was 3 boxes, one was AMO Abr 16 Esplendidos. I made a serious effort at making sure I took most of the box to the 5 year mark, often thinking I’d never make it along the way. Still have about half the box, and they’re definitely something special now.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Bri Fi said:

I started in 2016. My wedding had a cigar bar and I loved it. Fast forward a couple months and my wife got me a humidor with a bunch of cigars. I think the only cigar I have from that bunch is a Davidoff special R. But, I still have boxes of CC I started purchasing soon after that. Can’t bring myself to smoke that davidoff even tho I know it’s probably meh 

I can relate! For me, I had a cigar or two when I was in college, nothing serious. I remember really liking the Rocky Patel 1990s, lol. What really got me into premium cigars was the first time that Cigar Aficionado did their Top 25 list in 2005. The Siglo VI was #3 on that list and the fact that Cohiba was mentioned in the movie Hotel Rwanda was the reason why I went for the Siglo VI. However, the cigar that I really wanted was the #1 cigar on that list, the Padron 40th Anniversary. I was able to get one at a shop years ago randomly and felt like I just found the last unicorn. After saving it for years, I smoked that a few years ago. It was a good cigar, but nothing too memorable.

• Like 3

I started smoking Cuban cigars in 2016. I have managed to save one R&J Short Churchill tubo from my first CC order. I had also ordered siglo Is and Monte 4s, but didn’t save any of those unfortunately. The R&J looks decent and smells amazing, but I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to bring myself to smoke it now. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, coug28 said:

8 or 9 2009 Trinidad Robusto Ts 

7 EL 2010 BHK 54s 

Whoa, original release Behikes...and Robusto T’s...you’re sitting on some gold right there. Well done!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Still have some smokes purchased in the late '90s. Mostly NC or plugged Habanos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jack said:

When I started aggressively buying cigars in the 1990's I tried to buy two boxes of each item I wanted - to have one to try and one to age.  So I've ended up with boxes from that era that I've never even opened.

Here's a box of Montecristo No. 2 from 1996 that's still sitting around wondering why its been ignored:

That box is begging to be cracked open!

I started smoking cigars in the mid 90's. Davidoff Grand Cru #2 was one of the first that I still remember. The oldest cigar that I still have is a Davidoff pyramid from the box of cigars I was giving away as gifts for the birth of my second son back in 1998. Finally found Rob in 1999 and have been a customer ever since! Seeing what some cigars go for on Bond Roberts, i'm kicking myself for smoking them and not saving to resell later!

• Like 2

First cigar(s) I knew were legitimate were a pack of Siglo IIIs a friend brought back for me from Cuba in 2005 and were gone in short order.  The first box I bought was Siglo IIs from '06 and lasted only a few months. 

At the time I didn't understand aging or having sufficient inventories to give the option of long-term storage,  but I knew I was hooked. 

Cheers!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, coug28 said:

Started with NCs back in 2008, those are all long gone save for but a few nostalgic Liga Privada T52s. 

Some of my first CC purchases I still have though:

15+ sticks for a POL 2011 RASS Cab 

Just a few USE 08 Upmann Mag 46 also from a 50 Cab

8 or 9 2009 Trinidad Robusto Ts 

7 EL 2010 BHK 54s 

and a handful of 09 Upmann 2s and Monte 2s 

I’m not a daily/frequent smoker, so it’s easier for me to let stuff age. If only I wasn’t so reluctant at the price of Cohiba back then when they were 1/5th of what they cost now. I recall the two 2010 Behike 54 boxes I bought from here were under $300 each at the time. Glory days of cigar buying (cue the Springsteen!). 

Feel so privileged to have a few of those Mag 46s!  Definitely waiting on the right occasion to fire up the first one.

My first purchase of cigars was in 2016 in Cuba on a trip as a grad student of very humble means. Bought a 10er of PSD5 and a few tubos of various vitolas. Of them, I still have one more PSD5 and two Mag46 tubos remaining.  

• Like 3

I’m afraid I smoked everything I bought in the beginning, that was about 15 yrs ago. It started out with me buying singles and smoking them that day or the next, I didn’t buy a humidor until years later. The first box I bought was Monte 4, I think I went through that first box in a month. 
Only in the last 5 or so years I’ve started to buy more than I smoke. 

• Like 2