El Laguito Factory Visit

3 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I didn’t think to check.  But I have some UAO OCT 19 cigars that I bought here, so it was still UAO as of last month.

i did learn that BRE is La Corona though.  I don’t know if we already knew that or not.  I asked them where the Monte Gran Pyramids were rolled and that is where they said.  My box is BRE.

That almost seems like a mistake as consensus here is BRE is Upmann and LGR is La Corona based on the brands rolled from each code lol.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I met with the director of the El Laguito factory today.  I got a very nice tour and didn’t leave empty handed.? The two of us in his office.  A really nice guy. He gave me a cigar to smo

I stuck my finger in one and they turned it on. They still work.  I can attest to that.  Their effectiveness is a different story.     Felt really weird around my finger, like someone was sucki

Your blood has to test positive for hay and honey

On 11/22/2019 at 12:11 PM, RDB said:

Especially cool of the director to find you those dark and light Talismans. Did he give you his thoughts on the impact of wrapper shade?

On 11/22/2019 at 1:28 PM, SigmundChurchill said:

He said that only the most experienced cigar smokers can taste the difference...

Muzza, he knows! ?

23 hours ago, bbguardsp said:

That almost seems like a mistake as consensus here is BRE is Upmann and LGR is La Corona based on the brands rolled from each code lol.

Who has a link to the running (short list) of factory codes?  Not the long 24:24 one, but the condensed one that list factory names associated with codes?

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, SigmundChurchill said:

I didn’t think to check.  But I have some UAO OCT 19 cigars that I bought here, so it was still UAO as of last month.

i did learn that BRE is La Corona though.  I don’t know if we already knew that or not.  I asked them where the Monte Gran Pyramids were rolled and that is where they said.  My box is BRE.

This is interesting.  I had thought BRE was Upmann and LGR was La Corona.  All Diplo and SCDLH I have seen has been LGR.   

Just now, Wailbait said:

This is interesting.  I had thought BRE was Upmann and LGR was La Corona.  All Diplo and SCDLH I have seen has been LGR.   

Well, there are only four possibilities here.

1. He was mistaken about the factory.

2. He was intentionally misleading about the factory.

3. Our group is mistaken about the factory.

4. The Monte Gran Piramides were rolled at more than one factory, and he only mentioned one of them.

Knowing that I have seen special cigars with more than one box code in the past, I would lean toward number 4, but I would leave it to someone more knowledgeable than I, to determine the definitive answer.  Perhaps if we could find out if any of the Gran Piramides have an LGR box code, we would know for sure.

I’m on your team for #4 as well.  I would guess the Monte GP will be rolled around quite a few factories.  I don’t claim to know for sure either, but Diplo and SCDLH have tended to be rolled at La Corona so I usually use those two marcas for me to decipher the current La Corona code (EML->TOS —> LGR etc).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

4. The Monte Gran Piramides were rolled at more than one factory, and he only mentioned one of them.

Knowing that I have seen special cigars with more than one box code in the past, I would lean toward number 4, but I would leave it to someone more knowledgeable than I, to determine the definitive answer.  Perhaps if we could find out if any of the Gran Piramides have an LGR box code, we would know for sure.

Yea, #4 is most likely.  It's a firmly held belief in the community that BRE is indeed Upmann factory.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 12:24 AM, SigmundChurchill said:

For a long time I thought La Corona was LGR too. But when I visited last week on the day you guys arrived I saw the stamping of the boxes. I think each factory might have multiple box codes. Remember I told you they were packaging the Romeo y Julietta China duty free humidor for that market... That stamp read ROM. So there's another box code to contend with in case we weren't confused enough.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Really, and confirmed? That would be a first for me.

Well, from what I can see,  at least operating at the same time for a period. LGR is La Corona. Francisco Donatien were operating a couple of codes for at least a quarter of 2019. 

7 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Well, from what I can see,  at least operating at the same time for a period. LGR is La Corona. Francisco Donatien were operating a couple of codes for at least a quarter of 2019.

Thanks Rob, I think this would be of some "scientific" significance (with CCW in mind also), as long as we're sure it is not an observation done e.g. during a regular code-switching period. Or perhaps in a situation where - like e.g. conceivable during "renovations" - a part (production line) of a factory is moved to another building/fabrica - resulting in a situation that would be more resembling "two-factories-one-building" rather than "two-codes-one-factory", etc.

So I guess, this is truly important info that would need some thorough scrutiny, at least before being qualified to be used for proper "publication", that's why I ask. Would be great if we could collect more of such info.

3 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Thanks Rob, I think this would be of some "scientific" significance (with CCW in mind also), as long as we're sure it is not an observation done e.g. during a regular code-switching period. Or perhaps in a situation where - like e.g. conceivable during "renovations" - a part (production line) of a factory is moved to another building/fabrica - resulting in a situation that would be more resembling "two-factories-one-building" rather than "two-codes-one-factory", etc.

So I guess, this is truly important info that would need some thorough scrutiny, at least before being qualified to be used for proper "publication", that's why I ask. Would be great if we could collect more of such info.

I agree. Let's pool the resources. 

For the record, ROM was a predominantly 2016 /2017 code. A quick check shows Fonseca 1 being predominantly ROM coded (the ones we received at least) + Monte Double Edmundo + JLS2. All are regularly rolled at La Corona. 

The question is why is ROM being used again in 2019. LGR is being used on Dip 2's as late as AGO 19.

• Thanks 1