Where Are My Coffee Geeks At?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raising my hand over here! I actually roast my own for small batches. I enjoy an espresso from time to time but give me a french press cup of light roasted coffee and I'm a half step away from levitat

Not trying to brag or anything but it does turn itself on and off…  

Upcoming ‘vintage’ 😁

3 hours ago, daleighan said:

No, I'm in Los Angeles, but order from Bird Rock online.

Gotcha. One weekend we should have herd and drink a lot of coffee! I’ve never tried Birdrock but I should. They have so many high rated reviews and they get some really special beans. 

I bought my son a coffee roasting machine for Christmas. He buys organic Ethiopian beans, and has become quite the roaster. The stuff he makes is delicious. 

Fresh delivery. Roasted 5/6 and delivered yesterday, so 2 day turn around. fb743ecb3f4be8e62a7db6d380ac2a8c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Where does one buy these amazing coffees from? is there a "FOH" for the beans?  
Look for the company websites. They probably take single orders or subscriptions that automatically renew. If you don't see the one you want direct, lots of the big online stores carry a lot of stuff too.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Look for the company websites. They probably take single orders or subscriptions that automatically renew. If you don't see the one you want direct, lots of the big online stores carry a lot of stuff too.

Sounds good, my local grocer does a pretty good selection that is always changing. I buy that counter culture you pictured, stump town, and what ever looks good to me. Do you order online because of availability, freshness, or just because ?

Sounds good, my local grocer does a pretty good selection that is always changing. I buy that counter culture you pictured, stump town, and what ever looks good to me. Do you order online because of availability, freshness, or just because ?
I order online because I have a hard time finding fresh roasted bags on store shelves. If I order counter culture on the 1st, it's roasted on the 2nd and delivered to my door on the 3rd. It's also more convenient because the website has more variety than most of my local shops. The exception being their magnolia blend, which I've only ever seen in bulk containers at whole foods, and it's one of my favorites.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, prodigy said:

I order online because I have a hard time finding fresh roasted bags on store shelves. If I order counter culture on the 1st, it's roasted on the 2nd and delivered to my door on the 3rd. It's also more convenient because the website has more variety than most of my local shops. The exception being their magnolia blend, which I've only ever seen in bulk containers at whole foods, and it's one of my favorites.

awesome, thank you. I am pursing their website right now. 

speaking of the Hario V60, any opinions about the material for the funnel? Plastic, ceramic, glass or metal? I'm about to order one, not actually too fussed, but I may as well make a solid decision.

I prefer glass. Better for the dishwasher and I don’t trust plastic to not impart flavors after extended use. Metal gets too hot.

I love coffee although wouldnt call myself a geek. Ive got an entry level sunbeam espresso machine, a breville smart grinder and always buy locally roasted high quality beans like fiori or yahava or geisha etc. Pretty happy with my set up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I love pourover but here lately I haven't had so much time so I've been using my nespresso machine. It's about time to order some fresh beans and break out the Hario. I normally order from Counter Culture, Paradise, or Blue Bottle...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've had a Brevill entry level espresso machine, a brace of french presses, a gaggle of different sized Bialetti pots and was going nowhere fast. In fact, I was so unsatisfied, I simply put all the gear in the back of the cupboard and was picking up a Tim Hortons on the way to work. Yeah, that bad!

Like @canadianbeaver, I discovered the Technivorm Mokkamaster and haven't looked back since. I've gone through a few bean grinders and just sprung for a Kitchenaid Pro-Line grinder which I am - so far - happy with.

I'm getting an itch to roast my own beans but haven't a clue where to start and roasting machines remain a bit of a mystery to me.

I'd be appreciative of any pointers or recommendations from the home roasters out there.

So I see a few Jura fans on here. Having never used anything like this , how quick is it to make a coffee? I am NOT a morning person, and don't have the patience to fool with separate grinding, measuring etc. How long does it actually take? Is it quite quick and easy? I don't want to drop what is large $$$ for me, only to find its still a bit of a process. 

So I see a few Jura fans on here. Having never used anything like this , how quick is it to make a coffee? I am NOT a morning person, and don't have the patience to fool with separate grinding, measuring etc. How long does it actually take? Is it quite quick and easy? I don't want to drop what is large $$$ for me, only to find its still a bit of a process. 

Quick, easy and awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thanks! Not a big cleanup after each use?

Nope. After something like 20-25 cups you dump the grounds and then I wipe out that container, the tray and good to go again. Then based on usage you do things like put a cleaning tab and run it or change the filter but that isn’t often and it tells you when it’s time to do it.

All in all, easy to maintain and even easier to use.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 11:17 PM, LLC said:

Nope. After something like 20-25 cups you dump the grounds and then I wipe out that container, the tray and good to go again. Then based on usage you do things like put a cleaning tab and run it or change the filter but that isn’t often and it tells you when it’s time to do it.

All in all, easy to maintain and even easier to use.

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Well....thought I'd update. After procrastinating as I seem to do, I finally bought a Jura S8 today. A lot of money, but WOW does this ever do a great job! Best cappuccino I have ever had, and haven't even tweaked the settings yet. Probably better for me also, as I usually drink coffee with a fair bit of cream and sugar to like the taste. No more grinding beans,less mess, and quicker. Now to try out some different beans. I have been using Starbucks Verona for years, but will try out some others. They rec. not to use an oily roast, so I'll poke around to see whats out there.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

They rec. not to use an oily roast, so I'll poke around to see whats out there.

I have the jura a1, typically I use dark roast but not insanely oily.

I remember the automatic we had at work (not a jura) would get stuck using the Starbucks french roast as it was so oily the beans clumped together. I think my jura has a wide enough bean receptacle that that might not happen but still that's what I would think would be the limit.

I've definitely used a lot Italian roasts at 7/10 maybe 8/10. Used a lot of the dark kicking horse coffees when I started out, but prices on those have really gone up.

• Like 4

I'm a pour over guy, The best coffee I had was from Uganda. It was a dark french. I'm off to our Local Coffee Roasting company we are fortunate to have for some good company and a Mexican mocha,the best in town!

• Like 1

Big coffee fan have both a 155 Kalita and a V60 no2. Favorite kinds of coffees are natural African (Ethiopian usually) and some really top end South American.

One thing that I found that made a HUGE difference is using formulated water instead of tap/filter. I prefer GC water, though lots of options these days.

Favorite roasters are La Cabra (Denmark) and Onyx (USA).

P.S Also my first post here!!!

• Like 3