Where Are My Coffee Geeks At?

Who among us makes a cup of coffee or pulls a shot, it tastes great, but instead of enjoying it you say hmm how can I make this taste better? I’m not talking about in a Mr. Coffee I’m talking about fresh ground beans, a pour over/immersion or a nice espresso machine.

Who out there is a total coffee geek like me? I can’t get enough! My cigar addiction is far greater, but I always find myself buying new accessories for my espresso machine. Today I got a Saint Anthony Industries New Levy Tamp and Wedge Distributor. 

If your stateside, who is your go-to roaster? My go-to lately has been Topeca Coffee Roasters, they won the 2018 US Roaster Cup and their prices are insane for their accolades.

3814AC14-B59B-4CB3-8884-E7C6A151DEE9.thumb.jpeg.e1dd1408e023e60028e3de3b60368b27.jpeg

Topeca Coffee Roasters Signature Espresso and Ethiopia Beriti SO

F9406F52-9161-48CC-B663-E68CE40AC7F1.thumb.jpeg.7369544d632a37c8b63631eb3b79c954.jpeg

Lucca A53 Mini by La Spaziale, Eureka Atom and a Baratza Vario W

12870459-9883-4202-9B97-7DCCA2C87020.thumb.jpeg.d257de35b3dd0d706878634cd0dc379d.jpeg

Saint Anthony Industries New Levy Tamp and Wedge Distributor 

Post some pictures of your setup! 

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raising my hand over here! I actually roast my own for small batches. I enjoy an espresso from time to time but give me a french press cup of light roasted coffee and I'm a half step away from levitat

Not trying to brag or anything but it does turn itself on and off…  

Upcoming ‘vintage’ 😁

I have made pourover every day for the last 3-4 years. I have multiple chemex, hario v60, aeropress, french press, several burr grinders, hand burr grinder, scales...lol it is my first love before cigars. One thing that I haven't gotten into is espresso. I want an espresso machine but with all the choices out there...hard for me to pull the trigger. Also, I am putting a house on airbnb and I want to set up a coffee station. It will have grinder, scale, chemex, etc. I am thinking about an espresso machine there--yay or nay? I'm afraid someone will break it, but also this house will be on the pricier side to weed out all the kids/parties/etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

I have made pourover every day for the last 3-4 years. I have multiple chemex, hario v60, aeropress, french press, several burr grinders, hand burr grinder, scales...lol it is my first love before cigars. One thing that I haven't gotten into is espresso. I want an espresso machine but with all the choices out there...hard for me to pull the trigger. Also, I am putting a house on airbnb and I want to set up a coffee station. It will have grinder, scale, chemex, etc. I am thinking about an espresso machine there--yay or nay? I'm afraid someone will break it, but also this house will be on the pricier side to weed out all the kids/parties/etc.

If you need help picking an espresso machine I’d be glad to help :) Your pourover collection sounds identical to mine! I make an aeropress every morning for myself and a Chemex when I brew for a few. I like my V60 for South America’s because the thinner filter lets a lot more oils through and it tastes a lot fuller. I rarely go the French press route these days. I just got myself a Kalita Wave and I’ve been having fun with that too. Cuban coffee is fun to make with a Mokapot if you’ve never given it a try you should!!

Espresso is really finicky and isn’t tailored to beginners so if it were to be for new people every weekend, I’d go with something automated. Nespresso is frowned upon but does the trick. There are some really nice fully automated machines that grind/tamp/extract for you, you just put the coffee in but they’re around $1500. Would definitely be a nice touch!

4 minutes ago, SmokyFontaine said:

Raising my hand over here! I actually roast my own for small batches. I enjoy an espresso from time to time but give me a french press cup of light roasted coffee and I'm a half step away from levitating with crossed legs in the middle of a trance. 

I'm probably one of the very few here who doesn't drink any alcohol, so if I'm pairing a cigar it's almost exclusively tea or coffee (I usually prefer just a bit of milk mixed in). Happy to snob out and talk about which origins I like the most if that level of detail is meaningful to anyone).

Just starting my cuban cigar adventure and finding that I prefer tea with a Cuban more than coffee. Coffee goes great if you (gasp) enjoy Nicaraguan flavor bombs or Dominican milds. 

You’re speaking my language! I don’t trust myself enough to dive into roasting but I would love to learn. That’s next level craft! And no gasping over here, currently smoking a Davidoff Art Edition 2016. 

Whats your favorite single origin bean? For French press I really love Guatemala Huehuetenango Honey Processed. It adds so much depth and sweetness to the cup and balances out the viscous body of an immersion so well. 

Overall, my favorite region is East africa, my favorite origin being Yirgacheffe. So many good natural processes coffees from that region. I’d say my all time favorite is Aramo region of Ethiopia. My very first blueberry bomb was an Aramo Gayo and I dream of replicating that every time I brew a chemex. 

• Like 1

I taught myself how to roast, and highly recommend it. It's not as difficult as you'd think. Get a little sample roaster and you will be hooked!

And yes please, I need to make a decision if I want to take the extra step and add an espresso machine...i was thinking about making the house coffee sub-themed. Over either a beach/tiki theme and add either a Cuban or Costa Rican flair. 

I just made a v60 pourover of a papua new guinea. Wow this is an excellent coffee. I want to experiment with espresso. I have little to no experience in that. 

@Derboesekoenig if you want some top notch professional help picking an espresso setup, reach out to the folks at Clive Coffee in Portland. They helped me pick out my setup and i get everything from them except for beans. They’ll most likely recommend my setup to you as it’s their most popular and I definitely recommend it as well. The machine is $1895 and the grinder is $899 but it’s commercial grade and will last forever. If you’re looking to spend a whole lot (depending on how deep your pockets are) I’d recommend a Slayer paddle machine. They’re about $7700 but they’re flawless. I have major upgraditis so next time I make an espresso buy it’ll be a Slayer and I’ll never need to replace it because it’s creme de la creme. As for my next grinder, the Malkhonig Peak with the Puqpress automated Tamp would be my go to but that’s $3700 on its own. $11,400 in total but built to last a lifetime and can’t be upgraded so any upgrade desires will he settled lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joshhooper7 said:

@Derboesekoenig if you want some top notch professional help picking an espresso setup, reach out to the folks at Clive Coffee in Portland. They helped me pick out my setup and i get everything from them except for beans. They’ll most likely recommend my setup to you as it’s their most popular and I definitely recommend it as well. The machine is $1895 and the grinder is $899 but it’s commercial grade and will last forever. If you’re looking to spend a whole lot (depending on how deep your pockets are) I’d recommend a Slayer paddle machine. They’re about $7700 but they’re flawless. I have major upgraditis so next time I make an espresso buy it’ll be a Slayer and I’ll never need to replace it because it’s creme de la creme. As for my next grinder, the Malkhonig Peak with the Puqpress automated Tamp would be my go to but that’s $3700 on its own. $11,400 in total but built to last a lifetime and can’t be upgraded so any upgrade desires will he settled lol

I have a baratza vario sitting around somewhere...is that not good enough for espresso?

And yup, I've had a love affair with Slayers since they came out. I go out of my way to find the coffee shops/roasters that have one, and always go in asking questions.

I have baratza encore, vario, and preciso. And also a couple others. I don't think I can justify putting a Slayer in a house that'll be used for Airbnb 70% out of the year lol less than $2k is doable

26 minutes ago, joshhooper7 said:

You’re speaking my language! I don’t trust myself enough to dive into roasting but I would love to learn. That’s next level craft! And no gasping over here, currently smoking a Davidoff Art Edition 2016. 

Whats your favorite single origin bean? For French press I really love Guatemala Huehuetenango Honey Processed. It adds so much depth and sweetness to the cup and balances out the viscous body of an immersion so well. 

Overall, my favorite region is East africa, my favorite origin being Yirgacheffe. So many good natural processes coffees from that region. I’d say my all time favorite is Aramo region of Ethiopia. My very first blueberry bomb was an Aramo Gayo and I dream of replicating that every time I brew a chemex. 

Yah, you nailed it for me too. An Ethiopian Yirg is about as good as it gets for me. I love the floral and berry notes. The only thing I've enjoyed more is Yemen. A friend was a commercial roaster and the batches he made were the best I've ever had. I've tried roasting it too and it's good...but not as good as his. 

I've thought to try a few Nicaraguan origins to see if they shared any flavors with a really nice Padron but I wasn't detecting any. Have roasted wet processed Guat Hue and I liked it, but I think I should have gone a tad darker.

I roast on a little machine called a Behmor. Took me about a year to hit my stride with it, but now I put out pretty good stuff.

For green beans I buy from Sweet Maria's and The Coffee Project. Green coffee is incredibly seasonal so I've learned when I like a lot, load up. It's been a great hobby. A pound costs anywhere from $5-15 USD, then that yields around 13-14oz usually. 

Just one more hobby that puts off a ton of smoke. Throw in a backyard firepit night and before long my neighborhood is going to have the air quality of Beijing!

Wild, I live an hour and a half South of Portland!

?

2 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

I have a baratza vario sitting around somewhere...is that not good enough for espresso?

And yup, I've had a love affair with Slayers since they came out. I go out of my way to find the coffee shops/roasters that have one, and always go in asking questions.

I have baratza encore, vario, and preciso. And also a couple others. I don't think I can justify putting a Slayer in a house that'll be used for Airbnb 70% out of the year lol less than $2k is doable

I recommend the Slayer for you, the airbnb randoms will be lost in its presence lol. A vario with ceramic burrs will definitely make good espressos. Is it the W version? I love my Atom but sometimes I wish I had a weighted espresso grinder so I could get a 20g dose every time without putting it on a scale, would definitely make dialing in easier. 

I love my Vario, I replaced the ceramic burrs with steel burrs for a more consistent coarser grind for pourovers and immersion brews. 

2 minutes ago, SmokyFontaine said:

Yah, you nailed it for me too. An Ethiopian Yirg is about as good as it gets for me. I love the floral and berry notes. The only thing I've enjoyed more is Yemen. A friend was a commercial roaster and the batches he made were the best I've ever had. I've tried roasting it too and it's good...but not as good as his. 

I've thought to try a few Nicaraguan origins to see if they shared any flavors with a really nice Padron but I wasn't detecting any. Have roasted wet processed Guat Hue and I liked it, but I think I should have gone a tad darker.

I roast on a little machine called a Behmor. Took me about a year to hit my stride with it, but now I put out pretty good stuff.

For green beans I buy from Sweet Maria's and The Coffee Project. Green coffee is incredibly seasonal so I've learned when I like a lot, load up. It's been a great hobby. A pound costs anywhere from $5-15 USD, then that yields around 13-14oz usually. 

Just one more hobby that puts off a ton of smoke. Throw in a backyard firepit night and before long my neighborhood is going to have the air quality of Beijing! ?

If I take up any more counter space with a roaster my wife might kill me! Lol S&W Craft Roasters have a Yemen Moka Haraz Peaberry right now and it’s truly delightful. I’d love to try your coffee if your ever up for a coffee/cigar trade. I can snag a bag from my favorite local roaster!

• Like 1

Hmmm...so now the question presents itself: where is the best deal on a Slayer? You're right....it is a piece of art, they won't know what to do with it. I'll be the only one to use it when I visit for 50 or 60 days out of the year. 

Unfortunately it's not the weighted version. But I think I've only used it for a month or two, and packaged it up, hasn't been touched since. 

I am definitely a pretty big coffee nerd! I pretty much always use a hario v60 and drink a few cups a day! Lately, my favorite roaster has been Bar Nine here in Los Angeles. Mostly, I have been going through a ton of their Baru Gesha from Panama, which is really, really good. Im also a fan of Dragonfly Coffee roasters. Their Kenya Karindundu is tasty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daleighan said:

I am definitely a pretty big coffee nerd! I pretty much always use a hario v60 and drink a few cups a day! Lately, my favorite roaster has been Bar Nine here in Los Angeles. Mostly, I have been going through a ton of their Baru Gesha from Panama, which is really, really good. Im also a fan of Dragonfly Coffee roasters. Their Kenya Karindundu is tasty.

I am a massive fanboy of Geshas, have you tried S&W’s Guatemala Acentenango Gesha? I think second to Ethiopias for me my favorite is any Kenya AA+

LA has so many good roasters, I remember the first time I drove up from San Diego i stopped by Intelligentsia and felt like I was in the coffee Mecca lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Hmmm...so now the question presents itself: where is the best deal on a Slayer? You're right....it is a piece of art, they won't know what to do with it. I'll be the only one to use it when I visit for 50 or 60 days out of the year. 

Unfortunately it's not the weighted version. But I think I've only used it for a month or two, and packaged it up, hasn't been touched since. 

I’d contact Slayer direct, they’re a pretty small company and are so expensive any secondary retailers markup will make them substantially more expensive. 

2 hours ago, joshhooper7 said:

I’d contact Slayer direct, they’re a pretty small company and are so expensive any secondary retailers markup will make them substantially more expensive. 

I don't think I can justify spending that much...I've been thinking about the Rancilio Silvia or Rocket Appartamento

I do like a good cup. I had been roasting my own beans just on the stove top buying beans from Sweet Maria's as well I really like the Rwandan beans but I am down to Ethiopian Gara Jimma. I hadn't been roasting so much due to the availability of fresh roasted beans almost on every block here in Kuwait. It is cheaper and less time consuming to buy them just roasted. I have a burr grinder and only a French Press. It is a 40oz double wall insulated carafe that has 4 mesh filter screen and it produces a brew that has very little in the way of particulate. Of course the finest grinds end up at the bottom but it is far from a Turkish coffee ?. My daily morning cup is an RTIC 40oz Tumbler so the press works well for me.

Since there is no booze here, coffee has been my go to beverage when out. Since we are nearing summer I will make cold brew and keep it in the fridge or order it when out. Simple to make and extremely refreshing.

• Like 1

5 year home roaster here.

- Roasting on a Behmor 1600+ (Typically 9oz/255 grams)

- Drip brew on a Behmor Brazen (1100 feet at 201 degrees)

- Cuban Coffee style using a Bailetti Mocha Pot

Current roasting the crap out of Ethiopias. Doing a house blend of Ethiopias blended 50/50 roasted at City+ and Full City+/Vienna. Great blend of dark chocolate and the bright Ethiopian fruits. 

I have an i-Roast machine that I've had for about 15 years but have not used it much lately. This is due to the fresh roasted Peet's major Dickinson's blend I have been ordering online. It's usually a week old when delivered and simply the best coffee out there. IMPO.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Behmor 1600+, Rocky Rancillo grinder and Clever coffee dripper and beans from Sweet Maria's.  I like to switch around what beans we are roasting and brewing, but Kenya AA is one of our favorites.  I have roasted some Gesha lately and like it, but can't drink it everyday.  Last batch was Ethiopian and I roasted to just when it started the second crack and it was spectacular.  I use the Roastmaster app on my phone to track my inventory of green beans and my roasting times. 

I looove coffee. I even own a tiny coffee company. But I just use a cool machine

4ED072A8-4C5F-4512-8330-46D27F46074F.jpeg.0694518e30c31f8ecb5cea42b29a3f8a.jpeg

Moccamaster. Makes the coffee so nice and hot. Learned about it at this coffee tasting competition you guys would love.

You put three cups in 5 groups along a table. Can be little plastic cups. You pour one kind of coffee, perhaps your pride and joy, in one cup marked with dot on the bottom in each group. The other cups with other coffees.

Then you taste them and identify yours.

Between two is one thing. Between three is another.

The guys I was competing with had national companies and stores. Then my home office lolol.

I came in tied for third but had such a great day!

CB

PS. I like a bit of milk and sugar in my coffee to the horror of the coffee aficionados ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Str8BlkCoffee said:

I do like a good cup. I had been roasting my own beans just on the stove top buying beans from Sweet Maria's as well I really like the Rwandan beans but I am down to Ethiopian Gara Jimma. I hadn't been roasting so much due to the availability of fresh roasted beans almost on every block here in Kuwait. It is cheaper and less time consuming to buy them just roasted. I have a burr grinder and only a French Press. It is a 40oz double wall insulated carafe that has 4 mesh filter screen and it produces a brew that has very little in the way of particulate. Of course the finest grinds end up at the bottom but it is far from a Turkish coffee ?. My daily morning cup is an RTIC 40oz Tumbler so the press works well for me.

Since there is no booze here, coffee has been my go to beverage when out. Since we are nearing summer I will make cold brew and keep it in the fridge or order it when out. Simple to make and extremely refreshing.

Ha I know most of the coffee roasters out of Kuwait. I lived there feb 2016- feb 2017

Lol there's plenty of booze there. You must not be Kuwaiti

I tried a lot of different coffee beans but have pretty much settled on counter culture. They are local and have an amazing array of any and all options. I actually signed up for their 2 bags/week single origin subscription last night.

I have a rocket Cellini classic, their older model heat exchanger espresso machine. Paired with a mahlkoenig k30 vario. It does the trick, only coffee shops with top of the line gear and the know how to make good espresso can beat my latte's.

I use a cheap grinder and a bunn coffee maker for my normal coffee. Every weekday morning I make a red eye for myself and a latte for my wife. She complained about the costs at first, but now that she gets a latte every morning she seems happy with the set up haha!

I'm already looking for a double boiler dual PID machine. They take the guess work out of having the right temperature that some heat exchanger machines that aren't PID require. I can't justify the cost of a new slayer, la marzocco gs3 or linea mini, so I have been casually looking at Craigslist and eBay for a good used one to pop up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

275319a7a72f1133a07aa400ff8c97af.jpg

After over 10 years, we have finally retired our Jura Capresso all in one.

Now it’s an Aeropress for my wife and a Hario pour over for me. We have moved away from espresso drinks. We also drink only one cup per day now. I use a Capresso burr grinder.

Always Verve beans. They are in the neighborhood. I have a subscription to their Africa single origin beans and they get to my house within 2 days after roasting.

• Like 2