Where Are My Coffee Geeks At?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raising my hand over here! I actually roast my own for small batches. I enjoy an espresso from time to time but give me a french press cup of light roasted coffee and I'm a half step away from levitat

Not trying to brag or anything but it does turn itself on and off…  

Upcoming ‘vintage’ 😁

Enjoying a Mobtown espresso just as I came across this thread.  It's a blend from Zeke's Coffee Roasters out of Baltimore.  Really great coffee IMO.  For pour-over or "regular" coffee, their Charm City, Bird City and French Roast are all delicious too (for those who like dark roasts).  https://zekescoffee.com/collections/conventional-blends

I like a good pour over when I’m trying to get maximum nuance out of beans but if you like your coffee with more body (a la Turkish or French Press), pour over will never give you that. Horses for courses.

• Like 1

I drink 30 oz of coffee at a time. I'm sure it's plenty strong,because I get comments all the time about being high strung!

2 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Pour over is superior in every way to French press coffee imo

I like the both, but prefer the utility of the French press.  I put a pinch of back soda into the coffee when being brewed to cut the acidity.  Works likes a charm and cannot taste it.  Some times add a pod of cardamon or two.  Maybe grind a pod of cardamon with the coffee.

Spent the weekend deciding that I wanted to give pour-over a try. Was researching a high-end expresso machine and with the supply chain difficulties, decided to go a different way and wait a while on the expresso.  Love the advice above on different coffees to try and will head down that path after first perfecting my technique on some Segafredo.

Segafredo whole bean dark roast, Baratza Virtuoso + grinder, Acaia Lunar scale, Stag EKG .9L kettle and a Hario V60. Everything is on its way and should be experimenting over the Thanksgiving holiday week!

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 7.58.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 8.00.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 8.00.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 7.57.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 7.56.22 AM.png

I’m mostly into espresso, been working at it for 20 years. A year ago I got the famed Slayer, and I must say it was a game changer for my ability to be consistent and to pull out the flavors that different beans/roasts offer. It’s also helped to develop an effective workflow, and the the monolith flat grinder helps as well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bosco42 said:

Love a good pour over with freshly ground beans.  Currently drinking a lot of dragonfly and onyx single origin coffees.  Still playing around with the Kalita Wave.  

Started using the Chemex couple years ago with dark roast beans ground daily.

Now using a Ratio 6, basically same process but much easier to produce a similar cup. 👍💜🏆

For espresso lovers, one of my favorites for some time now has been caffe lusso gran miscela carmo, and their lionshare is just as good too. 9b678412f8b24687628c58f39cc90db1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

What’s your set up ? Is that grinder the db something or other ? The one James Hoffman called the niche killer ? Looks customized tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ECM synchronika paired with a blacked out monolith MAX with shuriken SW burrs from the August delivery batch.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I could give up cigars and booze, but I draw the line at coffee LOL.  I also have the Mochamaster and a french press.  Not a roaster, but whole beans ground as I need them daily.  Presently using Sumatra as Celebes is hard to find.  Prefer medium (city) roast.  You can keep the Starbucks burned beans which they equate with flavor.  I use a local roaster called Red Barn in New England, best I have had so far.  I used to get Kona, but I loved the Celebes (fuller body and flavor) and it cost 50% less so hooked on that.  Sad to see what happened with the disaster for Celebes a few years back.  The industry is still not fully recovered.

My wife is Dominican. She won’t drink anything but Bustelo or Pilon from an (electric) Moka pot. It tastes horrible black but at 5am it is all about utility for me. Two weeks ago a friend from Jamaica was in town and brought us some Jamaican coffee. We ran out of Bustelo so I threw some in the Moka pot. I already ordered an Aeropress and a grinder. I’ll probably look back at this thread a year from now and understand most of it. Thanks guys, another OCD item to add to my list! 😂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, El Hoze said:

My wife is Dominican. She won’t drink anything but Bustelo or Pilon from an (electric) Moka pot.

No coffee through the sock?  I forget what they call it, but looks like a silk sock and popular in DR and PR.

13 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

No coffee through the sock?  I forget what they call it, but looks like a silk sock and popular in DR and PR.

she didn’t even know what to call it, but I know what you mean.

4 hours ago, Lord Verulam said:

What kind of grinder did you order ?

I did the Baratza Encore.

Normally cotton cloth, not unlike cheese cloth but smaller openings. In Mexico is known as "talega", or "café de talega". In Francis Mallman episode of Chef's Table he brews coffee this way while lighting up a cigar. Still have to try it

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk