WINNER & RESULT ANNOUNCED!! 50/50 FOH's Weekly Poll Comp: #4

50/50 Poll #4  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, ayepatz said:

Yes, as soon as somebody invents a sustainable, self-contained biosphere, and a way of getting it safely there.

Where's Pauly Shore when you need him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the real question is not can we, but why would we?

there isn't yet a permanently staffed lab on the moon and that place is waaaay easier to establish. my guess is that humans can achieve the technology, but that the economic thrust available won't get the rocket off the ground.

-dobbs

• Like 1

Nope. By the time we're technologically able to pull off colonization vs. habitation, we'll have discovered a more earth-like planetary body which commands attention and the Mars colonization will be deprecated. 

Don’t think that is ever going to happen. I think our planet in the way off future will somehow be destroyed wether by us or a natural disaster. I am no scholar on this..........but some disaster like when the dinosaurs were wiped out. Civilization will be again. 

I think it will happen.  Just because if theoretically we can we will.  Moon landing (which I shall assume wasn't faked for this analogy ? ) only risked money and astronauts lives.  I think Mars will be similar especially since those nutty money loaded Bezos and Musk have a chubby for space (recently toured blue origin, good god does he love scifi).

fixing problems here would be nice but unrealistic as it requires everyone to be on board and supportive and changing their lifestyles.  Mars colony requires crazy money and a smaller population of people risking their lives and lifestyles, which sadly means it's got a much better shot at suceeding.

still unlikely but so were a lot of things 40 years back

With a profit motive, anything’s possible.  There’s not much to gain by colonizing Mars but mining asteroids ... that’s where there’s money to be made!  Just one asteroid contains $1 Quintillion worth of resources and metals.  We’ll be colonizing the asteroid belt to mine from it before we’re colonizing planets for scientific research.

EC294BE2-959B-4D6D-BE6E-51CF828C0B75.jpeg

I think it depends on our definition of colonization. Do I see a large scale civilization there? Certainly not in our lifetimes. Yet, if we do begin to reinvest in manned space exploration I could absolutely see a small space-station-like settlement being established there, albeit with more permanent residency due to the time and resources involved in the journey and the difficulty of returning in particular. Also, due to surface conditions, I definitely envision a completely contained ecosystem, so there will be a huge investment required to build it. Again, whether this occurs in our lifetimes is up in the air, but I expect something along those lines will occur eventually, if only as a sort of practice step for future endeavors that are presently completely out of reach.

I would say no to colonization, but maybe we will land humans there much like the moon landings.  We are starting to see the private sector get involved with rockets and that's a plus, but I don't see the US government putting a lot of money towards space exploration by humans.  There is a timeframe issue with this poll that leaves it wide open as to when it might happen and maybe it will happen, but not in my lifetime.  

19 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

The closest 50/50 yet! And the "nays" have it. Put your rockets away, Elon. 

The random winner of a sampler goes to @Cayman17 !!

Congrats! :party:

Please PM @First Lady with your details so Lise can dispatch your prize. 

Thanks to all participants - next 50/50 will be up today! 

I’m in shock! Thanks FOH! ?

8654C8FE-7C1B-43DC-A683-FBCEB67CB2D2.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 5:31 AM, cmbarton said:

With a profit motive, anything’s possible.  There’s not much to gain by colonizing Mars but mining asteroids ... that’s where there’s money to be made!  Just one asteroid contains $1 Quintillion worth of resources and metals.  We’ll be colonizing the asteroid belt to mine from it before we’re colonizing planets for scientific research.

EC294BE2-959B-4D6D-BE6E-51CF828C0B75.jpeg

You should read "The Martian Way" by Asimov