WINNER & RESULT ANNOUNCED!! 50/50 FOH's Weekly Poll Comp: #4

50/50 Poll #4  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've had another Elon Musk themed debate on the forum already, this week, so I'll continue in the same vein with 50/50... Up the flag poll goes the Mars debate!

5050-flagpole1.jpg

All about 50/50...

50/50 is a weekly poll where we find out whether or not some serious bones of contention questions can be finally be buried or will instead remain above ground as a fleshy 50/50 debate... you know, such weighty issues as these...

If given no other option:

are you a Cohiba or Monte person? 

do you prefer Hunnicutt or Trapper in M*A*S*H? 

Connery or Moore as Bond?

Apple or PC?

Smooth or Crunchy peanut butter? 

do you prefer wearing men's or women's underwear?

Sacrificing chickens or virgins?

...that sort of standard fare. 

Vote in the poll and further bolster your standpoint in the thread below if you wish. Poll Votes are public and there's a couple of sticks up for grabs for participants. :party:

Also, PM me Polls that you'd like me to conduct on 50/50 and there'll be a prize for those we decide to use. :thumbsup:

I don’t know enough about the science behind making Mars habitable to really know either way.

I voted no anyway.

Then went on to read about Mars, about low atmospheric pressure which is mostly carbon dioxide, the soil is toxic to plants and humans, water will not stay a liquid on the surface of the planet.

I suppose given enough time, money, talent, and passion or need, it could happen. I’m sticking to my no answer as I don’t see the prerequisites aligning.

If climate change does end earth as we know it, and we can’t figure out how to keep a currently habitable planet (earth) going, how in the world are we going to make an uninhabited planet work?

Maybe I’m uninformed and foolish, I’m ok being wrong.

Maybe nobody has to do anything and earth will go dormant and become uninhabitable like mars is currently, and mars will naturally become habitable as earth is now, on some cosmic cycle.

• Like 3

Very tough question! 

I answered yes, IF no timeline involved. Just getting someone there is going to be a massive undertaking and then are we talking a one time one way trip and hope for the best or a permanent establishment of humans for the colony.

Would be great to see humans go to Mars in my lifetime, but I am personally more interested in mankind learning more about the universe, dark energy, dark matter and a whole bunch of other cosmic quandaries. 

Nothing really surprises me ..so yes I say...not the most habitable place that said..I agree with Fuzz in regard to the rovers...Mus would love it...on the remote controls anyway?? 

I said no, my reason being the huge economic and scientific barriers. It would be easier(as said above) to fix our current issues( which I view as debatable) 

We could at some point, but who would want to live there? The environment is not favorable for us to maintain our current lifestyle. With all the smoking laws we have, I for one wouldn't want to have to step out of the bubble to have a cigar!

When FOH colonises Mars ....

hqdefault.jpg.c80719aed8a7624908564d02d4c3f1b6.jpg

Clusters of cigar-shaped craft discovered on Martian surface

If I had the photoshop skills, I'd photoshop a cigar band, a Cuban flag, and the insignia "NC-898" onto the side of the ship for added effect!

I think we will send people there, and they might actually make it after a few attempts like the moon. Will it be successful long term? I don't think so.

I wish Musk would focus more on leisure space travel b/c that's all I'm really interested in ha

• Like 1

Look people, if Matt Damon could survive there, then we can too!!

To be honest, the real issue stopping a Mars colony is right here on Earth. Our society is so fractured and driven on our own personal needs/wants, the likelihood of success is remote. Until we have a global initiative, we will be stuck on this little rock, blasting through the cosmos while we check out the latest Instagram star.

Just now, Fuzz said:

Look people, if Matt Damon could survive there, then we can too!!

That didn't look like much fun though... Traveling to multiple planets on the U.S.S. Enterprise seems a lot more entertaining. 

Will we colonise Mars with a permanent, self-sustaining settlement? No.

Will some polity annex Mars with a rotating crew a la the International Space Station or Antarctic "research stations"?  Yes, and within our lifetimes.

I can’t see it happening, at least not in our lifetime. We seem to want to send a manned mission there which is great, but I can’t see a government currently willing to spend the kind of money needed to colonise it - while there is potential to make money, the outlay would be too high for too long before they saw the money come rolling back in. 

I have several quality components on my mountain bike made by the company SRAM. They have always performed flawlessly, even perpetuating the illusion that I'm better than I appear on video. Therefore, the cryptic meaning of the backwards spelling of such an ally is not lost on me. So I voted yes. ?

• Haha 1

There may be some kind of structure that people can live in on Mars some day, but colonization is an entirely different thing. Our Earth is surrounded by a magnetic field that protects us from space radiation. No such magnetic field exists on mars. There is a constant bombardment of unfiltered space radiation on Mars. So the only way we could live there is to be constantly sheltered and clothed in protective gear.  This is a very high bar to clear. My thought is we spend our time and resources on solving problems here.

• Like 1