Game of Thrones... who's a fan?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Huge fan of the books first then the show. Show quality declined after they ran out of source material when the show caught up and surpassed the books.  Having said that, the show is still a grea

You people know this isn't real, right? Sent from 47171 Lempo 

4 minutes ago, BirdDog said:

The first episode was only an hour long right? I had thought that they were all supposed to be 2 hours this season. 

I think it's supposed to go longer each week.  

Love the series. I haven't read any of the books, but I am leaning to purchasing the series.  Does it matter which set, hardcopy vs leather bound any difference really? 

This episode is a disaster IMHO. Poor dialogues, stupid jokes, useless Disney-like dragon riding, zero action, etc. Let's hope this was just a hors d'œuvre before the real stuff comes…
And for God sake, WHERE IS GHOST???? 

Apparently the CGI for the wolves is a huge cost so they opted for the dragon riding scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Smallclub said:

This episode is a disaster IMHO. Poor dialogues, stupid jokes, useless Disney-like dragon riding, zero action, etc. Let's hope this was just a hors d'œuvre before the real stuff comes…

And for God sake, WHERE IS GHOST???? 

+1 on this. 

4 hours ago, Cigar_83 said:

I think it's supposed to go longer each week.  

Love the series. I haven't read any of the books, but I am leaning to purchasing the series.  Does it matter which set, hardcopy vs leather bound any difference really? 

The leather bound reads better. Especially with age.

• Like 1

i really enjoyed the series, and i read the first two books when they were published, but i'll go against the grain and say the tv series is waaay better than the books. i didn't finish the third book because it read like a soap opera, which is basically what it is.

when they finally made the series i was skeptical, but it is great, and exactly what it was meant to be in the first place.

-dobbs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dobbs said:

when they finally made the series i was skeptical, but it is great, and exactly what it was meant to be in the first place.

-dobbs

I strongly disagree with the bolded. One doesn't have to be a film student to realize the the drop in writing quality that occurred as early as season 5.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smallclub said:

I strongly disagree with the bolded. One doesn't have to be a film student to realize the the drop in writing quality that occurred as early as season 5.

fair enough, that said, most tv and book series both drop in quality after a period of time.

-dobbs

1 hour ago, bundwallah said:

I enjoy the TV series.  Don't have the time or patience for the books TBH.  My friends swear by the books.  I just take their word for it they're good. :D

I've tried to get into the books a few times. I just can't do it. I don't know why they don't grab me. Once in a while I start a book that I just can't get past page 25 or so.  BUT, the HBO series is great TV and I expect they will end the thing with a battle and a half.

Anyone care to comment on the allegorical themes in the show? If winter and the Night King/White and his army  are seen as  climate change and the Seven Kingdoms are humanity the show can be watched with new perspective. Will the game for the Iron throne upset the unity needed to defeat the Night King and his army?

I am a bigger fan of the books than the series...and my patience has been sorely tested on the book front...the last two (which were supposed to be one book) were just a chore to read. I've also now read the available books three times cuz I keep forgetting what the point of the "F"ing series. Anyway, diatribe off.

The TV version started well but now it's more exciting watching paint dry than sitting through two thirds of most episodes. That first season actor (I can't really name him as I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't seen it) should have been another character as his acting was the high point. Now I'm just watching the series just to get it over with.

2 hours ago, ebhead said:

I am a bigger fan of the books than the series...and my patience has been sorely tested on the book front...the last two (which were supposed to be one book) were just a chore to read. 

The TV version started well but now it's more exciting watching paint dry than sitting through two thirds of most episodes. 

Agreed on both points. I had to make an big effort to finish the last two books…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ebhead said:

I am a bigger fan of the books than the series...and my patience has been sorely tested on the book front...the last two (which were supposed to be one book) were just a chore to read. I've also now read the available books three times cuz I keep forgetting what the point of the "F"ing series. Anyway, diatribe off.

The TV version started well but now it's more exciting watching paint dry than sitting through two thirds of most episodes. That first season actor (I can't really name him as I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't seen it) should have been another character as his acting was the high point. Now I'm just watching the series just to get it over with.

3 hours ago, Smallclub said:

Agreed on both points. I had to make an big effort to finish the last two books…

I think I'm in the minority but after reading through a second time I think I rate AFFC as my favorite book. 

• Like 1

My wife has recently started to watch the show...I have the same thoughts as @MoeFOH, I may watch the entire series in one shot, but I just cannot commit to it right now. It's not bad from the bits and pieces that I have watched. I can see how someone could get hooked. If I wanted to watch something like this, I'll just watch Braveheart (sans dragons and wolves). Also, a colleague told me that a person can watch specific episodes and get the whole story, not counting those that have not aired yet. 

Question about the book, if it is not yet written/finished, do you think the author would keep it in line with the show or would he finish it off the way he intended or would want to complete the story? I am leaning towards and hope for the latter. 

-Shake

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 11:27 AM, sjmistry said:

My wife has recently started to watch the show...I have the same thoughts as @MoeFOH, I may watch the entire series in one shot, but I just cannot commit to it right now. It's not bad from the bits and pieces that I have watched. I can see how someone could get hooked. If I wanted to watch something like this, I'll just watch Braveheart (sans dragons and wolves). Also, a colleague told me that a person can watch specific episodes and get the whole story, not counting those that have not aired yet. 

Question about the book, if it is not yet written/finished, do you think the author would keep it in line with the show or would he finish it off the way he intended or would want to complete the story? I am leaning towards and hope for the latter. 

-Shake

Supposedly the ending of the show is being done the way he intends to end it but the way they get there will be different as Martin has said a lot of characters are alive in his books and some never made it to the show.

i enjoy both for what they are although the early seasons quoted dialogue from the books which was better imho. I really hope we get the final book but won’t hold my breathe. I suspect he is somewhat close to finishing the Winds of Winter.  A lot of people have been criticizing him for taking so long with the final two books but I can’t do that I am happy for him. His creation already has given me a lot of enjoyment and if he doesn’t finish it then hopefully there are other books I can enjoy as much. One thing though there will be a lot of options every streaming service is looking for the next GOT so hopefully one or two get it right. 

As for being able to watch episodes here and there and get what’s going on I would personally disagree with that as there are a lot of layers and characters built into every episode. That could be though because I read the books first and could be reading into it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good episode I thought but it was a bit dark which made it hard to see what was going on. Will have to watch it again with the lights off so no reflections on the TV screen. glad Ayra got the Night King!

• Like 1

That job required an assassin, not a warrior.  There were way too many soldiers surrounding the night king for John to ever get to him.

Melisandre knew it was going to be Arya back in season 3.

I knew it would be too dark to see anything so I adjusted the brightness and contrast on my tv before the show started. 

• Like 1

Gotta say I was really disappointed. Battle strategy was so off. Trebuchet's at the front of formation and only fired 1 volley. Calvary suicide mission instead of a pincer move after dead had made contact with infantry. They have access to military history / strategy advisors on the show. That's basic stuff. 

3 tier two characters died and all the other main characters managed to avoid death like 3 or 4 times each by someone miraculously fighting their way through 100's of the dead. It felt cheap and they won the "unwinnable" battle with pretty much no sacrifice/losses in main characters. 

Night kind death was underwhelming. It had the surprise factor but you built up this character has being a demi-god figure with ulterior motives and he dies so cheaply without us understanding their ultimate purpose. They also through the whole AA / TPTWP prophecy. 

Hopefully the books come out one day because D&D are morons who openly admitted in the inside the episode feature that they decided it would be Ayra because she's a popular character and it would be a good fake out

• Like 1