Vegueros......is there any love?

I'm just not a fan, personally.  I will try new releases just because that's how I smoke cigars. If I haven't tried them, I'm not in a position to judge. Even new releases or new sizes are on the table. Sometimes a release or a new year make the difference. Price is appealing though haha much like the behike price doesn't make sense to me personally, I'm always excited for a more reasonable offering. My price to cigar quality/taste has to be in the same range, usually price takes me out for a lot of releases 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pulled out the tin and grabbed one that was in! The Entretiempos...Aug 18...fresh and firm.  As long as I'm not getting an ammonia smell or a harsh burn the smaller rolls don't, IMO, need to lay

The Cubans are running hard with the marketing of Vegueros with a new robusto released.  I don't smoke a lot of them. There is an underlying herbal edge that I constantly pick up and that is not

I've been through a tin of tapados that had a couple years on them. Construction and draw were consistently perfect. Benchmark perfection. I wish every cigar I smoked had that burn/draw profile. Overa

7 hours ago, irratebass said:

I really like them, I am down to a measly 5 pack of the Tapados, I also get the grass flavor, but there is also cream and some honey at times....never got the tea flavor like @bigguccisosa mentioned, but next time I will be searching for that. 

I think they are a good smoke especially for the price, I am also excited for the new Robusto size. 

Interesting, I didn't get any cream & honey which is more of what I was expecting from this marca. My can was from 2017 for reference. Who knows, it could always be up to interpretation and I certainly don't consider myself the source of truth. Organic products and opinions always vary.

One thing I will say is that a lot of the cigars I got in my can were UGLY lol. There was one stick with so many water spots it looks like a leopard! Not sure how common this is and I don't really care at this price point. But in case anyone else does care, I source mine out of Hong Kong. You might do better in other regions.

19 hours ago, gweilgi said:

...sometimes I just want something that is reliable (construction quality is rather good) and not too demanding.

That's my reasoning for always having a box of Padron 2000 on hand to dip into occasionally.

I feel like Vegueros is the kind of thing that would benefit from a free sample type of marketing strategy. Because the possibility that I would even buy one to try out (it's been 4 years since I smoked one) is slim; but if it turned out I liked it, I'd probably stock some of the smaller gauges for certain occasions/3rd cigar of the day...

I think the Entretiempos are the best of the lineup currently. The Tapados taste just off to me (shame since I like the vitola) and the Mananitas are so short it's ridiculous. 

I very much enjoyed the late 90s Especiales. Grassiest tasting cigars I ever had. Wasn't exactly my cup of tea but enjoyable nonetheless.

Had the Petit Edmundo one yesterday.  First cigar of the year (thanks winter...) on my deck.  Think it was a 2015 or 2016 box code.  Grassy herbal flavors.  Light to medium light in body.

It's honestly not a special cigar but they've all be enjoyable to have.  The Monte pe is so much better but a little change of pace never hurts.

20 hours ago, dicko said:

I'm a fan. I think of them as a poor man's cohiba.

That's exactly what I thought when smoked my first Entretiempos! Reminds me of a fresh Cohiba, not as refined of course but some notes such as grass and a little sweetness are very similar.

Have a tin of tapados from 2015, smoked one a couple of years ago, so two years of age. All I got from it was extreme spiciness! Perfect burn and draw just spicy, no grass from this one. Been letting them sit and hope they mellow out some.

• 2 months later...

Tried Mananitas 2017 in can two days ago. Wow, great taste, similar to vintage  Especiales #1&2: fired wood, leather, not a ripe walnut. High strenght, nice aroma. 

But... many smokers complain about anouth the stability of taste, it is often an obsessive herb ?‍♂️

C5483A0B-7865-4914-B7E5-3701A612DD1F.jpeg

• Like 2

Vegueros. Its in the name, "veg".
I don't mind herbal/vegetal flavours in a cigar, but when it is one dimensional and lacking in body, not so much.
These cigars embody the stereotype "Cuban cigars just taste of grass and hay, grass and hay".
Admittedly have not tried any vintage.

I’m not a huge fan but they are a solid cheap smoke. The last I had, around 2 months ago, was a 2016 Tapados which according to my notes I gave a 90 rating. Flavours were vegetal but slightly sweet, almost like sugar snap pea pods, on a solid clean, Cuban tobacco base. Nothing too interesting but a cigar I would pick up if I’m going to be preoccupied and don’t want to waste something that doesn’t get my full attention.

Vegueros Mananitas BMP MAY 17

Mananitas don’t  get a lot of love around here and for somewhat good reason, it’s an ok cigar, but JUST ok. It’s like the Upmann HC’s quiet out of town cousin that seems friendly but doesn’t have much personality.  But I LOVE having a tin around. 

Its a utility cigar.  It’s a cigar for that new girlfriend that’s trying to hang with the guys. It’s the cigar you want plentiful at the top of your humi so your teenage son doesn’t take one of your Belicosos. It’s mild enough for wannabe smokers to not get sick and when they snuff it out 20 minutes after you gave it to them , you laugh and shrug at its budget cost. 

This tin I got all had gorgeous dark oily wraps and the most notable thing was it’s great construction, great smoke output, great draw. Pinar Del Rio, right? Arguably the best region for Tobacco in the whole world.  Flavour tho?   Almost raisins. Barely cinnamon. Maybe burnt sugar. Kind of bread like.  Unremarkable herbal ness. I’d say it only has two parts. The first half, light and mild, and no big changes happening aside from an intensification in the second half. And the second half gets more and more grain and bread.   New girlfriends and teenage cigar thieves aside, this is the smoke that goes with crushing a bunch of cold ones at the pool party.  This is the smoke you stick in your mouth and get on the inner tube at the cottage for a rip, and if it ends up in the lake, so what, it was made for that type of behaviour. This is a cigar you smoke when you want a quick one on the patio with your pals. It’s unpretentious, unremarkable and just what you need sometimes.  The summer season is upon us southwestern Canadians, and I plan on having a mananitas with me just for the hell of it.  Bottoms up. 

3D243B61-DC53-4299-BBA6-431CB061D349.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first Vegueros today, a Mananitas.  Construction and draw were superb.  Flavors were basic say compared to an MMC, but enjoyable nonetheless.  I enjoyed this format much more than I thought I would.  It was perfect for the 30 minute work break I had this afternoon and didn't get bitter until the very very very end..  I get the grass/hay thing, but don't mind that, at least not with how mild this smoke is.  Then again, I'm a noob to a lot of this.

IMG_0577.thumb.jpg.0dae2a50517cd5e3e2e40c592a7c3a3c.jpg

• Like 3