Gintrification

What is going on in the world of gin? Is gin going through a renaissance? Was it ever in decline? Did it ever have a halcyon era to decline from?... I have no idea. I’m usually well behind the times on these sorts of things. Or, at best, otherwise reliably misinformed. What I have witnessed, though, with my own mushy eyeball matter is a few curious gin-related things.

Now, I love a good gin. But I’ve never seen gin as a top-shelf item, the role it seems to be aspiring to now. More oft I have thought of it as a dirty, no frills workhorse on the alcohol farm. I use the term “dirty” in a sort of complimentary way—as in low-ball, but classically nourishing for the soul: A dirty serving of fish & chips. But gin seems to have turned a massive corner at some point. To wit, there’s this place in West End (Brisbane) called Covent Garden (photo at the bottom), which has opened up as pretty much solely a gin bar. It’s a swanky joint, with an impressive array. Here’s the thing though: prior to its recent refurb, reinvention, and reopening, it was called Lock ‘n’ Load. And it was distinctly less niche, more of a rock ‘n’ roll kind of joint. For those who don’t know, West End is probably the most diverse suburb in Brisbane. A wide range of ethnicities and everything from homeless, to working class, to hipster mid-bands, to top-flight toffs. The latter category being the distinct minority, which makes the approach and appearance of this place stick out like dogs' balls. It begs the question: has the hotelier some insight into the burgeoning upper-class market in West End? And is gin what these new herds will be bleating madly for? Whatever the case, West End, up until fairly recent times, was basically an inner-city backwater. But it is slowly but surely being gentrified. Or gintrified.

I was in Ireland recently (March 2017) and we had cause to visit Leitrum county. Leitrum is the areshole of Ireland (no offence to any leitrumites; everything has to have one). But hailing somewhere from within that region is a thing called Drumshanbo Gunpowder Gin. Probably one of the best tasting gins I’ve ever had. I remain bitter about the fact that we didn’t bring a bottle (or a crate) of it back with us. I haven’t seen it on Aussie shores as yet. Maybe it’s arrived, and I just haven’t looked hard enough. Anyhow, the point about the burgeoning swankiness of gin in incongruous places is again obvious enough.

Lastly, I went into the local BWS here in West End, the other night. And, much to my compounding amazement, I found that the old stalwart of gins, Gordon’s, had joined the march by rebranding from its old stodgy English yellow and red Beefeater look to something now which resembles the bottle having fornicated with a rainbow lorikeet. I’m not in any serious disagreement with the look—I’m actually largely indifferent so long as the booze is the same—it was just something that raised my curiosity further.

So, what is happening with gin? Is it subtly becoming the soma of a new breed of class that will engulf us all in their swanky ways? Or is it just enjoying a renaissance akin to what beer has gone through with the whole craft beer revolution?

From anyone out there in the know, I ask for sober guidance and advice, recommendations, and so on... Booze-fuelled expertise will also be highly regarded.

As a wee addendum for Brisbanites (or anyone with the means to collect a bottle) take on something called Bathtub Cut Gin (69%) from South Aussie, I believe. Prohibition Liquor Co. Top notch! (Yes, I visited Covent Garden to try it out... What the hell else was I going to do?)

Cheers,

Moe. 

IMG_6286.JPG

• Like 1

Gin is HOT baby :spotlight:

For some reason I remember great G&T moments.  In Havana, Espacios and La Guarida rooftop do two of the best to be found anywhere in the world. I can taste them now. I can't wait to get back to them again.  

The concept of gin as a "sipper" is new to me. that was until Four Pillars of "Bloody Shiraz" Gin came along. 

I think that  Gin as a "spirit" encourages and celebrates individuality more than any other spirit.  

La Terrazza also has quite the Gin & Tonic menu offering many Gins along with any and all botanicals you can specify.

Gin is and has been a thing for a while. Or a Few

Gin to me, no matter what the brand still tastes like juniper berries. Just like tequila. No matter what brand, clear or dark still taste the same. So gin is in? I had a g&t the other night. got a bad leg cramp after drinking it (Beefeaters). Haven't had a drop to drink in a week.

So can anybody (I guess with a much better palette than mine) describe the taste of gin other than juniper berries? I mean gin without any additives.

I've loved Gin since my Grandfather snuck me a sip of his G&T when I was about 6. Bitter, Crisp, Refreshing; the G&T(with plenty of citrus) is the perfect summer/tropical drink.

Juniper/Pine is certainly the overwhelming flavor profile, but good Gins have a huge array of intonations from all sorts of sources. Beefeater is very dry and not a particularly complex Gin, I would struggle to find much beyond the base profile there as well. Hendricks is my current go-to Gin. Lighter on the Juniper but still dry, very clean and complex. Ice, a wedge each of Lemon and Lime, then a splash of tonic and it goes down like water.

The article below describes the very in depth process of creating the Gin. 12 Botanicals, 2 pot stills, cucumber and Bulgarian Rose essence, its quite a process. Despite the appearance on the bottle, its only been around for about 17 years. 

That being said, I am enjoying quite a few Gins right now, with a huge variety of flavor profiles and strengths. Leopolds Navy Strength is great when you want some punch (think Beefeater on Steroids at 114 proof) to Hendricks, Tanqueray and Bombay in the middle of the range, to heavily botanical Gins like Citadel from France and even old style sweetened Gins Like Old Tom or Genever. There is a huge range of styles and flavors to play with. 

I think we have seen a similar renaissance in Whisky/Whiskey/Bourbon over the last 15-20 years. Lots of new players from all over the world have made huge strides in advancing the spirits of yesteryear. 

http://www.ginfoundry.com/gin/hendricks-gin/

I've heard that gin has seen a rise in prominence, at least in America, that parallels the rise of craft bourbon or whisky distilleries for the simple reason that marketing a gin gives a budding distillery an immediately available product whereas a bourbon or other brown whisky would have to sit in casks for 4 years before hitting the shelves.  Vodka, white whiskey, and gin are spirits than can be distilled and more or less immediately shipped to the stores.  Vodka being relatively boring, and white whiskey somewhat of a travesty, it makes sense that these emerging craft distillers would turn to gin, which can be tweaked and given more character with added botanicals or even light barrel aging.   Some of what has come out is truly phenomenal.  i'd echo Cory above that Hendricks as an excellent go to, and a perfect example of a subtle flavor varietal that is imparted by different botanicals.  I had a glass of Golden Moon's port cask aged gin as well, which was phenomenal.  I haven't been able to source a bottle, but would definitely recommend it if you come across one. 

Gin has been the "IN" spirit in the Philadelphia area for a few years, a bunch of local small craft distillers creating really great gins.

Rob just reminded me of the Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz, with a few quick searches two bottles will be here on Monday! I'm looking forward to trying this one.

Now what cigar shall I pair with this?

3 hours ago, Liberty13 said:

Rob just reminded me of the Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz, with a few quick searches two bottles will be here on Monday! I'm looking forward to trying this one.

I just did the same. I didn't realize it was so readily available outside of OZ. Even with shipping its not much more than a bottle of Hendricks. I can't wait to try it. 

I was reading up on it some and this line caught my attention:

"And like a bottle of Yarra Valley shiraz, this gin will develop with time, meaning the color and flavor will change. Drink it young and fresh with red berry and spice character, or enjoy over time as it develops fruit cake and dried fruit tones."

The Four Pillars website says something similar, stating:

"Our Bloody Shiraz Gin is best consumed within two years of vintage. The gin is unfiltered and may start to develop dried fruit characters beyond two years."

@Ken Gargett or anyone who has some of the original bottles(I think thy're getting close to that 2 year mark), have you noticed this evolution of flavor?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

I just did the same. I didn't realize it was so readily available outside of OZ. Even with shipping its not much more than a bottle of Hendricks. I can't wait to try it. 

I was reading up on it some and this line caught my attention:

"And like a bottle of Yarra Valley shiraz, this gin will develop with time, meaning the color and flavor will change. Drink it young and fresh with red berry and spice character, or enjoy over time as it develops fruit cake and dried fruit tones."

The Four Pillars website says something similar, stating:

"Our Bloody Shiraz Gin is best consumed within two years of vintage. The gin is unfiltered and may start to develop dried fruit characters beyond two years."

@Ken Gargett or anyone who has some of the original bottles(I think thy're getting close to that 2 year mark), have you noticed this evolution of flavor?

short answer is yes. more with the 2nd release than the first but that might be because i knocked off the first much quicker and never gave it that chance. still working out which i prefer. probably younger.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Gin is HOT baby :spotlight:

For some reason I remember great G&T moments.  In Havana, Espacios and La Guarida rooftop do two of the best to be found anywhere in the world. I can taste them now. I can't wait to get back to them again.  

The concept of gin as a "sipper" is new to me. that was until Four Pillars of "Bloody Shiraz" Gin came along. 

I think that  Gin as a "spirit" encourages and celebrates individuality more than any other spirit.  

best bar in the world in helsinki - stunning gins.

unless you have been in a cave for 5-6 years or have no interest in spirits, rob is correct. gin is hot. hottest spirit on the planet.

and we are seeing more and more sippers, which is great.

i wouldn't agree with the last line yet. something like malts, for example, and possibly even rums, have a far wider range of "individuality" at this stage. but gin has given them a few centuries start - don't mean gin has not been around and been different across the globe but it is only recently that they are celebrating these differences and chasing them. malt and rum been doing it for a very long time.

Yep, as far as gin goes, I've really just been a G&T man until recently also. A tall G&T in summer weather is a genuine delight. However, I naturally seek out a craft beer or a nice wine before delving into spirits. Thus, I usually don't get too far! And had this Covent Garden place not popped up in my neck of the woods I probably would have gone on oblivious to the wonderful things that are happening in the world of gin, for another five years or more...

Anyhow, appreciate all the feedback, and I look forward to catching up on what I've missed out on! 

Cheers. 

During the hot Houston summers, the wife and I partake in our share of gin and tonics.  Nothing too fancy when mixing those up...Bombay Sapphire, Tanqurey Ten, a local Texas gin and a few others.  Started drinking Monkey 47 last summer in martini form....great stuff.  I see it on the shelf of that picture you posted Moe.

Same in Europe, Gin in general is hot for maybe the last five years, in Spain close to 10 years now. Sevilla was the first place about 9 years ago where I stumbled into a gin bar with a few mates and was blown away by the selection and different ways of mixing up the classic G&T.

Took a bottle of Japanese Gin to the last Havanathon for Rob, never heard of it again?
When home in Japan last in December I found a few locally made small batch gins, still have to try them, waiting for my next stint at home and warmer weather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SokaKiel said:

Same in Europe, Gin in general is hot for maybe the last five years, in Spain close to 10 years now. Sevilla was the first place about 9 years ago where I stumbled into a gin bar with a few mates and was blown away by the selection and different ways of mixing up the classic G&T.

Took a bottle of Japanese Gin to the last Havanathon for Rob, never heard of it again?
When home in Japan last in December I found a few locally made small batch gins, still have to try them, waiting for my next stint at home and warmer weather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was very surprised to see how in to it spain is.

On a recent flight to Barcelona from Miami a flight attendant told me they pack extra gin and tonic and I believe it, half the plane was drinking them. I felt a bit left out as I cannot stand even he thought of gin, or tonic. When I was about 16 or so my dad switched to drinking solely gin at home as he quickly realized that was the only booze that wouldn’t mysteriously go missing. 

• Haha 1

I think the reason Gin is everywhere, is 

- It doesn't have a barreling process

- Botanicals are usually dry or semi-dry, hence core ingredients are probably less of a stock risk than some other spirits

- Good Indian tonic hides the flaws of many a bad gin

- Juniper is such a great 'canvas' to lay other thing over, I think even if your niche chosen botanicals fail, you still have a pleasurable drink

It's brilliant to see so many gins coming out, but I think many have more hype than quality, and that they are the pizza of the drinks world, i.e. may have the best profit return, and it may also be the easiest 'start up' spirit. 

Really interested to try this Herno Cask Gin, as it apparently has a wonderful resinous finish from being aged in bespoke juniper wood casks

https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/herno/herno-juniper-cask-gin/

It's gone crazy in the UK for the last decade at least. The old standards, Gordons, beefeater, Bombay sapphire etc are supposedly hemorrhaging due to the huge number of boutique stills that have set up.

It's fairly common now for your average pub to have a 30+ selection of local/up and coming gins

Schweppes tonic is supposedly struggling too as boutique tonics are cutting huge swathes through its old market dominance. New companies like fever tree tonics have come from nowhere and almost become the standard mixer. 

It's gone crazy in the UK for the last decade at least. The old standards, Gordons, beefeater, Bombay sapphire etc are supposedly hemorrhaging due to the huge number of boutique stills that have set up.
It's fairly common now for your average pub to have a 30+ selection of local/up and coming gins
Schweppes tonic is supposedly struggling too as boutique tonics are cutting huge swathes through its old market dominance. New companies like fever tree tonics have come from nowhere and almost become the standard mixer. 

That's because Schweppes is disgusting artificial junk.
  • Like 2

Enjoying 78 degrees from Adelaide at the moment. Just needs a splash of tonic. Subtle and refined. Also West Winds Sabre for citrus and Four Pillars. Will probably purchase Four Pillars negroni gin because I love negronis and have all the ingredients at home.