How do you keep track of your smokes?

After six months of collecting CC as gifted singles, box splits and five packs I can see keeping track of what's what is going to be impossible. That is without some kind of system.

What do you do to stop from losing track of age and source of your sticks?

Good idea, I need to find out if I can run that on my iPad. Do most browsing on it.

How do you keep track of the exact location of a particular stick?

I just have it separated by humidor. So I'll list 65/65 humidor and all the stats on the sticks in that one. Then I'll say Savoy Desktop, and all the sticks in there. I'll keep them separated within each humidor too, if I have identical sticks with different box codes.

I used to keep just a plain, simple blank white tablet paper listing of how many boxes, the date bought, and the number accumulated thus far. I USED to. But now that the romance has sort of subsided...meh dry.png

• Like 2

Far easier to track singles with blank white bands to enter box code information.

As far as tracking my inventory, it'd be far too much work. Cigars aren't supposed to involve any work IMO to further enjoy them.

• Like 3

Excel spreadsheet. Enter each box when ordered/arrives. Multiple columns with pertinent info. Take inventory once or twice a year. Always keep a 4+ year inventory on hand of my favs & never run out of aged stock.

I did enter all my boxes with codes and dates Once. Then put white labels on singles with code/year. I put labels on singles still because I want to know what they are age and code wise, or put a sticker on a box if its not original to the cigars, but I don't really keep track anymore on the boxes. They are all identifiable when I look at them and thats all that matters to me. I work long at my job and decided one day I dont want my hobby to be a job. Much more enjoyable! Thats just me.

• Like 1

I keep track of orders via spreadsheet color coded to make sure they arrive. Source, Marque, Vitola, Box code, price, date ordered, date received, box/cab/singles and how many.

I've made an attempt or two of going through and updating but that's too much work, damn thing's got almost 500 rows.....

I do use blank bands to keep track of singles to a degree though I probably have more unmarked that marked at this point.

I keep a rough count in an email that I send to some of my newbies that like to split or pick up singles here and there.

Used to I would just let'em come over and dig around, however with the terrible schedules we all have at the hospital it is easier to do by email and then handoff...

I will say that before I some of my co-workers into habanos I really didn't care anymore about what I had...just would notice when something I liked got low and ordered more.

Of course that was before I found this place and the 12:12's and LFTW...now it is fun to keep up with what I have ordered and what is shipping.

I too keep a spreadsheet. Similar to Malpepie, but different. Have them in two main categories: boxes or singles.

I don't care about a rating or notes because those details are easy to remember.

I track:

Marca, vitola, rg/length

box dates...

when it arrived in my humidor (conditional format to easily see when 30 days in storage passes)

date last smoked (to see how evenly I pace myself on young boxes, or knowing when to re-up)

then keep some charts for fun like which marcras make up what % of total, what vitals make up what %...

I'm very much a numbers/stats person so I enjoy the tracking. I'm the spreadsheet guru where I work now, so it kinda comes with the territory. It's an evolving database and now takes very little effort to maintain. It's nice to know what's in the humidors without having to open them.

• Like 1

Excel spreadsheet. Enter each box when ordered/arrives. Multiple columns with pertinent info. Take inventory once or twice a year. Always keep a 4+ year inventory on hand of my favs & never run out of aged stock.

If you're like me, you'd have 20 years worth of inventory if you never bought another box. :)
  • Like 1

I keep a spreadsheet in numbers. It's excel for Apple since I have an iPhone, iPad and Mac at home. Syncs across all devices. I started from the get go but if I had to enter them all now I probably wouldn't. It would be too much work. Also have some bands for singles.

Been posted on here before, but since March CubanCigarWebsite.com has had an inbuilt collection management tool, tracks boxes, singles, reviews, generates spread sheets, you can share your collection with your friends etc... free and easy, built by a collector for collectors. /plug

Great feature mate I'm a fan of it and find it more visually appealing than just an excel spreadsheet. Also handy to export a csv to import into excel if needed

Good idea, I need to find out if I can run that on my iPad. Do most browsing on it.

How do you keep track of the exact location of a particular stick?

For the iPad sync I use a symbolic link of my excel file so it automatically updates the file in my dropbox, the difference between a symbolic link and an alias (or shortcut for windows) is that it is actually a file that auto updates based in the original file as opposed to an alias that you won't be able to read on an ipad.

Hope that helps! I do it that way because I constantly run backups of the files in my computer but I don't backup my dropbox files, it's not necessary since it's already in the cloud and to avoid copying and pasting my excel file to my dropbox folder every time I make an update of my cigar file :)