How many times before you "Toss in the Towel"

Tossing in the Towel  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2-3 for me...depends on the reviews from others on whether I give the cigar a 3rd shot.

Most of the current RyJ line has been eliminated from my rotation due to this, as well as many VR's (though the VR's get three, as they always show promise...just never deliver)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2 strikes and you're out. Too many cigars and not enough money and time.

3 strikes and y'er out!

Siglo II. Definitely not for me. Tried MANY times. Usually I try 4 or 5 different vintages before I discard definitely.

1 or 2 boxes. If I liked I continued to buy, if so so I gave another chance and if it didn't agree with me I will only revisit in singles just out of curiosity a couple of times until I say never again.

I have no preconceived notions of 1 or 2 or even 3 tries. If a cigar Is not to my taste, I dich It. This does not tell me to dich the

box however nor do I stay away from them for years. The next cigar or the next box may be GREAT.( For me ,at least ).After smoking for soooo many years,I've learned one thing and that Is ,with Cuba, never say never.

Guy

• Like 1

As another brother stated, too many cigars and not enough time. Ill go with the baseball rule, three strikes and you are out. Smoke one after a month of acclimation, then again in 6 months and again in a year. If its still unpalatable to me in a year Ill usually try ti find someone who likes them and offer up a trade or just flat out give them away.

I have no preconseved notions of 1 or 2 or even 3 tries. If a cigar Is not to my tast, I dich It. This does not tell me to dich the

box however nor do I stay away from them for years. The next cigar or the next box may be GREAT.( For me ,at least ).After smoking for soooo many years,I've learned one thing and that Is ,with Cuba, never say never.

Guy

This, absolutely. I will tend to stay away from one's I have not liked in the past, but will absolutely give all of them extra chances down the road. The seed, tobacco, blend or my palate all may have changed, so I will never say never.

• Like 1

I picked 3 but if Matthew and I don't like a particular cigar we ditch it. There is probably a reason, like too young or needs to be dry boxed.

But some do not make it because we do not like them, so we trade them with someone who does.

I may be atypical in the way that I smoke.

Upon receipt of a box I normally let them sit 30 - 60 days before trying. However, sometimes I do break this rule. :lol3: Especially if the aroma and sight is tantalizing!

I will try one or two (maybe even three) over a couple of weeks once I decide to delve into them. If these are craptacular then I just ignor them for an indeterminate time. Could be as little as months to as much as years. Determined by each pull from the box obviously.

Conversely, if I find them approachable (regardless of date) I may smoke them on a regular basis and may go right through the box. I rarely smoke the same cigars daily for any stretch of time as I likes my variety.

On 10/9/2014 at 10:22 AM, kwsaw63 said:

2 strikes and you're out. Too many cigars and not enough money and time.

X2. Not enough time, and if the stick can't impress me in two tastings, then a third opportunity is not warranted.

On a similar note, do you guys find that a sampler is enough for you to formulate your opinion of a marca or vitola? I've been trying to decide if samplers or box splits (taking roughly five of the box) would be a more effective way to try a majority of the sticks available. Obviously, samplers would allow me to taste a larger variety in a shorter amount of time, but like Rob said, I don't want to discount certain sticks simply because the one in my sampler was off.

Tom

Well I'm kind of A five for five person,I also have had smokes that were no bueno! three or four years latter they are great! Cuban tobacco being really unaged I think it depends where in it's life cycle you smoke it.

I have no preconceived notions of 1 or 2 or even 3 tries. If a cigar Is not to my taste, I dich It. This does not tell me to dich the

Guy

I believe that this is actually an extremely complex question. I would love to hear some of Bob's (Shrink) analysis on the subject. Guy's answer is frankly the best I have seen posted (in reference to my opinion) and was thinking along these lines before reading through all the posts.

I would add that it depends on the cigar, how much it costs and your experience and wisdom regarding cigars.

Prejudging cigars, a prejudice for or against cigars has kept me from smoking a lot of ELs/REs… Ultimately I have missed out on some fine cigars, undoubtedly, but I have saved an enormous amount of time and money, investing them into cigars that my experience has told me are better… If the worlds 'best' cigar was in that bunch, I cheated myself of the chance. That is the risk I take when I prejudice myself against anything.

So this approach is really a risk reward question. 'Tying' cigars is also not really the correct way to formulate the question. MHO… I will continue to try cigars that have not liked if they are given to me, and there is no limit. But I will stop buying them at different rates depending on the price and the valuation of the ones that I have smoked.

I bought a really bad box of LGC Sabrosos once. I never touched the cigars again… Same with the RG TPC… I smoked a couple of the BigHillbilly's… I have no need to chase that with more dough… They are mediocre at best (MHO) and unless someone is going to give them to me, I am never going to have another!

I don't view smoking as a means to give a cigar a chance. Smoking a cigar is a means by which the cigar proves its worth… The cigar is supposed to 'court' me, not the other way around! Did you take note of that Tabacuba??? Giving a cigar a chance is what people do who are trying to like something. This is a novice motivation (MHO). I am a seasoned smoker and not trying to like anything. My goal is to get what I like… every time I light up. I am therefore happy smoking one cigar if it satisfies me. It is not important to me to say that I like a certain cigar. Why would it be? To fit in?

I don't know why one should feel embarrassed to say he does not like the looks of the latest "hot" model of anything. Life is about tastes and some times those tastes are formed by prejudices. We are taught 'discrimination' is bad… yet to be discriminating when it comes to certain tastes, is a complement…! Why be forced to like what you don't like… Accept it for what it is, regardless of those who would cast a judgement upon you and be happy with your own tastes.

Cheers! -Piggy

I believe that this is actually an extremely complex question. I would love to hear some of Bob's (Shrink) analysis on the subject. Guy's answer is frankly the best I have seen posted (in reference to my opinion) and was thinking along these lines before reading through all the posts.

I would add that it depends on the cigar, how much it costs and your experience and wisdom regarding cigars.

Prejudging cigars, a prejudice for or against cigars has kept me from smoking a lot of ELs/REs… Ultimately I have missed out on some fine cigars, undoubtedly, but I have saved an enormous amount of time and money, investing them into cigars that my experience has told me are better… If the worlds 'best' cigar was in that bunch, I cheated myself of the chance. That is the risk I take when I prejudice myself against anything.

So this approach is really a risk reward question. 'Tying' cigars is also not really the correct way to formulate the question. MHO… I will continue to try cigars that have not liked if they are given to me, and there is no limit. But I will stop buying them at different rates depending on the price and the valuation of the ones that I have smoked.

I bought a really bad box of LGC Sabrosos once. I never touched the cigars again… Same with the RG TPC… I smoked a couple of the BigHillbilly's… I have no need to chase that with more dough… They are mediocre at best (MHO) and unless someone is going to give them to me, I am never going to have another!

I don't view smoking as a means to give a cigar a chance. Smoking a cigar is a means by which the cigar proves its worth… The cigar is supposed to 'court' me, not the other way around! Did you take note of that Tabacuba??? Giving a cigar a chance is what people do who are trying to like something. This is a novice motivation (MHO). I am a seasoned smoker and not trying to like anything. My goal is to get what I like… every time I light up. I am therefore happy smoking one cigar if it satisfies me. It is not important to me to say that I like a certain cigar. Why would it be? To fit in?

I don't know why one should feel embarrassed to say he does not like the looks of the latest "hot" model of anything. Life is about tastes and some times those tastes are formed by prejudices. We are taught 'discrimination' is bad… yet to be discriminating when it comes to certain tastes, is a complement…! Why be forced to like what you don't like… Accept it for what it is, regardless of those who would cast a judgement upon you and be happy with your own tastes.

Cheers! -Piggy

So essentially what you're trying to say in relation to Guy's post is.... "x2"

nyah.gif

• Like 1

So essentially what you're trying to say in relation to Guy's post is.... "x2"

nyah.gif

Ahah! I mostly agree with Guy and Ray. Choosing implies rejecting. In the end, I only wish to enjoy the experience, knowing that tastes are but subjective. Cheers to all who will try and call it as it is :)

On a similar note, do you guys find that a sampler is enough for you to formulate your opinion of a marca

When acquiring singles (meaning less than a box), I've always tried to buy at least three of each cigar. I understand that a pre-packaged sampler may only contain one of each of a particular cigar, but we can always put together our own "samplers" smile.png

If we buy three (or more) each of a number of cigars, it can allow for smoking over enough time to try and form an opinion.

As for RA's original question, I guess I no longer feel the need to bang my head against a wall when it comes to what should be a simple joy. Personal examples: a dozen plus Partagas D4 (circa "05) - every one insipid - I feel no need to revisit. Full box of RASS (again '05) marginally better that the PSD4s - no need to revisit. A dozen or so SLR DC (again circa "05) - same as the others (i smoked one of my last remaining last week - someone owes me a an hour and a half or so...).

Maybe it was a bad year. Or maybe I just got duds. Or maybe I don't know how to properly store cigars. Or maybe Uranus was in retrograde. No more excuses for me.

Well.well well. The 5-5-5. Not enough time or money for that. I will give a cigar 2 shots, unless it is complete crap like the Monte Double Edmundo.

Now, if I have a friend that likes one that has bombed for me, I will try one from his box.

Between the changes in blends and changes in my taste I figure every 2-3 yrs I should check in on something that friends are liking.

Then again I enjoy punishing myself by spending money on sticks I don't know I love....ya sucker here.

• Like 1

have never given up on a vitola,because they all seem to come back around somehow.A gift,trade,or good offer.

Currently I have no stock of:

St Luis

Robaina

Trinidad

this is as close to giving up on a vitola as I can get............

I had to vote 6 or more. I haven't really liked any Bolivars that I have tried, but I am trying to give it one more chance with some BBF.

how'd you like the Corona Gigantes? doesn't have that 'Bolivar Twang' to me. Probably my favourite churchill ROTT. How about the much appraised [by me] Bolivar No. 2? Very close flavours to the Corona Extra which is the reason why i'ven't stocked up on the CEs myself. Oh and don't forget the great RC which are probably one of the most consistent cigars coming out of Cuba!

Tried the regionals? bound to be one near you!

Personally, Bolivar is a very big favourite of mine due to the consistency and availibility. The selection is matched nearly by non due to the influx of regionals. Some would find that to be a damnation - me, a blessing. I love the occasional 07 and 08 TEB-box coded regionals are absolutely gorgeous and quite the rare treat but racking up a pretty penny.

But ones that are much easier to get are the modern Bolivar Presidentes which are down right nubbable ROTT.

how'd you like the Corona Gigantes? doesn't have that 'Bolivar Twang' to me. Probably my favourite churchill ROTT. How about the much appraised [by me] Bolivar No. 2? Very close flavours to the Corona Extra which is the reason why i'ven't stocked up on the CEs myself. Oh and don't forget the great RC which are probably one of the most consistent cigars coming out of Cuba!

Tried the regionals? bound to be one near you!

Personally, Bolivar is a very big favourite of mine due to the consistency and availibility. The selection is matched nearly by non due to the influx of regionals. Some would find that to be a damnation - me, a blessing. I love the occasional 07 and 08 TEB-box coded regionals are absolutely gorgeous and quite the rare treat but racking up a pretty penny.

But ones that are much easier to get are the modern Bolivar Presidentes which are down right nubbable ROTT.

Looking forward to try the CG since awhile.