What is the deal with RASS? :)

Hello fellow cigar fans,

I just received my first box of RASS (sept 2012 box date). The dry aroma was breathtaking. Before I opened the box I could smell the sweet parfume of tobacco.

I would love to hear from RASS advocates what exactly makes this cigar so covenant?

Is it the body, strength, consistency, complete flavor profile..what is the one thing that really sets is apart?

For me so far (not having smoked one)...it is the dry aroma!

-Rob

When I got my first box (also 12) I liked them a lot. That seemed to go down with each passing month but now they're kind of starting to come around again. I bought 2 boxes, and I smoked thru more than half the first. I'm hoping I can age the second box a bit to see all the fuss about aged RASS.

Rass is my all time favorite robusto. Nothing tastes quite like a rass and it hits all the buttons for me.

In the hundred plus I've smoked I've never had one that wasn't at least good. I've been disappointed by a lot of big name maracas but rass never let's me down. Even the ugly ones that have weird burns and construction issues still do it for me every time.

I also got two boxes of MUR JUL 12 and the aroma is devine as you described. These look and smell better than ones I had in 07, and 08 for sure!

post-6619-0-89818900-1369440501_thumb.jp

post-6619-0-00002100-1369440420_thumb.jp

RASS is my favorite cigar,period. Love the wrappers, unique flavor profile and they smoke well young and are very consistent for a larger ring guage cigar. I could smoke this cigar exclusively for the rest of my life.

rass is a cult and i'm the ceo

ra fo lyfe

A little of me just died inside..

I think the RASS are a pretty popular robusto atleast it seems that way. I have a box from 12 that I haven't shipped yet but the samples I've had from previous years 06, 07, 09, have all been stellar to me, some duds in the group but that is to be expected. I love young RASS which to me have a bit more mongrel a bit more bite and spice if they're a good batch, to go along with the richness. I've only had maybe a handful of aged 3+ yr old RASS and they definitely do develop but the core is still there they just smooth out a little of the bite/spice and more richness comes through, really a great cigar but it just takes the time to age and well like I said I like em young... Can't lose either way some like em fresh others will only smoke them with 5+ yrs sort of like the PLPC but I like those fresh too because they have a bit more presence and mongrel to them. I say smoke one if ya like em put them in the rotation and maybe grab 5 and bury them for the long haul and give them a try after the core of the box is gone and see what you like.

It's a story of frustration for me, I keep picking up a handful each year to give them more chances but I never get anything other than just straight (but not harsh) tobacco, no other flavours. I either have just bad luck and keep getting duds or they really don't play nice with my taste buds :/

I've found the RyJ SC more consistent...and that is one hell of an inconsistent cigar! Which speaks volumes about how frustrating the RASS is for me!

There is something just special about the blend of tobacco in these RASS cigars. There is nothing else like it, and it just makes my palate smile with utter joy! All hail the Specially Selected.

Bonus points for being available in 50 Cabs - get 'em while you can. I just got shipping notification of a OGA NOV 11 Cab :P

Dont like these at all....let me re-phrase that, I havent ever had a good one....love RA just not the RASS....they are in the same boat for me as BBF, Monte #2 and PSD4(except for 2012)...wish I did like them, love the size and price

Bart

Bonus points for being available in 50 Cabs - get 'em while you can. I just got shipping notification of a OGA NOV 11 Cab :P

Claus, I have a cab with the same box code and they are good but I also think the ones from a few years ago were better. I have some from 2008 and smoking them when two years old seemed better than the 2011's are now.

Dont like these at all....let me re-phrase that, I havent ever had a good one....love RA just not the RASS....they are in the same boat for me as BBF, Monte #2 and PSD4(except for 2012)...wish I did like them, love the size and price

Bart

I Dont have any good RASS. My friends do. They are '05-07. These need time. From how good the '12 cabs are, I can only imagine how good they will be in 5-10 years.

Claus, I have a cab with the same box code and they are good but I also think the ones from a few years ago were better. I have some from 2008 and smoking them when two years old seemed better than the 2011's are now.

My OGA Mar 2011 Cab is outstanding - was hoping for the same with this one. Interestingly, the only truly aged (2002) RASS I ever had was a dud.

My OGA Mar 2011 Cab is outstanding - was hoping for the same with this one.

Have the same Mar 2011 Cab and couldn't agree more. That was a great batch RASS that has all the makings to age beautifully IMO.

I've only had 3 RASS since 2010 when I first started smoking cigars. Not sure what the box codes were, but all 3 were stellar! Like others have said, they seem to have that perfect mix of flavor and bite that just tickles the taste buds.

A box of RASS is at the very top of my short list.

Rass for me is the cigar that's makes it hard for me to buyer higher end cigars.

I always say, "I can have 2 boxes of rass for that." Or a 50 cab for that price.

I love everything about Rass, the flavor, body and affordability make them dynamite smokes for me.

I had a couple of TEB 08 boxes from Rob that were incredible, still dream about those.

I tried some 2009-10's and fell in love but the 12's and 13's haven't hit me like their fore fathers. For me it's a blockbuster or take it or leave it cigar. But the best were among the best robustos I've smoked.

Rass for me is the cigar that's makes it hard for me to buyer higher end cigars.

I always say, "I can have 2 boxes of rass for that." Or a 50 cab for that price.

Funny, I thought I was the only one who did this. Every time I think about other cigars, I think in terms of how many rass I can have.

It's a story of frustration for me, I keep picking up a handful each year to give them more chances but I never get anything other than just straight (but not harsh) tobacco, no other flavours. I either have just bad luck and keep getting duds or they really don't play nice with my taste buds :/

Glad to hear i'm not the only one with this experience !