Cigar Budget

How do you guys keep your cigar spending in check?

Lately it seems I am reaching for a cigar whenever I am working outside (frequently) plus one in the evening so anywhere from 2-4 most days. This is starting to take a sizable bite out of my budget and I'm starting to think I need to limit my costs somehow.

What's your trick? Or is money not an issue? It doesn't help that I'm finding myself less satisfied with the cheaper offerings than I once was. Do you set a monthly spending cap? Limit to X# of sticks per day?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst cash is definitely a consideration, my purchases are more limited by the availability of time to have a cigar. I can't justify buying box after box if I don't have time to smoke them so I will usually just maintain a 'collection' of about 150-200 cigars.

I think that a Cigar budget /money is important to most of us here, in reference to myself ,if i cannot afford it i don't buy ,which is really difficult at times,especially when you see something you really like or have wanted for ages.

I have managed to build up a reasonable collection ,which helps when you have the lean times.

the key i think is to put in more than you take out ,easier said than done i must admit ,but if you can do this your collection will grow

cheers

Budget for me can be really difficult for me at times. Usually I have a hard time of buying whatever floats my boat.

The past 2 years I have been buying much more than I used to, as I feel an investment for a decade to come (the 2011/2012 stock is great IMO). The past year I have purchased about 3-5 boxes a month, and also have been smoking more- but saving a lot for the future.

For me it all depends on releases and how rare the item may b and if I can buy it later with the same opportunity then I will hold off for acouple months. I try not to go too crazy in spending but at times it can get the best of me.

This is a very pricey hobby...

Here is a detailed description of my Cigar Budget:

classified.gif

I'm budget conscious as well. I try to keep it to one box or purchase a month and the amount to be less then $450.

Its unfortunate when aged or HQ/PSP stock comes along that is friendly to my taste profile, i will often have to concede to temptation at that point.

This has been a good year, i think i only exceeded quota once this year. i'm smoking about 2 cigars a week so its a good ratio for increasing stocks, and with winter around the corner, it may even drop to 1... nah probably wont.

I'm trying to limit the NC I buy and just stick to one box of cubans a month. The silver lining is lack of storage/wife that's preventing buying more.

The tough thing is when sales and discontinued/aged cigars come up.

I'm still just starting out and about to hit a year in a couple weeks. I've spent WAY more than I ever thought I would, I've lost track a long time ago but I'm really hoping it's not over 5 figures (although it might be very close). It's understandable because when you're starting out, you want to try as many as possible, and sometimes you have to buy a box to try something. I also got caught up in the EL/HTF craze and spent some big bucks there.

Now, I'm only buying what I need, and trying not to buy every "good deal" that comes along my way.

I blew my yearly cigar budget by the second week of January. I'm currently spending the budget I had allocated for 2023.

I spend more than I should (don't we all :lookaround:). For everything I really like, I want to have at least two boxes, then there are the discontinued, HTF, aged, ... and lately I've been getting into Clear Havanas. I'll soon be out of storage space again (2nd cooler will be full soon) - that should give me the base stock of around 4k sticks that I wanted. From then on it SHOULD only be replacement for what I smoke. Luckily I am not into all the new expensive 52+ RG LE hype.

It depends on the month for me. My work has not been consistent, so budget varies. I also am not rich so tend to stick to regular production cigars. I have not found a reason yet to spend larger amounts on the LE/RE sticks, that are over priced in my opinion. Also, regular productions from 11 and 12 have been outstanding. I also stock up from trusted merchant(s) when they run sales. Patience has been my best friend allowing me to buy and build a more impresive collection than even I would have thought possible.

Now that my wine humidor is full and we are trying to buy home, my bugget is small. I'm also new and have been buying to age and see what I like. Now that I found I love virtually everything, I buy what I can't say no too. Or the wife does it for me..

I say that if you can afford it stock up big to begin with and put plenty of the good stuff away to age. After, replace what you smoke + a little extra and you will continue to have a good supply of aged cigars on hand. Bite the bullet up front spend the $$ and pull back as time goes on. However, if you are smoking 4 cigars a day and you want to smoke great cigars the only answer may be to get a 2nd job....

Like any hobby......... SAVE, SAVE, SAVE. You'd be surprised by putting all the pocket change in an empty coffee can at the end of each day.....will add up!!

Also trim the fat on sodas, frappuccinos, vending machines, and watch your cash grow. Now the

"Purchasing Pain" becomes nothing but a mere monthly "pinch".

Hey.... Life is too short. Don"t cheat yourself out of that Little Piece of Heavenly Habanos. ;)

Cheers

Ed

I try to limit myself to a certain extent and then I'll splurge and then stop for awhile, which is the spot I'm in now, to many good boxes on LFTW, damn you Rob lol. But I look at purchases like that as an investment, cigars I plan on having for years. Splurge now don't buy in the future it's half and half so to speak. Luckily my wife understands, to a certain extent.

As an old school fixie nut (aka single speed bicycle enthusiast) I thought I should share one such justification we have for the number of bikes one should own, and hence budget for, during one's lifetime.

It is a pure mathematical formula, devoid of all extraneous variables.

It is known as n+1

n+1= the number of bikes one should own

(where 'n' is the existing number of bikes in the house)

I feel this easily translates to cigars.

Now, obviously bicycles don't magically and spontaneously combust and disappear while you sip a whisky or wine.

So, I propose the following formula to help everyone budget.

n+25= the number of cigars one should own.

And, attempt to budget for.

Unless you're into 50 cabs.

Then feel free to adjust the formula to suit your budgetary requirements.

I've read something like this in a book. According to that book, as long as you keep your wife happy with the gifts, there is no limit to purchasing cigars. So, I think the main question has to be "what is your gift budget?" :)

Anyway, the formula for calculating "gift budget" is:

Gift Budget for Wife= ((Allowed Cigar Purchases+Secret Cigar Purchases/4)/Years Married) x 1.15

Might seem complicated but it is said to work peace.gif