The box was a mistake.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple interesting answers so far....i would say the partagas salomones i picked up a couple years back....they have no problem going untouched....

Every NC box I bought when I started. I just don't reach for them or care. Fortunately, it was only 3 boxes and they were relatively cheap. Most have been gifted away.

As for Cubans.

• Cohiba Maduros Secretos. Had a couple. Didn't care for them. Sold the remaining box and cigars to someone who liked them.
  • Partagas Series D Especial LE 2010. Great looking cigars. Just not reaching for them at all.

The very first box of CC's I bought. A box of Monte No. 2's that I picked up in a PX while deployed to Afghanistan. With really zero knowledge of cigars, at the time, I didn't know any better. Thought they were okay at the time. Realized a year later, after smoking another Monte No. 2 gifted to me by a friend, that what I'd bought was crap. Ignorance can be bliss. pod.gif

A box of SCDLH La Fuerza. Bought a year and a bit ago, box is from 2010. Bought blind, but from a trusted retailer, just not a hand-picked item - very claro wrappers, almost no aromas, not really developing as good as I know La Fuerza can go. Less than 1/2 the box remaining, looking keen to get a much better, much darker and oilier box soon - told myself that only PSP from Czar's is what I'm gonna get for these in the future, if buying through the internet. Not a cigar to buy blind I guess.

Although, when we were in Cuba in November, I was tormented over getting a box. At the Club Havana, I found a decently dark and marbled oily box from 2004 or 2005, but with amazing and refined aromas, extremely potent smelling box, but I was well over my cigar limit already, and had to pass on the box at the time.

With hope, it'll be there waiting for me this next November.... daydream.gif

The very first box of CC's I bought. A box of Monte No. 2's that I picked up in a PX while deployed to Afghanistan. With really zero knowledge of cigars, at the time, I didn't know any better. Thought they were okay at the time. Realized a year later, after smoking another Monte No. 2 gifted to me by a friend, that what I'd bought was crap. Ignorance can be bliss. pod.gif

Does that mean the ones you bought were fake or you just dont care for monte 2's?

potent smelling box, but I was well over my cigar limit already, and had to pass on the box at the time.

With hope, it'll be there waiting for me this next November.... daydream.gif

Well I think I know feeling pretty damn well.... :rotfl:

For me it had to be Cohiba Genios and Magicos. Did a split on both of these and couldn't care less for them.

I'm assuming you're talking about one of the British (or other foreign country) PX. If you bought them from the actual US PX then they were the non-cuban version of the No. 2 (http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cig_view&itemcode=mx2). If you bought them from a local vendor allowed to do business on the base they were almost guaranteed to be fake. I'll add a picture of an example of a fake taken in Baghdad in a few minutes. Every example I saw was horrific. Bundles of Behikes, vitolas that didn't exist for any marca, etc.

An almost 8" long Fauxhiba mystery stick

9e8ymeza.jpg

A box of RASS. Utter trash.

Still i want to give them another shot since so many here love them, but like someone mentioned before i think i'll be going for a psp/hq box to make sure i see what they are really about.

Even though I generally love RyJ Short Churchills I bought a box that was like smoking toilet paper. No flavors what-so-ever. The next time I bought a box I reached out to Rob to hand pick one. I have been extremely happy with Rob's box. They are exactly what an RyJ SC should be, rich, creamy, hint of sweetness, wood and light espresso roast.

Rocky Patel - Vintage 1992 (can't remember the rest) it was pure crap. I tossed the cigar before it was even 1/3 done ... couldn't even force myself to finish it. Luckily for me I had no problem unloading the box to a couple friends of mine that really like them.

I picked up a box of San Cristóbal La Fuerza that I really regret picking up. Complete crap. The box is from February 09 so I don't even think aging will help; they are simply not my cup of tea.

I also picked up a box of Partagas Presidentes for nostalgic reasons as it was one of the first, if not the first, Partagas I ever tried before jumping over the deep end in the CC world. Box is from March 2011 and I am really hoping that in a few more years they will have mellowed out a bit.

The most disappointment I have is generally ER and EL cigars...

So the answere is give up and stop buying them I guess...

Common ground is where you find it. I am glad that I did not have to write this once more!

I think though that there should be some distinction from what should be considered as age effects and simply bad cigars. Sampling one cigar, or a few does not tell you what the whole box will be like. I too sometime judge a cigar by the few. As a matter of economy I think we all do.

There are plenty of us who like the cigars that another dislikes. You might find that even you pick one up that changes your mind. But is this the cause of vintage, luck, or age is impossible to determine.

I profile cigars by many means. Size is certainly one way. Vintage year another, popularity or the haste that is used to produce it, yet another.

My point is that focusing on age, while it is a topic of discussion, may have no bearing on the "start" quality and the eventual satisfaction of your cigars. I speculate that a bad cigar will ever be a bad cigar. A bad cigar is timeless! Unfortunately you only know when you smoke it. It is easy to blame age for bad cigars. IMHO, bad cigars start bad. Age has little or nothing to do with it!

I tend to believe that if you smoked the whole box in 30 or 60 days you would have come to the same conclusion except that you would not have considered age a factor. This is of course unless you blame age habitually and say you smoked them too young...

Age is an "out" for Tabacuba making poor quality cigars. Not all your cigars are going to be good ones, but the majority should be. Regular or special production, this is what you pay for; good cigars! The people to blame are the people that make them. Old Man Time seems to get the rap quite often, and even though blaming age is not the center of this thread, I thought it might be fun to talk about.

I have been disappointed by many a cigar and many boxes. The key is to reduce that occurrence and focus on buying and smoking the best ones you can afford.

Cheers. -the Pig

I agree Ray. The stockpile of properly aged Cuban tobacco being used to produce current stock now makes the excuse "these are too young" obsolete for now, unless the cigars are so strong that they are unsmokeable. I started buying Cuban cigars three years ago and the only cigars that were "a mistake" were cigars that were obviously poorly constructed or the blend was bland.

To properly address the OPs own box - it was rolled in June! It's barely 6 months since it was rolled and if it smells of ammonia it's obviously not meant to be smoked yet. Ammonia doesn't mean a bad box what-so-ever. It means it is a very new box that needs more time before it's meant to be smoked. Personally, I have never had a box that smell of ammonia.

I really don't think they were a mistake, rather just a bum box that happens.

07 RJ Short Churchill - cardboard

08 CoRo - others are raving about their 08' Coros - mine are a let down (crossing fingers)

08 HdM Epi 1 - Wind Tunnels

PCC Vintage Box of HuP Connie 1 - Windy and cardboard

HuP 1/2 Coronas - I have a box that is like smoking charcoal (had others that were brilliant)

Jury is still out on another PCC Vintage Cab I have