The box was a mistake.

We are by no means experts on the subject, have enough boxes to compare or even go through cigars fast enough to remember one smoke from the first in the box to the last.

But we have found that humidity can improve a box and sometimes a few cigars, to use the technical term, can suck.

L

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought 3 boxes of Padrons..

80th Anny

40 Anny

No. 9

Paid full price.... And could have had 8 boxes of awesome CC for the same price..... Doh!

We are by no means experts on the subject, have enough boxes to compare or even go through cigars fast enough to remember one smoke from the first in the box to the last.

But we have found that humidity can improve a box and sometimes a few cigars, to use the technical term, can suck.

L

Lisa, you do not give yourself enough credit. Expert in the field of personal preference is meaningless. Each is an expert in her own taste.

On the next topic you have made a comment that I have believed in for years. The only thing that the owner of a cigar can do to change its taste is control its water content. This proves to me you are more expert than you let on!!!

Dryer cigars yield better flavor (MHO). Once you recognize that storage is the only tool you have beyond selection to determine cigar taste quality, you have acquired a quantum leap in smoking knowledge.

-R

As a convert from NCs only a year or two ago. With approx 25 boxes, of which most I have sampled. It's hard to find a box I don't like. If I happen to smoke a dud, a trip down memory lane with a NC quickly brings me back to my senses. It probably doesn't hurt that the majority of my stock has come from our hosts!

PLPC's. Love the size and keep hearing how good they are and a great value, but they were the least favorite of any petite corona I have had. Bought a box of 50, had them for a few years, not once did I enjoy them. Ended up giving the last 3rd away.

They were just boring and I would rather spend the money on a Boli PC which are always in tune. (less a few tight ones)

PLPC's. Love the size and keep hearing how good they are and a great value, but they were the least favorite of any petite corona I have had. Bought a box of 50, had them for a few years, not once did I enjoy them. Ended up giving the last 3rd away.

They were just boring and I would rather spend the money on a Boli PC which are always in tune. (less a few tight ones)

Thought it was just me! X2 taste like straight tobacco nothing else

Other candidates:

Epi #1 #2 current production

JL #1 #2 current production

RASS current production

Boli Jr current production

I've unloaded a few boxes that weren't to my taste but were otherwise decent cigars, the only box I've bought that was complete trash was a 2009 RASS. I've had others that were significantly better but this box was just awful. I still have a couple left, the others have been 'gifted' to moochers...

Not a lot of love for the Mag 50 on here, particularly 2008. I have a 2008 box that is just fantastic, somewhat milder in flavour but rich and complex, I tend to save them for 'special occassions'.

Thought it was just me! X2 taste like straight tobacco nothing else

Other candidates:

RASS current production

Boli Jr current production

This is where it is interesting - My Boli' s are not bad, and the fresh RASS I had today was close to awesome. (But I aways thought RA's were better young.) Interested to hear your box code and date. (SAB, May 12)

monte C's. some bastard (no names, but the initials are rob ayala) convinced me that they were sensational and i needed to have a box more than i needed air. he was wrong.

to be fair, he has been right on a couple of other occasions.

lmao.

I'm scarcely into allot of my boxes.. The wife has me on a 1 cigar a fortnight quota. What I have tried and am concerned about are the Genios and the Monte 2's..

Rass I've had a love hate relationship with.. And there's a box of H.Uppman royal coronas I've had a love hate relationship with aswell..

Does that mean the ones you bought were fake or you just dont care for monte 2's?

Don't believe they were fake, just not kept properly. Dig the Monte 2's. Picked up a 10ct. PSP box from an LFTH last year....mmmmmm.

I'm assuming you're talking about one of the British (or other foreign country) PX. If you bought them from the actual US PX then they were the non-cuban version of the No. 2 (http://www.jrcigars....ew&itemcode=mx2). If you bought them from a local vendor allowed to do business on the base they were almost guaranteed to be fake. I'll add a picture of an example of a fake taken in Baghdad in a few minutes. Every example I saw was horrific. Bundles of Behikes, vitolas that didn't exist for any marca, etc.

An almost 8" long Fauxhiba mystery stick

9e8ymeza.jpg

Picked up the box in question an the Norwegian PX on MeS. I think it was a problem with poor storage. I've got no idea how they were shipped to the PX or the conditions they were kept until reaching the PX. Not to mention the little cabinet "humidor" they were being kept in combined with every Joe constantly opening it and looking through the boxes, etc. My guess is they had sat in poor conditions for too long and just lost any real flavor. Now they just serve as a memento from a long deployment.

When I picked up a 10 ct box of RyJ short churchills I thought it was an awesome smoke. Each one after another tasted worse and worse until the last one pretty much just tasted like cardboard. Going to smoke one every few months but I'm not really expecting them to suddenly evolve into something completely different

Tons of NC boxes like Gurkha Ancient Warriors, Padron Anniversary, Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, Alec Bradley, et cetera early on in my smoking career that I had a hard time getting rid of when I switched to CCs.

In the CC realm, the standouts were a 25er of Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios, a box of 2000 Sancho Panza Tent Pegs (aka Sanchos), and pretty much every Partagas box I ever bought with the exception of D4 and Culebras.

All part of the learning experience - that's what I tell myself late at night when I can't sleep for thinking of all the cash I wasted :rolleyes:

A while back I bought a ten pack of Monte Edmundos and whilst they weren't awful I wished I spent the money elsewhere. The first one blew my head off and after that they were hit (think double espresso) and miss (harsh and over the top)

I think we've all probably gone a bit hog wild with purchases when we started off on cigars- it's a steep learning curve and as your palate develops, you quickly regret the box you bought that seemed like a 'must have' at the time.

When I first got into cigars I really enjoyed the Hoyo de Monterrey line - I'm still a massive fan of the Hoyo Des Dieux, Hoyo de Roi etc, but less so the regular line. I have a cracking cab of Hoyo Epi. No 2 from 2004 that I still open every now & then and enjoy a lot, but there are other cigars that I'd prefer to have.

The cab of Hoyo Petit Robusto I have is a different story altogether - they were from the first batch to hit the market, and I enjoyed them when fresh, but since then it has been all downhill. I still have about six or seven left and can't bring myself to smoke them, or even to give them away (they're that bad).

I'm not completely giving up on them though. I had a happy realisation recently with a box of Monte. 2's that I've been resenting taking up space in my humidor, practically since I bought them.

I picked them up in Cuba in about 2009 - I'd been searching the island high and low for a box of Diplomatico No. 2's but on our last day in Havana, decided I'd "settle" on a box of Monte. 2's. I mean everyone should have box Monte 2's in their rotation, right?

I regretted it almost straight away. Hated the flavour, the draw, the appearance. Mostly I resented them for not being a box of Diplo 2's. I stuck them in the back of the humidor and resentfully pulled the box out twice a year to see if they'd come around. They hadn't.

Then late last year I gave one a go again. Really enjoyed it. Just a flat out great smoke from start to finish. Tried another since then and it was just as good. It's given me some hope that even boxes that we resent buying could some day come around to be something we really enjoy.