James Has It Right - Not A Bad List

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the lists coming out! Mine for 2012 (Cigars with same score in no particular order):

Partagas Tres Petit Corona 95

Bolivar Demi Tasse 94

Quai d'Orsay Panetela 94

Quai d'Orsay Coronas 94

CoH Custom Dalia 94

H .Upmann Sir Winston 94

H.Upmann Grand Corona 94

Illusione cg:4 93

Romeo y Julieta Tres Petit Corona 93

HDM Des Dieux 93

Punch Sabrosos 92

Cohiba Robusto 92

Montecristo Sublime 92

Bolivar Petit Corona 92

I agree with most cigar on James' list though I'm a little baffled by the Montecristo No.2 with 97 points. Perhaps he meant the GR. Also, I'd disagree that the BHK is a 100 pointer. It has so much potential down the road, I'd say it's a 95-96 pointer at best (from the early '10 production I've tried). I'm glad the Party EL made in on the list...I'd never experienced such power and finesse in a CC before.

Agreed 100%, I will offer an opinion here with some thought, hopefully some will see it as meaningful critique rather than a jab.

I've read this thread and seen who's been crabby about the list. Having read their posts for a while here and at other places, I think the resentment comes from what appears to be duplicity. The resentment isn't about Suckling, nor the cigar. It's more so the motive.

Is this a good list or an easy list?.........I hear you Rob. I guess the 'whys' of life are always a curiosity to me, but clearly such topics don't always make for polite conversation...

I am willing to bet that the voiced objections stem from the assumption that this list serves no one but Habanos. The list seems to aid and abet Habanos in a pitch - if you will - to sell their most expensive and popular cigars. These aren't grail cigars he's listing here. All of these can be attained easily. All the highly praised EL/REs, the seemingly easy "fan-favorite" pick of Monte #2, and of course, the DP as a vintage pick of the year. What a wash, anyone could have picked these 10 blind, right? Or perhaps he just enjoys a big cigar, and the seco taste.

He fills categories: 3 ELs, 2 REs, 2 high end regular release, 1 regular release, 1 humidor/book release, and 1 vintage. Was this structure planned, or did he just pick these 10 as the most memorable to him in 2012? I'd deduce as such, since if it were really the best of 2012 memories, I would have to imagine that he'd have listed customs while in Cuba, or 10 vintage cigars out of his phenomenal stock that I have been told he has - and he did to a point with the DP, providing some actual insight that is true. Furthermore, to take paranoia even further, who does he help, and what does he get out of posting such an absurd vintage list - albeit truthful to him? At least with the posted list, it brings more visibility to the EL/REs and perhaps appeases his Cuban friends. (This is very speculative, it's just food for thought)

So he structured the list, and that in of itself makes this list somewhat insufficient - although I agree with him on the ELs and REs. He really thought those through, as he wrote on his blog - bet it was hard to keep the Royal Robusto off, but maybe had to differentiate with CA. I don't quite agree on the regular release nor the vintage picks, but hey, it's "his" list.

Just a thought.

This has made for... interesting reading. It's made me really think about the purpose of reading other people's cigar reviews and best-of lists. I must conclude that you can't separate the man behind the keyboard from the words on the page or what hope do any of us have of forming a meaningful connection with one another while scattered across the globe?

Let's say that a new forum member joins and his very first post is nothing but a list of his top ten cigars. If you adhere to the notion that publicly submitting subjective thoughts on cigars should not reflect on the writer then who cares? From my point of view it would at least give insight into the tastes of the new poster and possibly how long he's been in the game going by vintage picks. Likewise people have tried to extrapolate information about Mr Suckling through his submission.

I see nothing wrong with this in principal, it's human nature to profile people based upon the information to hand, the accuracy of this depends on how much exposure you have to a person and how well that person puts themselves across. I must also agree though that there is a line of decency that should not be crossed and unfounded personal attacks should not be tolerated (I've not really seen any in this thread unless all have been deleted).

Getting to the list it's self, it's certainly very different from mine! I must admit to not having tried the top two LEs yet so this has tempted me to grab a single or two of each. I've only owned and smoked 2 1966 and I really enjoyed them, I love a chocolaty cigar. I really like the BHK line generally speaking but I must say that the 56 is by far my least favourite due to girth, oh how I'd love a BHK corona gorda or lonsdale! The Monte 2 is a cigar that I've just never liked, I'd have a P2, Dip2 or Unicos over one any day of the week. The last 3 smokes I've also never tried.

Just came across this thread and i see yet nother forum is heading down the road of self destruction - what a shame.

Back to the thread, with my ability to distinguish flavours etc I can't see how anyone can distinguish between a 50 and 100 scoring cigar let alone a 94 and a 96 cigar.

My ratings are based on

Yuk chuck it in the bin

It needs to rest

I like it

Wow I need more boxes

If you don't like what I like that is your opinion and you should respect the fact that we differ, the same as I respect everyone else's opinion raven though in private I disagree.

There are some lists, beit an individual or business, that I take with a pinch of salt because the cynic in me says they are too close to give an unbiased opinion but that is just me.

So, for what it's wort, I look at multiple forums producing "best of" lists and look for the cigars that are consistent.

All of our budgets and tastes are different so we will never agree.

As for 2012 production, I haven't smoked any as I like my purchases to rest for at least 12 months before I smoke them

Have a good day all

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

I love lists regardless who is doing the rankings...JS tends to love the new best most expensive cigars and Cuba loves him for it....my only issue is stuff like the Davidoff and Trinidad really aren't "regular"....with that said ..the 40th was my fav .....keep the lists coming ...in fact i hope we have a thread on everyones top 10.

I have a different palate to James. Assess/evaluate a cigar differently. I respect his opinion but no more than the opinion of Ken, Colt, Chase, Bundwallah, Guy, Trevor, Tmac77, Ryan, Gino, Nino, Bartolomeo, Chance, keith, Art, Janet, Lisa, mk05, Aiz, Jose, Hamlet, Bear, etc etc

Yes! :)

I had the 520 and it didnt do much for me now but I would like to revisit it in a year to see progression

Bartolomeo

How is JS' dad and background relevant in any shape or form? ...You seem to imply that you have to be born and raised wealthy to enjoy the nice things of life.

People discredit him and his cigar ratings due to his taste for the limited edition and more expensive cigars. Which I think is wrong.

I don't think he meant anything by it, other than just giving you an idea of his past.

I love the taste of seco, the recent LE/REs have been great. Top 10 worthy of 2012? I have thoughts.

Please lets make this forum fun, show some more respect to others, and lets try not to take things too seriously. Life is too short. Cigars are just cigars at the end of the day.

I could not have put it better myself...

Well said graham mate.

Perhaps its time for a new FOH Commandment?????

No need........

RULE 1 NO Attacks Against Other Members.

This is not life and death people. It is the internet and a discussion board. We can all feel aggrieved

at certain times and hold strong personal thoughts on a subject. Express those thoughts but do it

without personal malice or reference to another member.

My ratings are based on

Yuk chuck it in the bin

It needs to rest

I like it

Wow I need more boxes

This is just like Matthew's rating system!

Very nice.

Not bad.

What else you got?

I like these lists. They let me brag about what I have in my stash. LOL.

No need........

RULE 1 NO Attacks Against Other Members.

This is not life and death people. It is the internet and a discussion board. We can all feel aggrieved

at certain times and hold strong personal thoughts on a subject. Express those thoughts but do it

without personal malice or reference to another member.

Agreed Trevor, but I was thinking specifically related to anything Suckling... Last I checked he wasnt a card carrying member of FOH.. :)

Agreed Trevor, but I was thinking specifically related to anything Suckling... Last I checked he wasn't a card carrying member of FOH.. smile.png

Maybe he uses a "nom de plume"............like MRN. So who knows who is not a member? Treat eveyone as if they are a member.

BTW....I did realise the irony of your original comment innocent.gif.

Each of the cigars on his list that I've smoked were memorable cigars. And I agree with his assessment on the Partagas.

I wasn't impressed with the Upmann EL so I can't say if I think his general EL conclusion is correct - but it would be interesting to see if this year is a turning point where the EL's notably improve (from generally above average to generally excellent).

If regular production lately has been great, it would stand to reason that the cigars receiving better than regular tobacco would be the best from the year. Maybe some would argue not better enough to justify the cost, but if Suckling is looking for 'his best', the cost may not matter. A 50% increase in price for a 10% increase in flavor may be worth it.

I'm not going to hunt out the Flor de Antilles, but I may hunt out a Cohiba Piramide Extra.

I finally gave in and put this guy's name into youtube to see what all the fuss is about, result is I love this guy! I didn't notice any strange accent or any of the other things people have mentioned, I sub'd to his youtube! He just comes across as some super friendly cigar lover, those two things are good enough for me in my book! If he somehow ventured up to the windy North of England I'd be happy to burn some leaf with him thumbsup.gif

It's always easy to hide behind a blog or text etc but to open yourself up to criticism via video isn't as easy as you'd think, you will pronounce cigars wrong or make mistakes, the trick is to be at the stage in your life where you simply don't care what other people think about you because you're happy with who you are. Someone at that point doesn't feel the need to hide behind showing off large numbers of expensive cars/cigars/holidays/experiences etc, if they did they wouldn't put themselves in the firing line via video. So it's pretty easy and safe to say that he smokes what he enjoys and doesn't care if 1 person or a million people don't agree with him or leave insults on his youtube videos, if it did he wouldn't keep putting them up!

Anyone who will sit in-front of a camera by themselves and try to talk to himself and hundreds/thousands of people at the same time while knowing full well some people will attack you for your opinion/the way you look/speak is a decent bloke to me.

Off topic- It would be interesting to see how many members would take a seat in his chair and make a 10 min video of just themselves reviewing a cigar, I wonder how many of the loud voices of the written word would hit the upload button for a video.