James Has It Right - Not A Bad List

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt mind the list... just like the CA list. Both are "opinions". James' more than CA's perhapse.

One thing i didnt agree was a top 10 was the monte 520... was I the only person that thought it was not THAT good?

No, you and me are the only TWO persons :innocent:

Nino off to a beach in Thailand now? I am always available if you need someone to carry your bags or cigars. smile.png

Not now, next Tuesday. And I am taking my wife with me ....innocent.gif

Thanks for the offer man, I don't care about my bags but will not leave my cigars un-attended jester.gif

Good Night.

I have to say the vitriol on display is fascinating. I don't understand the near-militant nature that seems to creep in.

Are the cigars on the list ones that would pick? No...but that's a function more of what I can find and afford. Of the two on his list that I've tried, I agree wholeheartedly on one (La Escepcion.......dying to find a box to buy) and disagree wholeheartedly on the other (Still havn't tried a Monte 2 that I like - even with PSP samples gifted from friends!) But why use it as an springboard for laying out what feels like an endless advertisement of an agenda?

Should pretty evident that it's a personal list. I mean, the top of the page says "My Blog : My best Cigars"!!!!!! My personal list would be different, as would just about everyone else's - doesn't mean the guy who wrote it is a douchebag. I've never met James, but certain if I had the opportunity to do so, I'd be happy to meet with a fellow cigar enthousiast, offer him a cigar that I enjoy from my humidor, and enjoy a good discussion on just about anything/everything. Meeting someone and finding out the kind of guy/gal they are is the true way to really know a person and form an opinion of them - and that's the beauty of cigars in my mind - the social aspect, meeting people, making new friends, and even if you don't make new friends - you've had an interesting time, as long as you're open-minded. When I think of the friends I've made from going out and meeting people from the Forums on my travels (Guy, Nino, Almudawi, Onsto, Keith, Art, Frank.....)....I may not agree with them on their opinions (Keith - I don't like those Monte 2s!!!! haha), but my life is far richer having met them. Forming an opinion of a person based on what someone writes is natural - but it's not a true reflection of that person if you've never met them, and just maybe, is best kept to one's self. Maybe you meet them in the future and it turns out they are 100% what you thought.....but the opposite could be true too......so is it really fair to judge based on such limited information as written cigar reviews and thoughts?

I've always thought a place like FOH should be a place of conversation and debate, but Boy.....it sure feels more like an Bully Pulpit for Opinions without consideration for a counter-position or disagreement. "This guy sucks 'cause all he ever talks about his expensive cigars that I can't get or that I think are too fat to fit in my mouth". Is that fair to that guy? Maybe that's what he likes because he tries all the newest stuff and never ventures to older classics that you or I might enjoy. Who knows. Doesn't make him wrong.

I'm rambling, and I'll stop in a second, because I probably sound like a guy with an agenda too. All I'll say is this - I may be a relatively young guy and new cigar smoker with less than a decade of cigars under my belt, but I've found in my life that an Open Mind is one of the greatest assets you can have in everything you do. Meet new people, Enjoy cigars you like but try new ones too - 'cause it takes all kinds in this world, and you're not going to live a full life if you close your mind out to what's out there.

I love my long skinnies and discontinueds, but the best cigar I've had in the last couple months was a Partagas Salomones. Open Mind and Open Heart - you may get hurt sometimes, but you also glean much happiness and enjoyment too.

My $0.02. Interesting list, James Suckling. I agree on the La Escepcions - they are kick-ass awesome cigars.

Thanks for those sensitive words Chris. Clearly the discussions can get touchy in the spirit of the changes at HSA and the climate of discontinuations and such.

I don't think that those who love the new releases and marketing direction of HSA are any more or less militant than those who are uncomfortable with the changes. A friendlier dialog can't hurt. I need to remember to use more emoticons. Blasted Internet.

Can only wish to try a Davidoff Dom Perignon...

Sorry bro. I've only got the one. innocent.gif

And seriously guys. That's Jame's personal list, which I like. Sure he has an "air" about him but I think he's genuinely enthusiastic about Cuban cigars. I enjoy his writing and videos. If it's a "shtick" it's an entertaining one IMO.

Some thin skin here yet again.... Yes it is a personal list that was put out for the world to read. Therefore it is open to discussion and disagreement. The author of the list is not separate from it, rather it is important and relevant to note.

Good lord, smoke a cigar and relax people.

The author of the list is not separate from it, rather it is important and relevant to note.

So he can be used as a Pinata?

Rubbish. If people feel like that then go and find another board.

I find it very interesting all the yammer about Sucklings choices....i wonder if his preferences have anything to do with his ability to buy and smoke anything on the list daily? I wonder how ones preferences develop or change according to what they smoke frequently, have access to consistently? If one only/mostly smokes these cigars for the most part would one become accustomed to these higher end cigars? I mean really you could relate that to just about anything, cars, wine, clothing, food. It doesnt mean that a good RASS cannot be outstanding by any means but i believe that what you are exposed to and have access to and can implement in your life daily heavily shapes what we come to love.

why is it pointless? I tend to like to see what people think about cigars. Not really a situation if I agree or not. Would rather people share their opinions/views than not.

Agree or disagree isn't really the point. Sharing thoughts/views/ opinions are.

Precisely..and whether you like the guy or not, everyone seems to read or listen to what he has to say in regard to cigars..I for one don't mind his opinion. I think his list is on the money. I still have not been able to get my hands on any 520,s and god knows what I would pay for a Dom Perignom as for the Trinni 40th well...

If the list had been generated by El Pres (or any other member here) and posted here... I'm all but positive that even if there was disagreement with the list - there would have been no personal attacks.

Not that my opinion matters.... but I do get disappointed that guys who I respect a lot, with the intellect they possess, do not agree that keeping debate focused on lists - rather than the people who created them - is important.

Keep calm.... carry on....

I hear you Rob. I guess the 'whys' of life are always a curiosity to me, but clearly such topics don't always make for polite conversation.

Why people prefer the things they do is of interest and can provoke deeper conversation. But things get off track and too personal rather quickly. On my side, I shouldn't assume that the list isn't genuine or valid on its own terms. On the side of those who don't get the critique, several have resorted to baseless personal attacks or mischaracterizations.

Part of the diffuculty in communicating via forum posting. Nuance and intent are difficult to gauge. Sensitivity runs rampant. So be it.

More smokin.....

Etc

No, of course not. no reason to insult the man! But, discussing his list, because he is a cigar celebrity, the fact that he wrote it and not some joe shmo, means that people will take it into consideration. I obviously missed the insulting posts that were deleted, and if they were, so be it. No reason to disparage the man. But discussing his list is not exclusive to the list while ignoring him.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a different palate to James. Assess/evaluate a cigar differently. I respect his opinion but no more than the opinion of Ken, Colt, Chase, Bundwallah, Guy, Trevor, Tmac77, Ryan, Gino, Nino, Bartolomeo, Chance, keith, Art, Janet, Lisa, mk05, Aiz, Jose, Hamlet, Bear, etc etc etc etc.

I also don't resent a persons access or collection of cigars. Pot shots at James for perhaps (I have no idea) not purchaseing his cigars with "hard earned" money is fascinating. Following that line, there goes the opinion of 99% of serious wine writers, travel writers, IT writers. Makes little sense to me.

In many ways I am "old school" in that an online smackdown is a cheap shot. Playing the man and not the ball reflects primarily on the poster and not the target. It also reflects on the forum and its culture.

Almost every thread on James here on FOH ends up the same. He is a polarising figure no doubt but I have yet to see an article (that I can recall) from James that deserves the slide into comments on his speach, hair, pomposity, celebrity, wankerishness etal.

The man posted his top cigars for 2012. Take it for what it is. Comment on it (the list). Disagree, agree, substitute cigars. His list is an interesting viewpoint and not an invitation to denigrate or heckle the man himself.

James and I are not close by any means. We know each other, have spoken, shared meals etal. Mates? No. However I don't tolerate someone being personally bagged for something outside of what he or she has written. To me it is a gutless act that I want no part of on FOH.

And yes, we have had some spirited "discussions" over the years. I am no follower of the cult of celebrity. I am a zealot however of the cult of decency.

I've only tried one on the list - the Monte 2! Although I have a 520 in the humidor that I'm eager to try.

I've always enjoyed James's articles in CA and more recently in CJ. My only complaint is that they're often not long enough! Same goes with his excellent doco.

I don't see any reason to attack james...he grew up with a lawyer father in Beverley Hills who regularly drank lafite and latour. Can't blame him for his money, his upbringing, and his taste for the fine things in life. In my opinion, he's one of the most knowledgable guys (perhaps the most) on CC's today. He might come off as a snob, but he knows his sh*t.

but clearly such topics don't always make for polite conversation...

Why people prefer the things they do is of interest and can provoke deeper conversation.

I totally agree Commy... But I guess I've historically always found the most compelling arguments made (regardless of subject) are ones where the speaker / author convinced me of their point of view with an intelligent, difficult to counter, case. Those kind of thought provoking dissertations are the ones I appreciate and respect most.

My best mate still tries to convince me of a higher power (G*D)... yet he has never been able to convince me of his case with an intelligent and irrefutable argument.

More smokin.....

Etc

You said it best, mate !

My Top Ten smokes from 2012....

1. San Cristobal Muralla

2. Cohiba Siglo V

3. Por Larranaga Cervantes

4. RyJ Cazadores

5. Bolivar Petite Belicosa

6. Partagas Charlotte

7. H Upmann Belvedere

8. Montecristo No.2

9. Quai d'Orsay Ninfa

10. SLR Regios

Humble, but all reasonably aged & all mine...spotlight.gif

I should really put a codicil on these..I include a price when bought when rating for myself ie; the Monte Sublime just missed a place because of it's price...I won't denigrate the quality of a smoke, just balance it against reason.

My Top 10 List 2012

1. Cohiba Gran Reserva - 99

2. Behike 52 (2011) - 98

3. Cohiba 1966 2011 - 97

4. Montecristo Gran Reserva - 97

5. Cohiba Sublime 2004 -96

6. Ramon Allones Phoenicia 2008 - 96

7. Montecristo 520 2012 - 95

8a. Montecristo Sublime 2008 - 95

8b. Ramon Allones Super Ramon 2011 - 94

9. Cohiba Siglo VI - 93

10. Upmann Royal Robusto 2012 - 92