James Has It Right - Not A Bad List

valid point however, I think that the quality of tobacco and the construction of cigars produced today is quite special. I would not say lazy at all, seeing that this is one man's view and what he thinks is good. I am sure if he put a top 25 list, there would be others that would get the nod.

I don't think just anyone can rattle this off as there is a need to try a variety cigars to make a comparison and selection.

I think Suckling has proven his depth of knowledge in his writings of both CA and ECC and Wine Spectator.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James is who he is. He fawns over the ultra-expensive and rare. He will never not be that way. I think he's an entertaining guy and good at what he does. But he is kind of like your rich snob friend who "only" drinks the best wines and smokes the finest cigars. It's easy to rave about a $50 cigar or $500 bottle of wine because everyone assumes it is going to be great because of the price. Also, people will always be interested to read about what they can't get or afford. It's a good business model for someone like James, who has the access and friends. I say good for him. Most likely those cigars are fantastic anyways. Don't hate the player, hate the game yo'!

X2

Pointless exercise - right.

If you don't like the list, the man or the cigars, why bother with pointless non-constructive ad-hominen comments ??

Save your energy and money for Quinteros and/or Brevas :-)

That phrase doesn't mean what you think it means.

I don't have anything against suckling, he's an entertainer not really a flavor guy. Ease up nino and keep livin well my friend.

James impressed me when he smoked the Monte and Partagas EL '10 while in Mexico. He was spot on with his analysis of the cigars. He said the GE was big, lush and "better" than the Partagas. He got it exactly right about the differences in the cigars, but I don't agree with him about the GE being better. I love the Partagas because it is so different than many EL blends. It's smooth, floral, with a white pepper spice on the back end. Basically it's different and I like it. James rated the GE better for him and I made my own judgement about what I like.

With the exception of the Monte 2, Part C and Monte 520 - I will most likely not smoke any of the other cigars on his list. I am happy he enjoy the others and is living the dream. Good for him.

James is who he is. He fawns over the ultra-expensive and rare. He will never not be that way. I think he's an entertaining guy and good at what he does. But he is kind of like your rich snob friend who "only" drinks the best wines and smokes the finest cigars. It's easy to rave about a $50 cigar or $500 bottle of wine because everyone assumes it is going to be great because of the price. Also, people will always be interested to read about what they can't get or afford. It's a good business model for someone like James, who has the access and friends. I say good for him. Most likely those cigars are fantastic anyways. Don't hate the player, hate the game yo'!

I agree with much of what you wrote. I am not 'hating' (whatever that means really) but rather just pointing out that these types of lists are not very interesting nor do they show a true individual flair.

At least we all know that when the next LFTH is full of Monte no.2s, they're the ideal cigar to smoke on the beach or in the vineyard. I'm 100 points on that.fuel.gif

7. Montecristo No.2: I smoked a number of these current production torpedo cigars while working in Sicily this summer. And they were all fabulous. I forgot how great the cigar can be since I seldom buy them myself. I prefer different shapes than torpedos. It was great smoking in and outdoors – even at the beach or in vineyards. It was full-bodied with intense walnut, milky coffee and sweet tobacco character. It had a long and flavorful aftertaste. 97 points

That phrase doesn't mean what you think it means.

I don't have anything against suckling, he's an entertainer not really a flavor guy. Ease up nino and keep livin well my friend.

Well, you don't seem to have anything for Suckling.

Not even a meaningful critique.

Just some tired cliches.

Not even the Cojones to explain the personal attacks .

I live well enough, thank you - and I choose my own friends.

I agree with much of what you wrote. I am not 'hating' (whatever that means really) but rather just pointing out that these types of lists are not very interesting nor do they show a true individual flair.

Just curious as to why you think it isn't interesting? Seeing the CA list and Suckling's list are parabolically opposite, it leads to some good discussions on the cigars ranked.

Seeing we are at 2 pages, you could say that there has been a lot of interest and discussion stimulated from this.

I wasn't saying you were hating on him. That was an expression, not directed at you. I agree with your premise that these very expensive and sometimes rare cigars are kind of boring because I assume they will score well AND I won't be buying them, lol. I am more interested in regular production ratings most of the time.

Honestly Art...

I don't even look at the CA rankings anymore. Casa Magnum was the final straw there.

I think I was clear as to why I don't find a list of the latest new and limited cigars to be terribly interesting. If recent production is so good (a point with which I happen to agree) how about listing QDO Coronas, Mag 46, Siglo IV, Hoyo Epi 1, RG PC, etc etc.

Was a mild critique that can hopefully spur further conversation. I have nothing against Suckling or the yuppie lifestyle per se.

:lol:

Honestly Art...

I don't even look at the CA rankings anymore. Casa Magnum was the final straw there.

I think I was clear as to why I don't find a list of the latest new and limited cigars to be terribly interesting. If recent production is so good (a point with which I happen to agree) how about listing QDO Coronas, Mag 46, Siglo IV, Hoyo Epi 1, RG PC, etc etc.

Was a mild critique that can hopefully spur further conversation. I have nothing against Suckling or the yuppie lifestyle per se.

:lol:

Thanks for the explanation bro. I did want to understand why you think it wasn't interesting. It would be good to see what a more expansive ranking would be.

I think there is some interest in the latest in new or limited cigars as they are pricy and I can appreciate that people would like to get a sense of what to expect, flavour profile etc. before forking out hard earned money. If it was easy, we wouldn't need 'experts'

A good example is the Partagas Serie C. I think it is an ok cigar but not sure if it is worthy of the price tag. Happy to have tried it so I can make a decision on whether or not to buy more. Would rather have a good 898.

A good example is the Partagas Serie C. I think it is an ok cigar but not sure if it is worthy of the price tag. Happy to have tried it so I can make a decision on whether or not to buy more. Would rather have a good 898.

Agree with you on the P Serie C - have not liked the ones I've tried and will need more to form an opinion, wouldn't buy it so far.

It's amazing the controversy that Suckling can create. I love it! rotfl.gif

As for the list itself, it means nothing to me because I don't purchase/seek out HTF smokes anymore so I would have no idea if I agreed with it or not. In fact, I think things like this just play into the HSA HTF/rare/limited monster that they are becoming. If they haven't already.

For me, regular production trumps HTF 7-8/10 times.

Ahhh....wake up to find the Anti-Suckling brigade in full mode.

Every Suckling thread has the same "death by a thousand cuts" attacks.

"Yuppie" "Ultra Expensive" bla bla bla. Some attacks are more feigned than others but they have one thing in common, they are multiple posts slowly trying to drag him down like hyenas on a zebra.

1. It s a personal list.

2. It is a personal list.

3. It is a personal list.

Discuss the list. Leave the man alone.

Accept it or move on.

Hey : It is a personal cigar list, and, again, in my opinion it is a pretty good cigar list.

The intention is to discuss the list and its contents on the merits of the cigars, not of the person behind the list.

To see the thread being mis/used to vent cheap unfounded personal attacks against a guy I & many consider a genuine and certified passionate cigar lover and a personal friend makes me wonder about the reasons some people have to be consistently destructive and why they will try and disrupt a thread that goes against their personal taste or idea of pc.

Guess I need some beach time ...

I agree with most cigar on James' list though I'm a little baffled by the Montecristo No.2 with 97 points. Perhaps he meant the GR. Also, I'd disagree that the BHK is a 100 pointer. It has so much potential down the road, I'd say it's a 95-96 pointer at best (from the early '10 production I've tried). I'm glad the Party EL made in on the list...I'd never experienced such power and finesse in a CC before.

Might I recommend smoking a 520 Nino. LOL.

Accepted - will do so tomorrow in the pub and as of Wednesday in Thailand on the beach after cutting off all WLAN cables :-)

Gracias Senor Maduro Aristocratico :-))

I agree with most cigar on James' list though I'm a little baffled by the Montecristo No.2 with 97 points. Perhaps he meant the GR. Also, I'd disagree that the BHK is a 100 pointer. It has so much potential down the road, I'd say it's a 95-96 pointer at best (from the early '10 production I've tried). I'm glad the Party EL made in on the list...I'd never experienced such power and finesse in a CC before.

Same here in the opinion about the MC Nr 2 - surprised me for the regular production.

And 100 points for the 56's is way too much - my opinion, I'd have chosen the 52 or 54 at 95, not the 56.

Again, disagree on the Partagas.

Have just deleted a post re "PC whining".

if you have a problem take it up with me direct. I will get back to you next week if I remember.

I would defend any member here from backstabbing attacks/barbs. Have always done so.

Like James or don't like James I don't care. He is a friend to some of us.

Post away that you feel his list is light on current production, is missing this or that......no probs. Say that your tastes and his are polar opposites....no probs. State that you believe his list is overly influenced by LE's....no probs.

Start making character assessments (James is "this" James is "that" )and you have crossed the line. Some of us actually know him (the good the bad and the ugly like most people).

From this point on, discuss the list or contact me for a whinge.

Same here in the opinion about the MC Nr 2 - surprised me for the regular production.

And 100 points for the 56's is way too much - my opinion, I'd have chosen the 52 or 54 at 95, not the 56.

Again, disagree on the Partagas.

In the same camp. Prefer the 54 out of the 3 BHK vitolas, would pick the Siglo VI vs the piramides extra. Can only wish to try a Davidoff Dom Perignon...