James Has It Right - Not A Bad List

Not the first and certainly not the last time I agree with James Suckling, a passionate Cuba and cigar lover and respected friend.

Here's his list of 2012 best cigars - all Cubans of course, and I'm happy to find at least half of my personal favourites there, especially the MC 520 I fell in love with last visit and brought it home in tons and the 1966.

In my humble opinion they are the present day top Cubans :

http://www.jamessuckling.com/my-best-cigars-in-2012.html

Nino

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a comprehensive list and would agree with most cigars on there.

I would however place the cohiba 1966 at the top as i have yet to smoke a 520.

Quite a large percentage of that list consists of limited releases though...

Thanks for sharing

I agree. That list is full of quality choices. And I have 9/10 of those in my current stock! Maybe I'll do a countdown? smile.png

9/10 on the list is pretty good there Frank. I am only sitting at 8/10 and mostly due to the generocity of fellow BOTL's

You sure that list wasn't compiled by Art? :lookaround:

I don't agree with several of the selections but then again, Suckling picked the Trini Robusto T as cigar of the year a while back and I don't like those at all...

Smoke what YOU like - I certainly do :D

BHK 56 at 100 points? Most people bag on them as the worst of the 3 and that they are wind tunnels.

The few I've had from my box have been outstanding with great draws.

Quite a comprehensive list and would agree with most cigars on there.

I would however place the cohiba 1966 at the top as i have yet to smoke a 520.

Quite a large percentage of that list consists of limited releases though...

Thanks for sharing

And all are quite pricey cigars. If I am correct only two (Partagas C and Monte 2) are under $25 per stick.

Great list by Mr. Suckling. All excellent cigars and all worthy to be in this years's top 10.

I feel that James' list contains cigars that I'd rather smoke than the CA top ten for 2012.

That was an easy, easy, easy one, right .... :-))

You sure that list wasn't compiled by Art? lookaround.gif

I don't agree with several of the selections but then again, Suckling picked the Trini Robusto T as cigar of the year a while back and I don't like those at all...

Smoke what YOU like - I certainly do biggrin.png

Art - WTF is Art :-)

Agree with you : Smoke what you like, I certainly do too ok.gif

Is this a good list or an easy list? The Monte 2 is the only regular production cigar released prior to 2011 that makes the grade? Sorry. That is too easy. That is akin to limiting your best autos to 100k+ or best wines to $200+.

Where are the cigars that the average guy can buy in quantity and smoke daily? That has always been my critique with guys like Suckling. Anybody can fawn over the new and relatively expensive releases. How about some appreciation for the underachievers? That is the mark of a true critic worth their salt.

Is this a good list or an easy list? The Monte 2 is the only regular production cigar released prior to 2011 that makes the grade? Sorry. That is too easy. That is akin to limiting your best autos to 100k+ or best wines to $200+.

Where are the cigars that the average guy can buy in quantity and smoke daily? That has always been my critique with guys like Suckling. Anybody can fawn over the new and relatively expensive releases. How about some appreciation for the underachievers? That is the mark of a true critic worth their salt.

James is who he is. He fawns over the ultra-expensive and rare. He will never not be that way. I think he's an entertaining guy and good at what he does. But he is kind of like your rich snob friend who "only" drinks the best wines and smokes the finest cigars. It's easy to rave about a $50 cigar or $500 bottle of wine because everyone assumes it is going to be great because of the price. Also, people will always be interested to read about what they can't get or afford. It's a good business model for someone like James, who has the access and friends. I say good for him. Most likely those cigars are fantastic anyways. Don't hate the player, hate the game yo'!

I didnt mind the list... just like the CA list. Both are "opinions". James' more than CA's perhapse.

One thing i didnt agree was a top 10 was the monte 520... was I the only person that thought it was not THAT good?

looks like me and suckling have nothing in common LOL!!!

suffice to say I will never trust him when it comes to recommendations going forward (not that I have in the past!)

to add to that, who really cares about suckling's list it's like listing your favorite ny pizza...a rather pointless exercise

Pointless exercise - right.

If you don't like the list, the man or the cigars, why bother with pointless non-constructive ad-hominen comments ??

Save your energy and money for Quinteros and/or Brevas :-)