What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

First time trying Diplomaticos rum...good but very sweet. A lot of maple syrup on the palate.

Which one did you have? I think this is a fabulous rum. I see you are drinking it straight- this is how I enjoy drinking it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum. Was drinking it neat. The rum is pretty fault-free except just a tad too much maple on the palate for my liking.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Last night was my second (and I think my favorite affordable expression) of Springbank.

12 year old Cask Strength 100 proof. This is clearly my favorite this year. If you can get your hands on some, go for it!

• Like 2

Last night no cigar, just a couple of drams of Glendronach Batch #3 Cask Strength bottling. A blend of mature whiskies drawn from Oloroso and Pedro Ximinez sherry casks and bottled at 109.8 proof. Wow! No age statement but a delicious whisky with a surprisingly smooth taste for such a high proof. It is oily and supple with a noticeable sherry richness, and a pronounced malty profile that reminds me in some ways of the 12 year cask strength Springbank I had last night. I just ordered another 4 bottles to go with the original 4 that I ordered. It's a limited edition so it won't be around for too much longer I think. Very difficult to get Batch #2, which was more expensive.

I took a photo of most of a recent order, and you can see the bottle just to the right of the middle:

5486da436638971.jpg

Been a long and tiring day at the office so I am having a little rest with some Benriach.

05a9c9dfa043456bc2b73e385fef416d.jpg

You can detect the Sauternes (sweet botrytis white wine) aroma on the nose and the fore palate balancing the malt. Sweetish and pleasing with good length. A touch of butyl-rubber if any at all.

A day late , but had about 75 different whiskys in my glass yesterday. Attended the nyc whiskyfest. First stop was old rip van winkle to see what the hype of pappy was about. Good bourbon, but there's better out there, definatley overhyped.

As for scotches I tried to stay away from what I've had in the past and try only new stuff. Wish I could sit here and write specifics on what was best but honestly after you try so much it's hard to say. In the past when I've done these things I bought bottles of things I thought i loved to find out I hated them. One thing I will mention that I am usually someone who prefers the lighter speysides (although I enjoy a good Islay such as lagavulin 16) but for some reason last night I was really into the peat more than ever, especially laphroaig and i found my self going back for more, it's as if something clicked all of the sudden and my taste for it just came alive

• Like 1

First taste of Dalwhinnie 15...oh how thee are good! Really blown away by this. Truly a great whisky. Just moved into my Top 3 whiskies under $50. Lightly peaty/smokey, heather, citrus peel, grapefruit, and barley. Highly recommend if you like Glenlivet and Glenfarclas.

• Like 1

Sampled the Aberlour 12 Year Old when I popped by the local bottle-o. I am quite impressed by the richness of the malt at such a young age and bottled only at 40%.

Also tried the Ledaig 18 Year Old, found this to be a bit thin, to be honest and less attractive.

• Like 1

A day late , but had about 75 different whiskys in my glass yesterday. Attended the nyc whiskyfest. First stop was old rip van winkle to see what the hype of pappy was about. Good bourbon, but there's better out there, definatley overhyped.

As for scotches I tried to stay away from what I've had in the past and try only new stuff. Wish I could sit here and write specifics on what was best but honestly after you try so much it's hard to say. In the past when I've done these things I bought bottles of things I thought i loved to find out I hated them. One thing I will mention that I am usually someone who prefers the lighter speysides (although I enjoy a good Islay such as lagavulin 16) but for some reason last night I was really into the peat more than ever, especially laphroaig and i found my self going back for more, it's as if something clicked all of the sudden and my taste for it just came alive

Ralphie, did you have Old Rip Van Winkle 10 or Pappy? I found PVW 15 to be a truly excellent whiskey. ORVW10 is very good, but not the same quality. I don't like PVW 20 or 23- too dry, too oaky.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sampled the Aberlour 12 Year Old when I popped by the local bottle-o. I am quite impressed by the richness of the malt at such a young age and bottled only at 40%.

Also tried the Ledaig 18 Year Old, found this to be a bit thin, to be honest and less attractive.

Seng, try the Aberlour 12 non chill filtered or the Abunadh, better for not much more.

I like the regular Ledaig 10 (or is it 12?). Maybe an IB cask strength would be better than the 18.

Ralphie, did you have Old Rip Van Winkle 10 or Pappy? I found PVW 15 to be a truly excellent whiskey. ORVW10 is very good, but not the same quality. I don't like PVW 20 or 23- too dry, too oaky.

no and i regret not doing so, there was such a line and so much pressure to keep it moving that i didnt try them, and looking back at it i wish i had, everyone was there to try to the 23, that is my one regret and i was just thinking i should have went back to the booth after vip hour and tried the others