What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

fc5ba65b689f086a778a71b3f082df78.jpg

Not much left in my glass (or the bottle smile.png ) but enjoying a 2008 Burrowing Owl Merlot. Not normally big on Canadian red but I've been opening one of these about every 15 months and they continue to be much more enjoyable than I would have expected. This come from the Kelowna region in British Columbia and they certainly do red wine better than Niagara, ON. Climate definitely suits it more.

Had a '94 Reserve Burrowing Owl Merlot with the inlaws a while back. They buy that stuff by the case. Surprisingly, the wine was still holding up. Just barely... :)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Bowens California corn whiskey aged in barrels made of reclaimed Forrest fire wood from California. Followed by a pour of Glenfarclas 105.

post-9940-0-71959300-1409443331_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-72728600-1409443561_thumb.jp

A Few of the Weeks Libations. Woodford Reserve Four Wood from 2012's master collection, Old Fitzgerald 1849 wheated Bourbon. This is a truly under the radar wheater that most forget about. Some High West son of a Bourye a blend of Rye and Bourbon bottled by High West of Utah. Old Forrester Signature 100 proof, another under the radar bourbon but a quality everyday drinker.

post-9940-0-21693600-1409599771_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-71046600-1409599928_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-67559600-1409599947_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-40883200-1409600049_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-08551900-1409600067_thumb.jp

First bottle of tonight is the Willet 2 year rye($36.99) from the newly reopened Willet distillery. A very young rye that drinks young with to much spice and a highly alcoholic burn. This dram is way to young, and needs more time in the barrel. Currently absolute swill. It was so bad I poured it out over the 8th floor balcony because I could not finish it. The second pour of the night is Diageo's 20 year mystery Bourbon, Barterhouse. I say mystery because it tells you where it was stored and bottled, but where it is distilled is not disclosed. It has a whole story of how it was lost and found then bottled, but all that tells me is it was not good years ago and not good enough to bottle years ago so by putting a crazy age statement it would sell in today's Bourbon thirst. It had a distinct aroma of vanilla but heavy bitterness from the over oaking. To top it off this was a special release with a big price tag ($76.99) for a crap product. Stay away and overlook the fancy packaging, its swill as well.

As for the third dram of the night I poured some W.L. Weller Special Reserve. Bottled at 90 proof and made from a wheat mash bill, this product at $17.98 a bottle was by far the best bourbon of the evening and at a value price to boot. Verdict is drink with you pallet, not your eyes or wallet

post-9940-0-70407900-1409902607_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-24046100-1409902622_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-21922500-1409904251_thumb.jp

First bottle of tonight is the Willet 2 year rye($36.99) from the newly reopened Willet distillery. A very young rye that drinks young with to much spice and a highly alcoholic burn. This drsm is way to young, and needs more time in the barrel. Currently absolute swill. It was so bad I poured it out over the 8th floor balcony because I could not finish it. The second pour of the night is Diageo's 20 year mystery Bourbon, Barterhouse. I say mystery because it tells you where it was stored and bottled, but where it is distilled is not disclosed. It has a whole story of how it was lost and found then bottled, but all that tells me is it was not good years ago and not good enough to bottle years ago so by putting a crazy age statement it would sell in today's Bourbon thirst. It had a distinct aroma of vanilla but heavy bitterness from the over oaking. To top it off this was a special release with a big price tag ($76.99) for a crap product. Stay away and overlook the fancy packaging, its swill as well.

As for the third dram of the night I poured some W.L. Weller Special Reserve. Bottled at 90 proof and made from a wheat mash bill, this product at $17.98 a bottle was by far the best bourbon of the evening and at a value price to boot. Verdict is drink with you pallet, not your eyes or wallet

I kind of liked the Barterhouse - but then again, I am not a Bourbon guy at all. The other one of the Orphan Barrel series - Old Blowhard, was one of the smoothest Whiskeys I ever had. Too pricey, IMO, though.

I kind of liked the Barterhouse - but then again, I am not a Bourbon guy at all. The other one of the Orphan Barrel series - Old Blowhard, was one of the smoothest Whiskeys I ever had. Too pricey, IMO, though.

You don't have to be a bourbon guy to like or dislike any brand or expression of bourbon. I am only giving my opnion verses others I have tasted but we all have different pallets. That is why there is so much variety out there of whiskey. I am really into rum as well but have many friends who cannot pallet the difference between rhum agricole and industrial rum or consider it all best with coke, but certainly not neat. I'm glad you enjoy it so much if you ever need a resupply, and cannot find it any longer fell free to hit me up. I'll be more than happy to trade it for something you can't stomach but I might love. Cheers mate!

You don't have to be a bourbon guy to like or dislike any brand or expression of bourbon. I am only giving my opnion verses others I have tasted but we all have different pallets. That is why there is so much variety out there of whiskey. I am really into rum as well but have many friends who cannot pallet the difference between rhum agricole and industrial rum or consider it all best with coke, but certainly not neat. I'm glad you enjoy it so much if you ever need a resupply, and cannot find it any longer fell free to hit me up. I'll be more than happy to trade it for something you can't stomach but I might love. Cheers mate!

Variety is the spice of life ;) What I meant by not being a Bourbon guy is that I have little experience. I didn't buy any of these bottles but am lucky enough to be able to try these at my friends house :)

Variety is the spice of life ;) What I meant by not being a Bourbon guy is that I have little experience. I didn't buy any of these bottles but am lucky enough to be able to try these at my friends house :)

That's the best way to try things. I love drinking with friends and comparing tastes. Where are you from?

That's the best way to try things. I love drinking with friends and comparing tastes. Where are you from?

Originally Germany, but in San Jose California for the last 17 years :)

Nothing of note today, but over the weekend, I had a bunch of exceptional scotches:

Glendronach 21 Parliament

Glenfarclas 25

Highland Park 25

I find that my taste seems to run toward younger scotches in general. A lot of scotch that I've had both the younger and older expressions of, I like the younger expression- it is more vibrant, if that makes sense. Older than 18 years, the stuff tends to get very woody and the overall flavor becomes muted.

I wonder if that is due to my bourbon tastes, as I like very high proof, punchy bourbon:

Pappy 10 (107 pf)

George T. Stagg (130-140 pf)

Four Roses barrel select (105-120 pf)

William Larue Weller (130s pf)

Baker's (130 pf)

I really liked the Highland Park 25, so much so that I will get a bottle, but it drank like it was a lot stronger than your typical 80 proof stuff. But I am fine with Macallan 18, Dalmore, Glendronach, and other scotches at 80 proof.

Nothing of note today, but over the weekend, I had a bunch of exceptional scotches:

Glendronach 21 Parliament

Glenfarclas 25

Highland Park 25

I find that my taste seems to run toward younger scotches in general. A lot of scotch that I've had both the younger and older expressions of, I like the younger expression- it is more vibrant, if that makes sense. Older than 18 years, the stuff tends to get very woody and the overall flavor becomes muted.

I wonder if that is due to my bourbon tastes, as I like very high proof, punchy bourbon:

Pappy 10 (107 pf)

George T. Stagg (130-140 pf)

Four Roses barrel select (105-120 pf)

William Larue Weller (130s pf)

Baker's (130 pf)

I really liked the Highland Park 25, so much so that I will get a bottle, but it drank like it was a lot stronger than your typical 80 proof stuff. But I am fine with Macallan 18, Dalmore, Glendronach, and other scotches at 80 proof.

The Highland Park 25 is more than 80 proof, that is why.

So I am celebrating my birthday in a way only a proper whiskey hound should, by drinking my through it with good friends.

Suntory 1981 sherry finish

Yamazaki 18

Provanence Port Dundas Single Grain 33 year single grain whiskey cask strength distilled in 1978.

Hooker House Pinot Noir barrel finished Bourbon.

John J Bowman Virginia Bourbon

Four Roses Single Barrel OESO mash bill barrel strength Bourbon

Glenfiddich Age of Discovery 19 year Maderia cask

Glendronnach 15

And ended with Highland Park Freya 15 year

This could be a long day.

And

post-9940-0-19505400-1410496748_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-25139900-1410497082_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-97743100-1410497149_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-20489500-1410497179_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-28276100-1410497239_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-88550100-1410497698_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-60052200-1410497736_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-76193900-1410497824_thumb.jp

post-9940-0-29304800-1410497985_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Baker's bourbon, paired with an Opus X Double Robusto. Wonderful. The sweet, heavy bodied bourbon works great with the rich flavor of the Opus. This is not a typical Opus- has some coffee and chocolate notes, distinctly sweet.

Baker's bourbon, paired with an Opus X Double Robusto. Wonderful. The sweet, heavy bodied bourbon works great with the rich flavor of the Opus. This is not a typical Opus- has some coffee and chocolate notes, distinctly sweet.

Glenlivet the Guardians Chapter and an old La Flor de Cano Selectos.

bu9usa4e.jpg

Very impressed with the malt. The nose is amazingly sweet and fragrant with an excellently balanced taste. One for those who enjoy a honeyish and fruity profile. Mildly spicy on the finish but the delivery is certainly smooth.