So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

On 7/5/2023 at 5:27 PM, Ken Gargett said:

how recently was yours bottled? 

Was not bottle date on the back.  The back label had oxidation that I would guess is early 70's bottling.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

On 7/9/2023 at 3:22 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

Was not bottle date on the back.  The back label had oxidation that I would guess is early 70's bottling.

i have a very old one i got many years ago when they were still quite cheap. from 1864. but the label split and flaked and part fell off. not making this up. it split down the '1864' between 18 and 64. the 18 bit flaked off and was lost. good luck me ever convincing anyone it is not 1964. so the chances of selling it are gone. probably not a bad thing. 

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i have a very old one i got many years ago when they were still quite cheap. from 1864. but the label split and flaked and part fell off. not making this up. it split down the '1864' between 18 and 64. the 18 bit flaked off and was lost. good luck me ever convincing anyone it is not 1964. so the chances of selling it are gone. probably not a bad thing. 

If it were 1864, the bottle itself would've been early 20th century at latest.  Those bottles do have non-uniform look and odd tints some times.  The wine itself, that can be hard to tell the difference.  Madeira doesn't seem hard to fake beyond something like 1796 Barbeito.

On 7/10/2023 at 11:53 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

If it were 1864, the bottle itself would've been early 20th century at latest.  Those bottles do have non-uniform look and odd tints some times.  The wine itself, that can be hard to tell the difference.  Madeira doesn't seem hard to fake beyond something like 1796 Barbeito.

i do have the details somewhere. have to dig them out. from memory, more recent than that. but long time since i checked. 

10 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Had a 3 day weekend in the Hunter Valley with a couple of the Sydney FOH boys. Did a little shopping while I was up there.

so fuzz, you went to the hunter and bought port, sparkling and sweeties. you are such a tourist. that is like going to Burgundy and coming home with sherry. 

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

so fuzz, you went to the hunter and bought port, sparkling and sweeties. you are such a tourist. that is like going to Burgundy and coming home with sherry. 

I have plenty of HV shiraz and I'm not a big semillon drinker. But I am out of those tawny, sparkling and sweet wines. And I've been meaning to go back to Capercaillie for a number of years to get their Shimmering Chambourcin. So yeah, tourist.

So do they make cream sherry in Burgundy? Thanks for the advice! I'll let people know you gave me the recommendation.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Had a 3 day weekend in the Hunter Valley with a couple of the Sydney FOH boys. Did a little shopping while I was up there.

Those Peterson House sparkling wines...they are 'top notch' as we Australians are prone to say!

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Those Peterson House sparkling wines...they are 'top notch' as we Australians are prone to say!

Petersons, not Peterson House. Same family, but Peterson House focuses primarily on sparkling wine.

Petersons has 2 cellar doors, one on Mount View Rd (the original one), the other on Broke Rd. Which is really confusing for some people as Peterson House is also on Broke Rd.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 10:23 AM, Fuzz said:

I have plenty of HV shiraz and I'm not a big semillon drinker. But I am out of those tawny, sparkling and sweet wines. And I've been meaning to go back to Capercaillie for a number of years to get their Shimmering Chambourcin. So yeah, tourist.

So do they make cream sherry in Burgundy? Thanks for the advice! I'll let people know you gave me the recommendation.

i never mentioned cream. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had these before and they were a good inexpensive everyday wine. I believe our own @Ken Gargett did the review our LCBO used. Picked up 6 bottles as that was all at my local store but may get more elsewhere if I like them. 

IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_1300.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2023 at 9:42 PM, Lant63 said:

May have gone overboard

13 year Lagavulin?  Didn’t know that was a thing!  Is it a cask strength release?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up multiple bottles of each recently at around ~$40 each.  Very good prices that I could not resist.

haul 3-2024.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...