Boxpressed vs Round Cigars

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A 50 Cab of Round cigars is the most natural packaging for cigars known to mankind. Bring it back I say!

I really dont mind. A good cigar smokes great no matter of box pressed or round. No preference at all. Mind you I love 50 cabs but thats not because of its shape. Box pressed cigars can save rolling a

Never been a fan of the box press. Can't stand how some of these NCs are basically rectangular.

I vastly prefer a round cigar. A genuine soft box press is fine, but the sharp corners of some of the NCs is obnoxious.

Worse by far though is the "oval" press, like the San Lotino or Hererra Esteli Norteno. Worst idea ever. I love the Norteno blend but I hate smoking the cigar, the shape is just uncomfortable in the mouth and awkward in the hand.

• Like 1

I hate the box press. Just doesn't feel right in the hand, when you cut or punch it and most importantly, when you smoke it. I also think it is a bit of an RG cheat. You take a round, 50RG robusto, box press it and now you can market it as a 52/54RG cigar.

• Like 1

Clearly the trend in both Cubans and NCs has been away from cabs/unpressed to dress boxes and pressed--and in the case of NCs an extreme box press. What gives? Is this a general North American preference like larger ring gauge? Seems almost unanimous here against a box press. What's driving this trend?

A 50 Cab of Round cigars is the most natural packaging for cigars known to mankind. Bring it back I say! whip.gif

Truth! There's a reason I've gone crazy sourcing a replacement cab of SLR Serie A in the 50cab!

I can't get my head around why then don't just make it small yearly production of some 50 cabs.

• Like 1

Personal preference is for unpressed cigars out of cabinets. I do get a little thrill out of box-pressed dress box vintage cigars though.

Clearly the trend in both Cubans and NCs has been away from cabs/unpressed to dress boxes and pressed--and in the case of NCs an extreme box press. What gives? Is this a general North American preference like larger ring gauge? Seems almost unanimous here against a box press. What's driving this trend?

Well to some degree a dress box of 25 presents less sticker shock than a cab of 50. I would imagine that might be influencing the packaging shift.

In NC, I believe the extreme box press is more of a marketing thing.

For me a slight box press is no issue but the extreme cases are a bit silly.

I actually don't mind boxed press, haven't noticed them smoking any better or worse than a round cigar.

Of course,I'm not for some of those ironed impeccable box presses but the Padrons I enjoy along with the Oliva Melanio box press is really nice.

I really dont mind. A good cigar smokes great no matter of box pressed or round. No preference at all. Mind you I love 50 cabs but thats not because of its shape. Box pressed cigars can save rolling accidents sometimes.

• Like 2