What's your hangover cure?

After reading today's 24:24 post from Prez I have a feeling Di and Rob might need some recommendations.

My go to was to smash a gatorade before bed and an advil...leave another gatorade to chug in the middle of the night. In the morning advil...water...3 eggs and toast with some coffee. 

• Like 1

Don't...ever...stop. Then, no hangover! If you do stop, then I think there's a recent post in the watering hole about some Boli's that were stuffed with grandpa's stash. Try those maybe. 

• Haha 1

Before heading home, stuff your gob with a HSP (Halal Snack Pack). Fresh, crispy hot chips, topped with kebab meat (chicken, beef and lamb), melted cheese, then coated in the holy trinity of sauces (chili, garlic and barbecue).

1920px-Hspchips_(cropped).jpg.8af81d5c7b34f8039e279b27079da3fa.jpg

• Like 3

Sobriety. 

• Like 2

The Full Recovery Recipe

before bed:

• enormous glass(es) of water, your choice of munchies, ibuprofen, and four electrolyte capsules (i buy mine from Klean Athlete). I'm sure there are cheaper options out there, shop around.

morning:

• ice cold shower. like that scene from the beginning of apocalypse now. do not even think about touching that hot water handle.
  • 10 minutes of low-intensity exercise. just go walk or stumble around the neighborhood, preferably to the corner store.
  • ONE gatorade or sports drink of your choice (full sugar)
  • ONE protein shake
  • small serving of yogurt, granola, and your choice of fruit (i go for blueberries), mixed in a bowl.
  • caffeine of choice. I like a double espresso.
  • nicotine

after that routine, you will doubtless be seated on the porcelain goddess, requiring a second shower. you may now use hot water. shave. go about your day, consuming more water than normal. pray or beg for mercy.

Hair of the Dog

• preferably at the nearest bar that serves breakfast:
    • eggs your way, choice of meat, hashbrowns, caffeine of choice
    • vodka and 7up, splash of orange juice--a Screw Up, AKA the poor man's mimosa
    • repeat until satisfied
  • optional: water
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 99call said:

Fuzz.......!! This looks like a diorama  of the Somme. 

You have not lived until you tuck into one. Glorious!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fuzz said:

You have not lived until you tuck into one. Glorious!

Oh believe me. I have been waist high in the rotting cadavers of Saturday night fare of which you talk. My comment was just to admire the uniformity of the mess. Like so much barbed wire and mud.

16 minutes ago, vladdraq said:

2 chicks at the same time.

Di may have something to say about this one.

5 hours ago, 99call said:

Oh believe me. I have been waist high in the rotting cadavers of Saturday night fare of which you talk. My comment was just to admire the uniformity of the mess. Like so much barbed wire and mud.

Navigating a HSP is about as dangerous.

Several bottles of water + 1 aleve before bed. Wake up and have an overly aggressive breakfast sando...bacon, egg, cheese, hashbrown, and hot sauce on an everything bagel.

If this fails then have a vodka club and defer your hangover to later for another chance at recovery.

Ibuprofen/alka seltzer/gatorade for sure. 

My personal odd hangover tradition is I always crave something fishy/creamy when hung over. Tuna salad sandwich, bagels lox and cream cheese, and on NY day we often do caviar and creme fraiche. I think it must be the oily stuff I crave. 

I also almost always smoke a Punch DC when hungover at home. Like I somehow earned it. 

In reality, I am rarely hung over these days. I stick to light beer. If I mix stuff (couple beers, glass of wine, scotch) I am 100% always hurting the next day no matter what I do so I avoid that almost always! Almost. 

Unfortunately sobriety does seem to be the best way to avoid a hangover...

The most effective thing I've found is hydrating/electrolytes BEFORE drinking.  Actual name brand Pedialyte before drinking seems to work the best, and make it the liquid stuff, not the powder packets.  Drink a whole quart of that stuff before the alcohol hits your lips.  Then keep drinking water or Pedialyte/electrolytes while imbibing.  I've found that the payoff per quart is greater when consumed earlier in the evening than later.  

Make sure you eat dinner.  Sleep as much as you can.  Wake up and hydrate while making your bacon and eggs.  Good luck!

8 hours ago, MickVanWinkle said:

Take it from a retired pro…

This. It's like gatorade on steroids, only thing (besides continuing to drink) that I've had work for me consistently. 

10 hours ago, Dr vonPuffenberg said:

hydrating/electrolytes BEFORE drinking.  Actual name brand Pedialyte before drinking seems to work the best

I've also found that the name brand, non-powder packets, seem to be best when trying to get rid of a hangover. I've never actually tried to drink it BEFORE starting to drink though. Typically I'll do it before bed that night and also in the morning. Seems to work pretty well for me.