Best Coffee Pod? Best Coffee Pod Machines?

To many, Coffee pods are an anathema. I felt the same way for years but you can't deny their utility for a quick "good" coffee in the am. The problem  I have is that I have yet to try a Nespresso pod that I like.The only ones I really rate are Illy. 

So I am in need of two machines. Once for work (5-8 people) and one for home (2). 

There are no need for those who love stove top/french press/ground coffee/instant coffee to support their favourite style of brew. I get it. 

What I am looking for is information on those who have explored the world of pods. 

Let us know the best in terms of pods and machines. Let us know what you would have dine differently if starting again. 

I am an absolute coffee fiend and even I turned my nose up to nespresso machines when they first arrived however I've since given in and purchased one for the gallery.  I almost exclusively use Illy pods an buy them in bulk online.  My advice would be to stay away from Keurig and any copycat style machines.  The Nespresso Classic or the newer larger pods are all good enough for what you're looking for and my co-workers don't complain at all.

• Like 2

As someone who has been using coffee pods for awhile, I used the DeLonghi Gran Lattissima for years...

4947.jpg.b171bea557b632abc61ad0fcb715bbad.jpg

For Nespresso Pods, I have now migrated to the top-of-the-line machine, the Breville Creatista Pro...

e07a946f8394ec76bd4610ddc4e1d2bfdcaca8e7_Breville_BNE900BTR_Coffee_Machine_Hero_1.jpg.12a3356c9e45dc065d04e4f88c381e32.jpg

@Fuzz would say to stay away from Nespresso's propriety Vertuo product/s. I would be inclined to agree.

The price for that Breville Creatista Pro varies in Australia. You can get a good deal for under $AU1000, like I did by looking at retailers like JB Hi-Fi and checking out Amazon AU online.

• Like 2

Kuerig works just fine for me.  Caribou pods for every day make a decent cup and I use the mesh fill them myself pods to use the ground Honduran coffee I like so much. The commercial Kuerig machine we use at the office has been a work horse with a variety of coffees and teas to suit everyone. We’ve had no complaints. 

In my line of work there is a saying we knock around a lot:  measure twice, cut once.  Suppose I could also use this advice when responding to threads: read twice, answer once 😜

I defaulted to the assumption that you were looking for a good espresso shot. Keurig and other machines can produce a good straightforward cup of coffee but the brand of coffee definitely needs to be considered. While Nespresso machines can give you a "cup of coffee" it tends to be a let down and we only use the machines at work to overdose on espressos. I will agree that the Nespresso Vertuo line (forgot what it was called) is their attempt at doing the Keurig thing, we had two machines that crapped out on us in less than a year. With that in mind I would not recommend those style of machines.

11 hours ago, MC4 said:

Peet's Major Dickason's Blend for Keurig is the best for me.

I enjoy that blend as well as their French Roast. Years ago, Tully's French Roast was my fave but the blend has significantly changed and now it's meh, at best.

I have toyed with the idea of trying the Nespresso, but I'm the only one in my house that drinks coffee. It just doesn't seem worth the expense. I have my Aeropress for days I really want to treat myself. 

K-pods for sure, at least in USA. Caffe Bustelo is solid and my everyday, Illy and Lavazza options are available for traditionalists. I almost always use the 'small' setting with good effect, even with Folgers, McCafe, Starbucks etc. I often find the 12pks for $3 closeout, but beggars can't be choosers. 

That being said, use clean water. I've burned thru at least three machines over the last 5 years not using filtered water and having the boilers gunk up over time. Vinegar flushes only work so well as a fix. I'd definitely look at getting one plumbed in with filters for office use, more initial overhead but probably better in the long run once you put pen to paper, especially if you already have a filter system in place.

I use Nespresso if I am going to make a latte and I use the Creatista Pro. If I am going to have just an espresso shot the illy is the best without the overwhelming bitterness. Otherwise I like the Nespresso Roma and Venezia. The Italian ones tend to lean towards a creamy character.  IMG_1156.jpeg.2eec10f8fa8ab88aec5c25d3df23255b.jpeg

Pretty simple if you like black coffee at home. Small and compact....perfect espresso or black coffee every time . The new dharkan range is soooo delicious.  

20240212_140819.jpg.4fcf994da31ad46a393515aed50846b3.jpg

20240212_112644.jpg.568c1f019eaa7186aca38f14645c973a.jpg

20240212_141203.jpg.e645ded10991e3bdb01b763ed1563574.jpg

• Like 1

Honestly those pod machines are great to shove in your office for a quick fix or something, but regular use for 6-8 people I'd be researching an automatic machine that had a bean hopper. The nespresso machines fail in no time if they’re being run 20 times a day and the pods add up fast. Australian economics are pretty similar to Canada so I would imagine they’re $1/pod or so there as well. 8 people at 2 cups a day for pods or a few bags of beans a month? As an example my wife and I burn through $80 or so a week in pods compared to maybe $25/month in beans when I used a French press 😂 

My experience of pod machines is little and crap. We have had av compact Lavazza A Modo Mio Deséa for about 6 months and barely use it. One touch. Lukewarm to hot. Crap range of coffee pods (we've tried about 5 of their range.)  It does make espressos, frothy milky things, more water. But very limited because of its pods. Not popular from what I can see. Avoid. Regardless of 4-5* reviews.

image.png.23016879d5ef21d89c4bb4276df504db.png

• Like 1

I have 8000 or so servings from my Jura. Far and away the best coffee I have ever had. I mix an espresso and Kona blend coffee and the machine does the rest.

I have only occasionally used (swill) pod coffee. Maybe I am missing something. But if I cannot smoke good cigars I won’t smoke. Same for coffee!

Super automatic coffee machines make great coffee. I will go without otherwise.

• Like 2

I have an espresso and pour over at home, but for most of my coffee I use the Keurigs at work. There’s a ton of pod choices but I mostly use a reusable cup that I can fill with my own beans. I buy whole beans from local roasters, grind it up and fill my pod. It fits into the Keurig and the coffee is

- much better quality 

- supporting local business

- reducing single use waste

this has become my favorite method for brewing as its super easy, cheap, and a lot of fun to explore the different roasts available locally!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chitmo said:

Honestly those pod machines are great to shove in your office for a quick fix or something, but regular use for 6-8 people I'd be researching an automatic machine that had a bean hopper. The nespresso machines fail in no time if they’re being run 20 times a day and the pods add up fast. Australian economics are pretty similar to Canada so I would imagine they’re $1/pod or so there as well. 8 people at 2 cups a day for pods or a few bags of beans a month? As an example my wife and I burn through $80 or so a week in pods compared to maybe $25/month in beans when I used a French press 😂 

I disagree there. Nespresso machines can last the distance if properly looked after. I only just retired my Delonghi Essenza EN90 after nearly 20 years of service, and that's only because it was too expensive to repair on internal leak. At its peak, it was making 15 cups a day. Last few years I was on a $50 subscription plan with Nespresso that gave me $60 of credit per month and free delivery. As my personal office machine, it was making 15-20 cups a week before it was retired for a L'Or Barista (got that free when I bought $80 worth of coffee pods). And at least with the pods, you can change pods without having to empty a hopper. Maybe somebody wants decaf, or finds the beans too weak/strong for their liking. I collect my pods and take them back to Nespresso for recycling.... even though they are not Nespresso brand pods!

Ok, yeah it is probably cheaper to run a fully automatic machine with beans, but depending on how often the machine is used, the beans may go stale/rancid. When I moved the Essenza to my office, I bought a Delonghi PrimaDonna S Deluxe super automatic as my home machine. That worked great until it started leaking and the milk frother had to be replaced 3 times within its 9 year life. Eventually gave up on it and bought a Breville Oracle Touch. Still use the same beans, but the coffee tastes better in the Breville than it did in the Delonghi. Though, I find I am using a lot more beans with the same number of cups made. The Delonghi super automatic pucks were a lot lighter than the Breville portafilter pucks.

Mine is a Nespresso Vertuo by De’Longhi - I love it. I drink espresso based drinks so it’s pretty convenient. Also with my morning routine (dog, baby) it’s nice to press a button and walk away. One day I’ll get into the ritual routine. For now it’s pods.

I have 8000 or so servings from my Jura. Far and away the best coffee I have ever had. I mix an espresso and Kona blend coffee and the machine does the rest.
I have only occasionally used (swill) pod coffee. Maybe I am missing something. But if I cannot smoke good cigars I won’t smoke. Same for coffee!
Super automatic coffee machines make great coffee. I will go without otherwise.

Totally agree. Just under 25,000 on my Jura when I gave it to my daughter and got another one after having the first one for over 20 years. Would never be without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk