MoeFOH's Album of the Week... Week #46

MoeFOH's Album of the Week 🎶

Same as the movie thread, each week we're going to spotlight an album... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite tracks, clips, lyrics, experiences if you saw live, etc... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's an album you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #46: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap is the third studio album by Australian hard rock band AC/DC, originally released only in Europe and Australia in 1976. The album was not released in the United States until 1981, more than one year after lead singer Bon Scott's death. This was also AC/DC's first album in its entirety to be recorded with the same lineup, rather than including at least one track recorded with a different bassist or drummer.

Background:
AC/DC began recording Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap in December 1975 at Albert Studios with Harry Vanda and George Young (elder brother of guitarists Malcolm and Angus) producing. In April 1976, the band went on their first tour of the UK, where "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" was released as a single. According to the book AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll, Vanda and Young travelled to the UK to record several songs with the band at Vineland Studios for a scheduled EP, which was eventually scrapped. "Carry Me Home" later appeared in 1977 as a B-side to "Dog Eat Dog", while "Dirty Eyes" remained unreleased and was later reworked into "Whole Lotta Rosie" for 1977's Let There Be Rock. Only "Love at First Feel" was used for Dirty Deeds, but not for the Australian release. A song titled "I'm a Rebel" was recorded at Maschener Studios as well, with music and lyrics written by another elder Young brother, Alex Young. This song was never released by AC/DC, and remains in Albert Productions' vaults. German band Accept later released it as a single, and named their second album after it. High Voltage was released in the United States in 1976. However, hampered by visa problems and a lack of interest from Atlantic Records in the US, the band returned to Australia to finish their third album.

Also according to AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll, years later, Stephen King convinced the band to do the soundtrack for his film Maximum Overdrive (the soundtrack released as Who Made Who) by putting "Ain't No Fun" on the record player and singing along to the entire song line-for-line in order to prove how much of a fan he was of their music.

Over to you...

How do you rate it? 🤔

Thoughts, experiences, memories... post em' up! :yes:

Score it out of 10!  :perfect10:

6 minutes ago, Tunkat92 said:

I love it at times, but then I end up feeling like most of the tracks sound the same. Nonetheless, I rarely skip over any of this album. 7/10

glad someone else thinks that. the same. certainly enjoy it but it is a bit like the same song played over and over. 

• Like 1

Never been much of an ACDC fan but I have a soft spot for this cover of Thunder.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

'Cover' bands in Australia tend to have similar repertoires. It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) is one song that tends to feature in a lot of sets in Australian Cover bands.

Aussie cover bands have bagpipes?  Who knew?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Aussie cover bands have bagpipes?  Who knew?

Haha...good point. The Covid era changed live shows in pubs and hotels of recent times, but prior to this, when I was playing somewhat regularly, we had a guy do that part on a keyboard. It's amazing how one can replicate that bagpipe sound using modern technology!

• Like 2