the pineapple

Looks fab, Ken! We (resp. kiddos) once grew one on the window bench from a cutoff sprout (the green bit) from a fruit. They tend to grow roots quickly. Two plants, one flowered second or third year. The fruit remained tiny but delish much to our surprise.

Wishing you a quick recovery from that pesky virus! 🤜

thanks guys. i can report that the pineapple lived up to all expectations. i did think of going fancy with it but i thought that simplicity might be better. part two tonight. i was amazed at how well it finally grew. the top has been replanted. stand by for the next pineapple hopefully before the end of the decade. 

• Haha 1

As a guy who worked for Maui Pineapple Company for 20 years, I definitely agree with others that your pineapple is a thing to behold.

Here’s a tip for replanting the top: Let it sit unplanted for 3-4 weeks, it will start to dry out a bit and look a bit shriveled, then just when you’re starting to lose hope and utter my name in vain because it looks like a lost cause, gently peel away a few of the smallest leaves at the base, and you will see....developing roots. Now it’s ready for soil and water.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

As a guy who worked for Maui Pineapple Company for 20 years, I definitely agree with others that your pineapple is a thing to behold.

Here’s a tip for replanting the top: Let it sit unplanted for 3-4 weeks, it will start to dry out a bit and look a bit shriveled, then just when you’re starting to lose hope and utter my name in vain because it looks like a lost cause, gently peel away a few of the smallest leaves at the base, and you will see....developing roots. Now it’s ready for soil and water.

many thanks. what a good tip. 

You know what would go perfect with that pineapple?  

A crisp tart Sauvignon Blanc, perhaps a Kia Ora Signature.  Trust me, you'll thank me later, perhaps not publicly.  

It's okay though, I'm fine if you need to save your image.  

1 minute ago, Kitchen said:

You know what would go perfect with that pineapple?  

A crisp tart Sauvignon Blanc, perhaps a Kia Ora Signature.  Trust me, you'll thank me later, perhaps not publicly.  

It's okay though, I'm fine if you need to save your image.  

none and buckleys. 

22 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

none and buckleys. 

Buckleys?  Is that similar to Buc-ees?

IMG_2988-1-400x255.jpg.30369dcde1995afaf6128f4908655f1b.jpg

21 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Honestly, this might be the most helpful and topical post Ive ever seen on this forum

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Honestly, this might be the most helpful and topical post Ive ever seen on this forum

When it comes to vaguely useful skills, I’m a walking encyclopedia, heh heh. How to remove a cat that’s stuck to your trousers, how to knock a screeching smoke detector off your ceiling in the middle of the night...well, that one’s actually useful.

At Maui Pine, we would always have piles of crowns or slips (planting material) sitting in bins or on the ground for weeks before using them. Of course they had been dipped in fungicide, which helps fend off rott, but it’s not a necessity, as long as they don’t get wet while sitting/curing.

I found a pretty good photo of what you’d typically see after several weeks:

A5838FCB-88D5-43EE-BAE4-72E14D608549.png.5f9535cdd6db692e8398c2f28fe91a91.png

Many online tutorials will tell you to now stick the top in a jar of water to promote root growth further before planting, but that’s unnecessary - this is good to plant as is.

5 hours ago, Islandboy said:

When it comes to vaguely useful skills, I’m a walking encyclopedia, heh heh. How to remove a cat that’s stuck to your trousers, how to knock a screeching smoke detector off your ceiling in the middle of the night...well, that one’s actually useful.

At Maui Pine, we would always have piles of crowns or slips (planting material) sitting in bins or on the ground for weeks before using them. Of course they had been dipped in fungicide, which helps fend off rott, but it’s not a necessity, as long as they don’t get wet while sitting/curing.

I found a pretty good photo of what you’d typically see after several weeks:

Many online tutorials will tell you to now stick the top in a jar of water to promote root growth further before planting, but that’s unnecessary - this is good to plant as is.

Just what are the odds of that post and a guy who used to work at ML&P being here to comment 😂