Deep Dive: Vegas Robaina Unicos

El Presidente

Vegas Robaina Unicos   

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vegas Robaina Unicos 

Vegas Robaina Unicos is indelibly etched in my mind when I reach for one. I can still recall the first time I smoked a Unicos and was presented with a cigar version of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut milk chocolate bar. 

Now subsequent Unicos have not always reached those high standards but by God they have enough times to keep me going back. 

Let's talk Vegas Robaina Unicos 

• Do you like the Vegas Robaina Unicos 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a San Cristobal La Fuerza ?
  • Discuss and do the poll!

Vegas Robaina Unicos  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

Vegas Robaina Unicos HQ JAN 19.jpg

• Like 1

A very "nice" cigar. Much more appealing to many than the Famosos. Not as bold and a little more milk chocolate and cream than the Famosos. It just lilts a little too much away from medium for me and unfortunately I don't think it makes up for it in richness or complexity. Similar relationship to the Edmundos and Petit Edmundos. 

• Like 1

Always preferred the parejo formats over the Unicos. Not fully sure as to why. It’s not at all a bad cigar. Simply not reaching for them. But I think I get more concentrated flavours, more evolution, more nuance and focus from the Familiar and in particular the Clásicos.

I’ve only had about eight of them, and experiences have varied widely.  When I got my first (in Cuba) it was my first full on experience of nuttiness in a cigar.  (I can still remember where I was sitting in the courtyard of the home in Trinidad when I smoked it with some Ron de Santiago, the experience was so striking.)  

That same box has morphed into greater richness and complexity, though (as that suggests) I don’t have the experience to speak on it in depth.  …Other than the fact that every one I have lit has been “wow” in its own way.  I’m thinking greaterage could bring even more, though I welcome learning more from all y’all’s experiences from this “deep dive.”

This is the best production Piramides.  The first few years after they came out, not so much.  For a long time now they are just have that little extra in flavor and body the others do not. 

I like all the Piramides offered, FWIW.

• Like 3

I smoked one from a prize I got from our good host here. These will be on my radar. It was a medium bodied and enjoyable smoke ,with enough complexity to keep me interested. 

Like SCgarman said, “unique prune flavor”. The only cigar I can say has a “prune flavor”. I love this cigar and it is unique. Love it at 2-3 years of age. You really need to plan your purchases, not buying for the now, but buying for the future. 

This is maybe the one marca where I really want dark wrappers. For me that brings out the sweet fruit and exotic wood character that is unique to VR. It’s a brilliant blend, truly distinctive and not just one note, but proper complexity. I don’t want it every day, but what a fine addition to the catalogue.

• Like 4

This is my favorite cigar. I have had many boxes over the years. Some I smoked thorough rather quickly others I let rest and smoked more leisurely. The current box I pull from is just over 4 years old, and I must say they are delicious! Although, the price has gone up considerably recently, this is the one cigar I have to keep stocked at all times.

• Like 3

On 9/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, RDB said:

This is maybe the one marca where I really want dark wrappers. For me that brings out the sweet fruit and exotic wood character that is unique to VR. It’s a brilliant blend, truly distinctive and not just one note, but proper complexity. I don’t want it every day, but what a fine addition to the catalogue.

I've only smoked a box and a 5'er that I traded with a friend. For me, the 5 that  I got in a trade had very light wrappers and I enjoyed them much better than the box of darker ones I smoked through. One of them was probably in the top 10 cigars  I've  ever smoked. I believe they had around 5 years of age on them. Cigar smoking is such a subjective experience and that's why you can't really tell someone else what they will like. Just suggest some ideas of what worked for you. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sw15825 said:

I've only smoked a box and a 5'er that I traded with a friend. For me, the 5 that  I got in a trade had very light wrappers and I enjoyed them much better than the box of darker ones I smoked through. One of them was probably in the top 10 cigars  I've  ever smoked. I believe they had around 5 years of age on them. Cigar smoking is such a subjective experience and that's why you can't really tell someone else what they will like. Just suggest some ideas of what worked for you. 

Thanks for that! I have a box from 2020 that I promised myself that I wouldn't open 'til 2023. Good Info!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have enjoyed almost all of my experiences with this cigar. Our friend @Tampa1257 shared a couple of these with me sometime in 2007 or 2008, I smoked one when he handed them to me and the other in 2019, I reviewed it here (LINK TO REVIEW). The first one I had I believe had a couple of years on it, and the one I smoked in 2019 was fantastic experience, it's all in the review. 

I have picked up some more since then and consistently find this cigar with flavors very much like dessert. A creme brûlée note, syrup or molasses, berries, sweet cream and spices. 

I was told by someone that they thought the blend changed in the 2012 or 2013 time frame, but I don't have enough experience with this one to be able to note that myself. I can say for sure the one I smoked in 2019 with more than 10 years of age was VERY rich with flavors, but that doesn't mean the recent examples I have tried wouldn't have been that way after some time. 

My favorite pyramid is probably the Upmann 2 or PSP2, with this one being a 3rd place to the other 2. 

This cigar is still a fantastic one and worth having in the rotation. 

• 11 months later...