Petacas--is it just me?

I've reached the point where I have to find out if I'm experiencing confirmation bias or some other psychological phenomenon when it comes to cigars in petacas.

We'll say since 2001 I have almost always found cigars in petacas deliver a worse experience than the DB/cab version. To be fair I actually prefer non-box pressed cigars so I'm somewhat predisposed to like petaca versions. 

Of course some in petacas are perfectly good. But I would say probably only about 10% of the time they are the same or better than the DB/cab version. The issues I have are consistency and flavor, not really performance. The petacas always seem to just be off. All other variables have been controlled so it's nothing to do with storage, sourcing etc. 

Obviously this really doesn't make sense but anyone else experience this? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I've reached the point where I have to find out if I'm experiencing confirmation bias or some other psychological phenomenon when it comes to cigars in petacas.

We'll say since 2001 I have almost always found cigars in petacas deliver a worse experience than the DB/cab version. To be fair I actually prefer non-box pressed cigars so I'm somewhat predisposed to like petaca versions. 

Of course some in petacas are perfectly good. But I would say probably only about 10% of the time they are the same or better than the DB/cab version. The issues I have are consistency and flavor, not really performance. The petacas always seem to just be off. All other variables have been controlled so it's nothing to do with storage, sourcing etc. 

Obviously this really doesn't make sense but anyone else experience this? 

I agree for the most part and this is based on zero scientific research.  I won’t buy 5 packs/3 packs because I’m convinced they always taste like cardboard.  The only exception is tubos.  A 15 pack of Sig VI tubos I’ve never had an issue.  That’s the only exception, and I always remove the cigars for storage.

• Like 1

I have a few right now from C/P's. I always remove and put in empty SLB. I do not seek them out but if great deal I will pull the trigger. Agree with NSX. Just always seem a little off. Ive had some that were better with age in a cab but for most part they seem a notch below other presentations

• Like 1

I've purchased a pile of Petacas over the past few years as that's where a ton of value has been found on the grey market.  Can't say they've smoked worse that SLB/Dress over the years, but the lesser quality in terms of wrapper quality/consistency thru the box + typically more foot damage is always on my mind.

All things equal, I'll obvi take a SLB/Dress box, but the one weird exception is something like El Laguito Monte Eddies (always near top of the MC food chain), which typically are only found in the Petaca format.

• Like 3

On 8/30/2022 at 1:48 PM, JohnS said:

Now, I would opine that the greater majority of Habanos vitolas benefit from their normal packaging with cedar sheets, wax paper etc.

I thought this might be an issue however I have found it to be the case with both brand new petacas that haven't even sat in the c/p for more than 6 mos and I have also placed cigars from petacas into the traditional packaging for extended periods of time (years). Of course I have also let cigars from petacas sit loose in the humidor for years and neither has produced different results. 

In regards to your experience with the Hoyo Epi 2 15s yes, I obviously have also had cigars from petacas that were excellent. Those are just the vast minority for me. 

On 8/30/2022 at 3:41 PM, Tstew75 said:

I've purchased a pile of Petacas over the past few years as that's where a ton of value has been found on the grey market. 

Why do you think I keep buying them? :rotfl:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tstew75 said:

haha no doubt

but it's obvious they throw alot of ugly duckling cigars into the cardboard...outta sight, outta mind lol

I absolutely concur that the wrapper quality and color consistency is much worse in the petacas. I've seen a rainbow of wrappers inside of one petaca. I don't think that is a significant part of the flavor aberrations I experience however.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vladdraq said:

I tend to agree with everyone, not sure what a "petaca" si though. The Aluminum tube?  🙂

Cardboard boxes. "Petaca" technically translates to "flask" but the less literal translation is like a pocket sized something. A cardboard 3 pack is easy to tuck in a breast pocket, just like a flask. 

Some of the best cigars I've ever smoked where from a 2005 5x3 of Monte No 2s. I got it in 2008 and they where 95 plus pointers then, I still have two left waiting for a very special occasion. 

But, in General, I have not noticed a constant/regular difference in quality between petacas and boxes. I havent noticed a huge difference between tubos and noe tubed versions of cigars either. 

They decide what goes in what packaging based on the packaging they have that day. No one in Cuba is taking the time to sort through and pull out all the ugly ones to sit in the QC room for a couple weeks while they wait for carboard boxes. We get spoiled by Rob sorting out the crap for us, but its out there, in droves, regardless of packing type. 

• Like 4

I don’t smoke a lot of these. However I have gotten a lot of 3x packs for HdM PRs in 3x cardboard. The cigars themselves are generally better than what I have found in box form.

Strike this up as anecdotal. It is the only real comparison that I happen to remember.

I did once buy up 150 or so Siglo 3s in CB. They were nothing to speak of. As that is my general view of Cohibas, I cannot say that the CB variant was or was not the cause.

-Piggy

• Like 2

I’m definitely in the camp of petacas being the least desirable packaging - hell, I’m still waiting for a few 3+ year old Esplendidos individually boxed in cardboard to start tasting like something other than...let's just keep it clean and say cardboard. 

Plus this packaging seems to provide an environment that attracts mold more often. Probably because cardboard wicks moisture more easily. Not a fan.

• Like 3

Monte 4s, Cohiba Robusto, any of the DutyFree mass produced product is where I’ve seen the biggest quantity of drabness.   1 in 5 are good otherwise they taste like bad boxes I might get.  Maybe they don’t wait for cardboard and we are giving too much credit.  On the other hand, maybe we aren’t giving enough.  

• Like 2

Do not have the breadth of experience with them that others do, but two Monte 4 BEO July 16 5x5 boxes I bought last March were really good. I left them in the petacas until I was ready to smoke them, Some were gifted out, most of them I smoked. They were so good I kept reaching for them. Bought two more Monte 4 5x5's- UGR Mar 21. Pulled one box out and put in a cedar tray in a humidor. Left the other ones in the petacas. I've sampled a few of the ones I pulled out. They are ok but still need a little more rest in my opinion. I'll keep sampling along and see how they go. If and when they get ready to be everyday smokes I'll pull out one of the petacas and compare. Based on that I'll figure out what to do with other 5x5. 

• Like 1

I don’t like pectatas. Cardboard makes for lousy cigar storage, imho.

• Like 2

Everyone complaining about cardboard being bad for long term storage has completely missed the plot. Of course it is, which is why Habanos didn't plan this packaging for that. They're designed, sized and named to be purchased on the go and consumed relatively quickly. Its like complaining that the single serve plastic wine bottles on airplanes are bad for aging wine. Yeah, duh. 

• Thanks 1

I'm on the opposite side of things.  I've found Petacas to be instrumental in enhancing the flavors.   There's a documentary that's shows Petaca boxes being made in Cuba. Cubas paper industry is a "pure" as it gets   with no access to the chemicals used by the industry in general.  Their paper is somewhat organic and cellulose laden.  That cellulose breaks down and releases sugars which in turn get absorbed by the cigars inside.  I've had Siglo II's, Trinidad Reyes and Coloniales that to my palate, exceeded the performance of the ones in cabinets or boxes.  I dont remember who I was having the conversation with in Havana.  I recall Nino and Jose.  It's also explains why so many farms rolls wrapped on Granmas  have sweet wrappers.   But.  This are only my observations.  I can't say with 100% certainty that all Petacas do this.  The downside is that they are more susceptible to mold, which lends credence to the theory that the paper braking down releases cellulose sugar and additional moisture

Every time I pull a cigar out of a petaca the cold aroma is intoxicating 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Puros Y Vino said:

I'm on the opposite side of things.  I've found Petacas to be instrumental in enhancing the flavors.   There's a documentary that's shows Petaca boxes being made in Cuba. Cubas paper industry is a "pure" as it gets   with no access to the chemicals used by the industry in general.  Their paper is somewhat organic and cellulose laden.  That cellulose breaks down and releases sugars which in turn get absorbed by the cigars inside.  I've had Siglo II's, Trinidad Reyes and Coloniales that to my palate, exceeded the performance of the ones in cabinets or boxes.  I dont remember who I was having the conversation with in Havana.  I recall Nino and Jose.  It's also explains why so many farms rolls wrapped on Granmas  have sweet wrappers.   But.  This are only my observations.  I can't say with 100% certainty that all Petacas do this.  The downside is that they are more susceptible to mold, which lends credence to the theory that the paper braking down releases cellulose sugar and additional moisture

Every time I pull a cigar out of a petaca the cold aroma is intoxicating 

So Cuba makes the cardboard boxes in country for cigars, but imports the aluminum tubes and the plywood for SLB and SBN cigar boxes? 

I really don't think it's the cardboard imparting or removing anything. I've had ones with less than 6 months in the cardboard and I've removed cigars in petacas to lie loose in the humi for years and still no difference. 

There's really no logical reason for the difference as the cigars are all coming from the same tables. I'm just trying to figure out if this a psychological issue or anyone else has also consistently experienced cigars from petacas being "off".