MoeFOH's Movie of the Week... Week #23...

MoeFOH's Movie of the Week 🎥

Each week we're going to spotlight a movie... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite quotes, clips, memories... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's a movie you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #23: Escape From New York

Moe says: simple intro... this one occupies a spot in the very coveted personal collection entitled The Kurt Russell Golden Triangle. For me, it sits comfortably alongside Big Trouble in Little China, and the The Thing. Enough said.

One wee addendum: DO NOT under any circumstances watch its "LA" sequel... unless of course you are after some train wreck type of entertainment... especially some of the best early example of disastrous CGI. :D

Over to you...

How do you rate it? Favourite scenes?

Best moments?... etc, and so on... post 'em up!!

Give us your score out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 1

Terribly awesome. Kurt Russel was great,  but nowhere near as good as Tombstone, but that's a horse of a different color. 

Love the beaver pelt hairdoo on Adrienne Barbeau's head too.

Watch it each time it's on. Easy 8/10 for me.

Cheers

50 minutes ago, riderpride said:

Terribly awesome. Kurt Russel was great,  but nowhere near as good as Tombstone, but that's a horse of a different color. 

Love the beaver pelt hairdoo on Adrienne Barbeau's head too.

Watch it each time it's on. Easy 8/10 for me.

Cheers

I dont know.  If we're talking Kurt Russel, I think I have to go with Big Trouble in Little China.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kitchen said:

I dont know.  If we're talking Kurt Russel, I think I have to go with Big Trouble in Little China.  

I always thought he was doing a tongue-in-cheek impression of the Duke to mock the old draft-dodger.

Good movie though!

*Glad this one came up. I call this, along with a few others the "Disillusioned Hero Movies."  My definition of these types of films was solidified by "Under Siege". I only live for the near-to-the-end scene when Stephen Segal and Tommy Lee Jones are having their end dialog. And Segal says to Jones, "We both serve the same master: and he's a lunatic and he's ungrateful!" How many of us have experienced that same thing in our jobs where we were trying to "make a difference"!? Snake Plissken was obviously a conscientious, devoted worker in his government and no doubt experienced the corruption and sell-out that so many other devoted, naive, innocent "new hires" have gone through in their jobs. Just consider the Robert Rodriguez Machete movies. In "Machete Kills" the real nut case dude in there - Mendez - is a total nut. Originally, he was an undercover agent for the Mexican government's anti-drug cartel. But it turned out his government was in ca-hoots with the cartels and they ratted Mendez out. The cartel (along with his commanding officer) brought Mendez's wife and small daughter out to him. They made him watch them beat, torture, then kill his wife and daughter. That was when Mendez went all the way 600 kinds of ways nuts! Among his mental ailments was multifple personalities. Sometimes he would return to his rational, sane self and recall, "My wife and little girl were slaughtered because I served a system that didn't exist." No doubt Snake Plissken went to the bad guy side because the straight arrow, true blue system he thought was employing him 'didn't exist'. An 8 out of 10 rating for me for this movie.

Oof, this movie.  So bad, so very bad.  I like plenty of bad movies but this one just isn't clever enough.  At least Escape From LA was a lot more tongue in cheek.  I can't believe that there's love or even like for this one.  2/10

It's not on the same planet as The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, or Tombstone for Kurt Russel movies.

One of the greatest action heroes, Kurt Russell. A favorite of mine when I was a kid, and still to this day. Escape from NY was so fun to watch as a kid, and still holds up today! I think Tombstone is his greatest work, but not just the acting. Everything he did behind the scenes to make that movie happen. If you’re not familiar, research it. The credited director of Tombstone, George P Cosmatos, was flailing. Russell took over, but he didn’t want word getting out. He vowed he would never say anything as long as Cosmatos was alive, and he didn’t. Even after Cosmatos died, it was Val, not Kurt, who revealed it. Kurt might’ve taken it to his grave. He directed, re-wrote scenes along with Val, and even took a huge pay cut to keep many other cast members on board. He gave himself less screen time so that other performers could shine, and he served as a cheerleader, keeping morale up on set. Because of his motivation, many of the actors even agreed to diminished pay in order to complete it. The film was a total mess. Kurt Russell, a true Wyatt Earp, saved it. Love his work, and I will watch anything he does.

• Like 1

Huge Kurt Russell fan, but never saw this one. Was before my time, I’ll have to remember it. Watch pretty much anything he’s in and it’s always great. Miracle, Captain Ron, Backdraft, he even plays Santa Claus in a Netflix movie that my kids love and he’s actually pretty good in it (as good as it can be!) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone keeps saying Big Trouble and that one is great ,but for me ,Captain Ron !!🤣

The Escape movies are fun. Snake Pliskin is a bad ass. It's not all that high on my list of all time greats. 7/10