Deep Dive: Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2

El Presidente

Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2   

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deep Dive: Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2 

I tear up when I think of my beloved Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2. Tears of happiness and appreciation :D

The JLS2 is my workhorse Robusto.  I rarely experience a bad one, most rate 90-92 point cigars thereabouts. However they are one of the few Robusto's capable of reaching the Cohiba Robusto  extreme levels of honeyed goodness. I regularly achieve 94-96 point Juan Lopez 2's. They age a dream but even young they deliver in a different way. 

Let's talk Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2 

• Do you like the Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2 
  • Discuss and do the poll!

Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2 :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

•  

I do love the JL2 but I can’t seem to hide them so they don’t last. Would love to see how they are past 5 yr mark.  They don’t disappoint 

Since around 2012 JL S1/2 have been an in-your-face type cigar. Bold and direct. I think Rob's description is pretty good: black coffee/espresso core with some citrus notes. Punchy but not overly strong. 

It's a very simple formula that many really like. Very similar in approach to the Famosos. Personally I'm not enamored with the blend but that's just personal preference. They are a cigar I would consider to be for experienced smokers.

If they could really dial up the quality and really balance out the blend I think the brand could be a star. I've heard very good things about most of the JL ERs so perhaps we'll get something a step up from the S1/S2. The new Seleccion Especial I've heard are excellent. 

• Like 3

Would probably put this fourth behind the Connie 1, BRC, and VR Famoso. Can bring a real slap in the face in the first couple years. Somewhat inconsistent, consistently. They tend to range from nutty and smooth, to sometimes woodsy with a bite, and everywhere in between. I don’t really get the orange notes. I prefer lighter wrappers I tend to get more of the medium bodied nutty flavors from those. 3-8 years is good. Beyond that I don’t have much experience. I enjoy them

2 hours ago, Cairo said:

That is what you want--if you get it you have a winner.    Not all JL2s have it.

I agree. The best JL2 with some age have a lovely medley with those flavors. But some can be quite one dimensional.

• Like 3

My fav go-to cigar and have tried quite a few but not with much age on them. I think there is a difference between dark shiny rosado PSP wrappers and lighter matt wrappers. I think the PSP show bigger flavours and more chance of the fruitiness that can come through. I'm happy to smoke them ROTT and enjoy the first half just with sparkling water then I do for a stout and coffee... or a coffee stout. I find they work well with Cherry Stouts as well. Would love to try a 3yo PSP but they don't last 6 months. Haha!

This is the real stalwart of the cuban portfolio. Ideal twang, beautiful citrus and tobacco--matched really only by the old LGCs in the citrus and twang department.

Hoping you bury this poll after so this and the JL1 can stay moderate secrets to the rest of the world and I can continue hoarding them. 

1 hour ago, jakebarnes said:

This is the real stalwart of the cuban portfolio. Ideal twang, beautiful citrus and tobacco--matched really only by the old LGCs in the citrus and twang department.

Hoping you bury this poll after so this and the JL1 can stay moderate secrets to the rest of the world and I can continue hoarding them. 

Just think before the HSA pricing went off the rails a box of Juan L #1 were well under $200. This was less than 2 years ago

9 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

I've loved every JL2 I've had! This is my last one.

That's a borderline maduro wrapper. Do you notice a flavor variation with different shades of wrapper?

4 hours ago, SCgarman said:

That's a borderline maduro wrapper. Do you notice a flavor variation with different shades of wrapper?

I think the camera added some darker shade. These were from 24:24 circa 2021. So I didn't even have a lot of age on them and they were right up my alley.

I really love this cigar. While they're quite good with some age, honestly I love them with just a couple years on them. Nice and punchy, with bold but delicious flavors. Not always the most complex cigar, but who cares? How complex is a grilled bone in ribeye with salt and pepper? 

The 50 cabs from 2006 were some of the very best robustos I have EVER had. I bought 3 of them and wish I had more. They blew the Coro's out of the water and smoked great forever though they're long gone...

• Like 1