Update us: Has your sense of taste and smell changed since you have had Covid?

"Prez, did your sense of taste and smell for cigars return to normal? In Feb 2020 I received a box of Cohiba Sig III from FOH. The taste and smell were weird, and I fell ill later that day. After that every cigar in my humidor - even reliable Monte 4's and BBF's - had the same aroma and taste. I gave up."

16 months later he is still having the same issue. Everything tastes "Off". 

Ruling out that there is an issue with his storage conditions, are theire members who have noticed a distinct change with their sense of taste and smell since recovering from Covid?

• Sad 2

My wife however caught Covid October '20 and is still suffering with weird tastes and phantom smells to this day. It's not all the time, but enough to ruin a meal or a bottle of wine now and then.

I've been fortunate. Had Covid twice now and fortunately don't have any long lasting problems from it.

• Like 2

Got Covid at the end of April, never lost taste or smell, but did have sinus infection that lingered for weeks. Fortunately, all ill effects are gone now, glad to be back to normal.

• Like 2

My wife's taste fell off when she got Covid, but came back after a couple of months.  Mine did not suffer at all, but now get post-Covid muscle aches like I am dehydrated, yet I am not.

• Thanks 1

Thankfully, all Covid did to me was give me a runny nose and a headache for a week.  No loss of taste or smell.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, SCgarman said:

You may not believe this, but I never contracted COVID !! Call me lucky or my immune system is simply extraordinary. No complaints either way.

You'll walk among us soon enough.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

There's pretty high probability that you had it and never knew you had it unless you tested every week for the past 2 years.

Never had a reason to test. I'm a home body and generally stay away from people other than my inner circle. Best part is all my cigars have tasted fantastic over the last two years. I also think getting adequate sleep and taking vitamin D3 may have helped with covid immunity. Also specific DNA. Some folks are just more immune to viruses than others. That is scientific fact.

29 minutes ago, SCgarman said:

Never had a reason to test. I'm a home body and generally stay away from people other than my inner circle. Best part is all my cigars have tasted fantastic over the last two years. I also think getting adequate sleep and taking vitamin D3 may have helped with covid immunity. Also specific DNA. Some folks are just more immune to viruses than others. That is scientific fact.

I'm very similar to you and still ended up getting it after family gathering on Christmas.  I never would have known I had it except that my wife demanded that I test since she tested positive I had a runny nose (not too uncommon in January in Chicago).  She felt like crap for over a week but I felt fine...genetics, I agree. 😁

1 hour ago, Chibearsv said:

I'm very similar to you and still ended up getting it after family gathering on Christmas.  I never would have known I had it except that my wife demanded that I test since she tested positive I had a runny nose (not too uncommon in January in Chicago).  She felt like crap for over a week but I felt fine...genetics, I agree. 😁

Agreed. Your DNA has much to do with your health. How many do you hear about that never drank, smoked any form of tobacco, worked out in the gym religiously for years only to come down with some form of terminal cancer or suffer a one and done fatal heart attack? Or the guy who smoked two-three packs a day of non-filtered Camels and lived to be 95? Life can be quite puzzling.

Bloodwork from last summer said I've had it at some point (positive for antibodies). After about the 3 month mark of the pandemic I gave up voluntary avoidance measures/precautions all together. Haven't been sick in well over 2 years and have never tested positive, even after numerous known exposures. A combination of luck, genetics, and my vitamin/supplement regimen if I had to guess. Who knows? Wish everyone could have coasted through all this as easy as I did.   Sense of smell remains unaffected. 

• Like 2

A lot of asymptomatic infection - it’s part of why COVID spread so easily. Viral load (essentially how much you’re exposed to) seems to be one of the main factors influencing how sick people get. 

There are a number of blogs and other resources dedicated to helping people “retrain” their sense of smell lost from COVID. If you’ve lost all sense of taste and smell and it’s been over a year, it is unfortunately not likely to fully return. I think it’s one of those things where you don’t realize how important smell is to your daily life until you lose it. I feel for you. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Never affected sense of taste and smell but I've had lingering brain fog to varying degrees. It's been pretty frustrating. 

Exact same here. I was down for a good 21 days. Brain still a bit foggy at times

• Sad 2

I lost my sense of taste and smell completely when catching a pretty bad case of it a few months ago. It seems to have fully returned now though for both. I have had a minor lingering headache though since recovering. 

• Thanks 1

I didn't lose my taste or smell with covid. I was very sick for a week. But, I did lose my taste for certain foods. Like chicken tenders and pork. Very strange.

• Thanks 1