Tips From Tailoring Professionals on How to Freshen Up Your Suit After a Cigar

I dont think pants are as big an issue as jackets. For one thing, steaming a pair of trousers will usually job out the tobacco scent, and I do it regularly anyway to decrease wrinkles. I dry clean trousers once a season and jackets every 3 seasons unless otherwise necessary. 

I usually just leave my jacket in the car en route to the lounge, opting for a cardigan instead which I hang in the closet. Smoke with my shirt and suit pants, no tie. 

Mom; before one of her concerts in Prague.

“Charles, your clothing reeks of tobacco.”

Me: “Mom, you carry a heavy scent of Cartier”

We always agreed to disagree... 🙂

• Haha 4

Stanza can get smoky. Great place, one of the last left in Boston.

Air them out!

• Like 2

Having spent time with the theatre crowd (no, I'm not Hamlet material) the go-to for costumes is vodka in a spray bottle.  This is surprisingly effective on many odours, but I've not tried it on tobacco smoke, only stage effects.

"I am the very model of a modern major general!"

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, benfica_77 said:

This guys next article.....how to get Stripper glitter/sparkles off your suit so the Mrs. doesn't get angry 😅

Or the butt shaped stain of baby oil off of khakis... 😳

• Haha 4

Airing out is a no-brainer.  Steaming works great to freshen & soften wrinkles, but not everyone has a garment steamer.  Ash holes are more worrisome to me.  I am slob with ash.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

Smoking Jacket.

They had it right back in the day. 

One should not wear a smoking jacket outside of the house.  Smoking jackets are offered to guests, not worn to the event.

3 hours ago, Jack said:

To remove the smell of smoke?

You would be amazed how many small particles of ash a lint roller removes.  I use it before the soft brush in order that I don't just brush them into the fabric, particularly on coarser/deeper  overcoats.  On extended travel, it helps make the coats/suits not look/smell like you are chic homeless. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Finish off with a steamer or hang it in the shower and run the hot water for 10 minutes.

Do not follow this advice if you are drunk and fall asleep before turning off the shower. You may wake up with a fireman in full gear staring at you, and the whole of the hotel evacuated outside.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Do not follow this advice if you are drunk and fall asleep before turning off the shower. You may wake up with a fireman in full gear staring at you, and the whole of the hotel evacuated outside.

.......very sage advice 🙄

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 10:07 AM, JohnS said:

@Luca is the 'go-to' man here. He is definitely the one cool dude I'd ask for help with this problem, if the need arose!

Haha thanks John. Good advice in this thread. Definitely airing out is the best way to remove cigar odours from your suit. I smoke frequently whilst wearing a suit. At home I use a smoking jacket.

A big factor is also the material of your suit. A 100% wool suit will not hold odour like a polyester suit. Wool is an amazing fabric with great properties (hard wearing, breathable but warm etc) and one of those is that it doesn't hold odours.

So airing out, steaming (occasionally), and brushing (I don't recommend using a lint roller) your suits is a great way to help keep them odour free. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Luca said:

Haha thanks John. Good advice in this thread. Definitely airing out is the best way to remove cigar odours from your suit. I smoke frequently whilst wearing a suit. At home I use a smoking jacket.

A big factor is also the material of your suit. A 100% wool suit will not hold odour like a polyester suit. Wool is an amazing fabric with great properties (hard wearing, breathable but warm etc) and one of those is that it doesn't hold odours.

So airing out, steaming (occasionally), and brushing (I don't recommend using a lint roller) your suits is a great way to help keep them odour free. 

Liar. You just buy a new suit! :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, therealrsr said:

Why do you not recommend the lint roller?  Not challenging, I mean JohnS cited you as the "go-to" so looking to learn.

I will let Luca provide his thoughts, but from my perspective lint rollers can be tough on suit fibers depending on what material your suit is made of. Brush is a more gentle option. This is just a general comment based on my experience, not specific to removing smoke odors. 

• Like 2

First, I went to Stanza dei Sigari over the Christmas break and can state that it is one of the coolest spots I've visited in the past 10 years, cigars or no.

Second, tobacco odors in clothing are not that bad. If people complain, it's time to change the people, not the clothing.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, patrickamory said:

First, I went to Stanza dei Sigari over the Christmas break and can state that it is one of the coolest spots I've visited in the past 10 years, cigars or no.

Second, tobacco odors in clothing are not that bad. If people complain, it's time to change the people, not the clothing.

Just looked it up. It looks like a great place! I wonder what air purification system they use...

• Like 1