Pure B***shit: Novak Djokovic granted medical exemption to play at Australian Open

On 1/18/2022 at 4:30 PM, Schumi5 said:

As a diehard Federer fan, I am certainly no fan of Djokovic.  Also, certainly not going to make him out to be a hero.  That said, the vitriol and name calling does seem a bit exaggerated here and in general.  I get he is not very likable. However his record in giving is worth noting. He provided charitable donations to three separate countries early on in the pandemic to help them battle Covid.  He supported the Australians via charitable donations when they were dealing with wildfires.  Not saying any of this entitles him entry into the lockdown/draconian capital of the world for a tennis tourney.  However, I would say his charitable record is pretty admirable compared to many athletes and likely proves a counterpoint to the arsehole and twat rhetoric.  

People are complicated.  They can be lovely and thoughtful and also ignorant and pompous, all in the same hour.  

• Like 1

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2022/01/05/independent-panels-novak-djokovic-incredibly-rich/?fbclid=IwAR19lO8-O-BSYdqun0mUzX0ENzaEmxOlF1I01sPF2Isz757uYScJrTgp-xE Independent panels conclude that No

IMG_9356.MP4  

So some Aussies haven't been able to come home from overseas for 18 months due to vaccine hoops you need to jump through.  But wait.   Novak Djokovic granted medical exemption to play a

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2022 at 6:48 PM, Ken Gargett said:

not really sure that the point does stand. had he got vaccinated in either june 2020 (if it were possible) or june 2021, then we would not be having this debate. he would be vaxxed and allowed to enter. 

it is obvious that you and other anti-vaxxers will never be convinced by science but take your natural immunity and sit on a pyramid and chant kumbaya or whatever but we have done the vaccination debate to death. your assertions have been refuted time and time again. and by the way, that evil science suggests that natural immunity may lose its effectiveness after three months. so it is sheer ignorance to think it should be the be all and end all when it was 19 months since he had covid. 

but as rob says and as i have said and others have said, the australian regulations, of which ND was fully aware, made it absolutely clear that so-called natural immunity was not sufficient for exemption and that everyone needs to be double vaxxed (yes, that pesky science just keeps getting in the way). being a whackadoodle doesn't remove that obligation. 

Hey champ, just checking back in. Still sticking with natural immunity not being sufficient? Or are you finally going to…follow the science?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna71027

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zaphod42 said:

Hey champ, just checking back in. Still sticking with natural immunity not being sufficient? Or are you finally going to…follow the science?

It was never about science, but conformity and authoritarianism.  The nail that sticks up must be hammered down.  This is the new world order.

• Like 4

I wish the people who think vaccines and societal health control measures were a dull boring episode in our shared history and something we can all enjoy putting behind us,       would also realise the rest of the world finds this new religion of finding conspiracies........in..........AB......SOLUT......LY EVERYTHING!.......is also as dull as dishwater.  

At least bigfoot was sort of fun and enjoyable, and had purchasable merch 

I can't believe i've reached a point of such mind numbing fatigue with conspiracy theorists, that (as an atheist) i'm actually desperate for Jesus to return to earth, and commence judgment day, even if it means I have to burn in an everlasting hell. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

morning yourself, champ. always a joy to wake up to the musings of the tinhat brigade. the short answer is absolutely.

if you had read anything i have ever contributed, you'd know that i am always happy to follow the science. are you, champ? i don't care whether that is in relation to covid, drinking water, climate issues, anything. our friend 99call references jesus. if the science decides (i don't mean the fruitbat fringe but the genuine scientific community) that someone wandered around the middle east a couple of thousand years ago dishing out miracles, and now sits on a cloud ruling the universe, then fair enough (not holding my breath on this one, champ). 

the comment you quote was made over a year ago, champ. are you really telling me that you know so much that you have never changed a view in a period exceeding a year? which nobel prize don't you hold? 

more seriously, at that time, a period of around three months for natural immunity was apparently the prevailing scientific view. if that has now been extended, i have no argument. if in another 12 months, the scientific view has changed again, in either direction, i won't have an issue. would you? gandhi was once asked why he had changed his mind on an issue. 'because i know more this week than i did last week'. i assume that applies to the scientific community as well. 

but you ask if i am sticking with natural immunity not being sufficient? well hell yes. did you even read the article you have quoted to supposedly support your position? i'll be honest, i did not get far. para five - 'experts stress that vaccination is the preferable route to immunity'. so, yes. and if you follow the science, you'd be on board with this. or is it only science you can shoehorn into your theories that you'll support? the next para points out the fairly obvious problem of natural immunity in that you might just be one of those who get sick or die. 

in the USA alone, more than 1.1 million people have died. that is 1.1 million families and friends devastated. the vast majority of these were not vaxxed, according to reports. not to mention the huge number who were seriously ill and the pressure that placed on those families, or the horrendous economic chaos and cost all this has caused, the stress on communities and the massive overload it all placed on hospitals and the medical systems. can't get much plainer for me, champ. but if you do find that the science on this changes, always happy to listen. 

Imagine still still sticking with that position. Absolutely incredible to still deny common sense and reality. Bravo for quadrupling down though.

19 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

the very source you used in your defence takes a position diametrically opposed to yours. toss in over a million dead. wouldn't commonsense and reality be to finally acknowledge that? but bravo yourself for creating a fantasy world that would even impress tolkien. 

anyway, not running from a discussion. off to drink lots of great wines. more than happy to resume this tomorrow. 

Have some Shiraz for me my man.

This thread was about a dick head getting special treatment from tournament tossers. Not on. Right result. 

In terms.of the science,.moving goal posts. I have no idea why anyone has a fixed position. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zaphod42 said:

so you argument is that the best defense against something is to get it, then to have natural immunity from not getting it again.  When I type that non-sense into an excel formula I get a circular error message.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Monterey said:

so you argument is that the best defense against something is to get it, then to have natural immunity from not getting it again.  When I type that non-sense into an excel formula I get a circular error message.

The best defense against a virus is to get it and recover. Correct. Nothing about that is complicated. It’s what we all agreed on prior to 2020. And then insanity took over.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Zaphod42 said:

The best defense against a virus is to get it and recover. Correct. Nothing about that is complicated. It’s what we all agreed on prior to 2020. And then insanity took over.

That is one of the craziest things I've read in some time.  Nothing more to do than to shake my head and move on.  Wow.

• Like 3

Is that what you recommend for HIV, Marburg, Ebola etc?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Zaphod42 said:

The best defense against a virus is to get it and recover. Correct. Nothing about that is complicated. It’s what we all agreed on prior to 2020.

Tell that to you grandparents’ generation, who had friends and loved ones crippled or killed by polio. And left stone deaf by the measles. 

The only thing that changed in 2020 was that anti-vaxxing became mainstream instead of belonging to the fringe yummy mummy brigade. 

1 hour ago, potpest said:
17 hours ago, Zaphod42 said:

Is that what you recommend for HIV?

Absolutely. And polio. And smallpox. Get all three and you’ll be superhuman! Everyone knew that before 2020!!! Then the insanity took over….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, potpest said:

Is that what you recommend for HIV, Marburg, Ebola etc?

Dont forget Rabies.  That's a 100% fatality rate unless you are treated with a vaccine before it reaches your brain.  

But, in all seriousness the covid vaccine is really great at preventing death for those who are over 50, obese, or with respiratory illnesses.  It does not stop the spread nor prevent you from catching it, and is somewhat useless for those whom are young and healthy, especially the younger you get.  

Comparing it to the MMR or Polio vaccine is an apples to oranges comparison that makes no sense.  

Furthermore, the reason the anti-vaxxers have become mainstream is because our CDC gave us a Noble lie instead of the truth.  The CDC insisted the vaccine would stop the spread (even though Pfizer recently admitted they never tested for it).  When it became obvious this was not true (around May 2021), the anti-vaxxers had the best opening ever.  

The CDC should have started right out the gate with the truth, that it will not stop the spread but it will greatly decrease the chance of death for those over 50.  Of course you cant really justify forcing people to get it with that messaging, which is probably why they did not.  

The damage is now done unfortunately and, judging by history, it will take a decade for the public to regain trust in the CDC up the level prior to 2020.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zaphod42 said:

Ya, reality is pretty crazy sometimes.

not that i really want to get involved in this any further, because it really is the most fruitbat crazy stuff i have heard in a very long time, but how do you think that the nearly 7 million people (1.1 in the States alone) who have died from covid would feel about your theory? and their families? 

i think i am on fairly safe ground in assuming that you are not an epidemiologist or indeed have any actual training or expertise in the subject so may i ask from where your 'knowledge' or information comes? not from the article you quoted, because that actually says the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. just curious. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kitchen said:

Comparing it to the MMR or Polio vaccine is an apples to oranges comparison that makes no sense.  

Neither of those vaccines in 100% effective either so I don’t really see how it “makes no sense” to compare them. The principle is the same and moreover they were brought up to refute the claim that everyone believed getting a virus was the best approach prior to 2020. So they’re perfectly apt for that purpose. 

36 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

not that i really want to get involved in this any further, because it really is the most fruitbat crazy stuff i have heard in a very long time, but how do you think that the nearly 7 million people (1.1 in the States alone) who have died from covid would feel about your theory? and their families? 

i think i am on fairly safe ground in assuming that you are not an epidemiologist or indeed have any actual training or expertise in the subject so may i ask from where your 'knowledge' or information comes? not from the article you quoted, because that actually says the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. just curious. 

Check the age and obesity levels of those people. You’ll find a common thread. I didn’t say a vaccine was useless; but if you’ve already caught it and gotten over it, there’s little reason to subject yourself to a vaccine or discriminate against people.

• Like 2