Pure B***shit: Novak Djokovic granted medical exemption to play at Australian Open

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2022/01/05/independent-panels-novak-djokovic-incredibly-rich/?fbclid=IwAR19lO8-O-BSYdqun0mUzX0ENzaEmxOlF1I01sPF2Isz757uYScJrTgp-xE Independent panels conclude that No

IMG_9356.MP4  

So some Aussies haven't been able to come home from overseas for 18 months due to vaccine hoops you need to jump through.  But wait.   Novak Djokovic granted medical exemption to play a

In good ole Canada, we couldn't even print a certificate (in order to even attempt to create a fake one). 

We just use a pdf file emailed to us. 

And ya'll know how easy it is to modify a PDF file. 

• Like 1

Trying to tune in and out of this hearing and it’s unbearable. Going on three hours of debate over whether the Immigration Minister really thought through his decision. Goodness. 

On 1/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, JohnS said:

Meanwhile...there are three 20-time Men's Grand Slam tennis championships and only one of them will play at the Australian Open this year. I predict that his progress will come into a sharper focus by the time the tournament commences.

It was ten days ago but, without sounding arrogant in any way, this is what it was going to come down to. We all now turn our focus to Rafael Nadal's effort to win the Australian Open and make it 21 career grand slams. Personally, I think there are other players in this year's tournament more likely to win.

Three Federal Court judges rejected Novak Djokovic's appeal at around 6 pm on Sunday night, January 16th because it's practically impossible to overturn Australian Taxation and Immigration laws. Novak consulted a highly reputable law firm and invested a lot of money to overturn these decisions, put honestly he should have had a chat to Paul Hogan about his experiences with the Australian Taxation Office before taking this course of action.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison's statement in response to the Federal Court's Decision:

The Full Federal Court of Australia unanimously decided to dismiss Mr Novak Djokovic's application for judicial review which sought to challenge the Minister for Immigration's decision to cancel his visa.

This cancellation decision was made on health, safety and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.

I welcome the decision to keep our borders strong and keep Australians safe.

As I said on Friday, Australians have made many sacrifices during this pandemic, and they rightly expect the result of those sacrifices to be protected.

Over the pandemic, together we have achieved one of the lowest death rates, strongest economies and highest vaccination rates, in the world.

Strong borders are fundamental to the Australian way of life as is the rule of law.

Our Government has always understood this and has been prepared to take the decisions and actions necessary to protect the integrity of our borders.

I thank the Court for their prompt attention to these issues and the patience of all involved as we have worked to resolve this issue.

It's now time to get on with the Australian Open and get back to enjoying tennis over the summer.

Australian Immigration Minister Alex Hawke's statement in response to the Federal Court's Decision:

I welcome today's unanimous decision by the Full Federal Court of Australia, upholding my decision to exercise my power under the Migration Act to cancel Mr Novak Djokovic's visa in the public interest," he said.

"Australia's strong border protection policies have kept us safe during the pandemic, resulting in one of the lowest death rates, strongest economic recoveries, and highest vaccination rates in the world.

"Strong border protection policies are also fundamental to safe-guarding Australia's social cohesion which continues to strengthen despite the pandemic.

"Australians have made great sacrifices to get to this point and the Morrison Government is firmly committed to protecting this position, as the Australian people expect.

Novak Djokovic's statement in response to the Federal Court's Decision:

I would like to make a brief statement to address the outcomes of today's Court hearing. I will now be taking some time to rest and to recuperate, before making any further comments beyond this.

I am extremely disappointed with the Court ruling to dismiss my application for judicial review of the Minister's decision to cancel my visa, which means I cannot stay in Australia and participate in the Australian Open.

I respect the Court's ruling and I will cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from the country.

I am uncomfortable that the focus of the past weeks has been on me and I hope that we can all now focus on the game and tournament I love. I would like to wish the players, tournament officials, staff, volunteers and fans all the best for the tournament.

Finally, I would like to thank my family, friends, team, supporters, fans and my fellow Serbians for your continued support. You have all been a great source of strength to me.

So can Novak Djokovic compete in the other Grand Slams in 2022? Yes and No. He can compete at Wimbledon, after serving a quarantine period on entry to UK under current laws and he can compete at the French Open. I don't believe he would be entitled to an automatic entry into the United States if unvaccinated, though.

A co-worker of mine has a daughter and son in law in Aussieland (and most recently a grand daughter). They too can't visit, so this past Christmas they all met in NYC for two weeks. 

It's interesting that some of your 'restrictions' are looser, like still allowing indoor dining, indoor events, etc. 

And yet you won't let fully vaxxed people into your country? 

Strange times we live in. 

I hope you can see your son at some point in 2022! That must be horrible. 

2 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

And yet you won't let fully vaxxed people into your country? 

It is a state by state thing. 

In QLD (where we are based), International tourists will be allowed once we reached 90% vax rate. We are at that benchmark this week.  NSW reached it two months ago and they are open to international tourists as long as you are double vaxxed (approved vax) and have a negative PCR test 3 days out. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 7:44 PM, JohnS said:

So can Novak Djokovic compete in the other Grand Slams in 2022? Yes and No. He can compete at Wimbledon, after serving a quarantine period on entry to UK under current laws and he can compete at the French Open. I don't believe he would be entitled to an automatic entry into the United States if unvaccinated, though.

Over the weekend, the French Government passed a change in law providing no exemptions to unvaccinated travellers into France. It looks like Novak will not defend the French Open this year either.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-18/novak-djokovic-lands-in-serbia-after-deportation-from-australia/100762766

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Over the weekend, the French Government passed a change in law providing no exemptions to unvaccinated travellers into France. It looks like Novak will not defend the French Open this year either.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-18/novak-djokovic-lands-in-serbia-after-deportation-from-australia/100762766

This makes it black and white, no room for interpretation which was my comment earlier in the thread. Not all will like it but having this in Australia would have prevented the whole fiasco. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LLC said:

This makes it black and white, no room for interpretation which was my comment earlier in the thread. Not all will like it but having this in Australia would have prevented the whole fiasco. 

You only need go to the Oz Gov Travel website and it is clear as crystal what is required. It honestly couldn't be clearer. 

The AO mess was specifically engineered by Tennis Australia to cloud the waters with the explicit aim of allowing ND to play the tournament. They almost got away with it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

You only need go to the Oz Gov Travel website and it is clear as crystal what is required. It honestly couldn't be clearer. 

The AO mess was specifically engineered by Tennis Australia to cloud the waters with the explicit aim of allowing ND to play the tournament. They almost got away with it. 

absolutely. novak should sue them. i'm sure the federal court would be delighted to have him back before them.

actually, one of the three judges is one of my oldest and closest friends, for 45 years (i did think of pulling a few old photos out because i reckon the tabloids would have covered my mortgage and more for a few of them). fabulous bloke. incredibly smart - would be the smartest bloke i know (if i remember correctly, he topped the masters at Yale, which is not bad for an offshore student), although like so many smart blokes, private life a complete trainwreck. always entertaining.

looking forward to catching up and getting the inside scoop. which he will steadfastly refuse to divulge until we get him pissed. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

absolutely. novak should sue them. i'm sure the federal court would be delighted to have him back before them.

are you permitted to post on this thread? 

or am I getting the threads you are banned from mixed up? :thinking:

Just now, El Presidente said:

.....no doubt it is only a matter of time. 

surely this has been done to death. i can't imagine there is anything more to say. 

i shall eagerly await the tinfoil hat brigade to come up with the next piece of lunacy and see how long i can last. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1