Let's talk Cognac....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It may seem haughty to point out that Cognac is distinctive from brandy but it is. It comes from the west coast of the Cognac rural region of France and for me, there is a difference in comparison to

Yes, yes, yes! I'm a fan of cognac, or rather it's legal for my preferences to say brandy. I have been drinking Armenian cognac for the last few years. There were many protests from the French, but th

In my parents' generation, no Chinese banquet in the Far East was complete without cognac on the table.  As I understand it, there were only 2 (unwritten) rules - it must be XO, and it must be duty-fr

5 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

Yes, yes, yes! I'm a fan of cognac, or rather it's legal for my preferences to say brandy. I have been drinking Armenian cognac for the last few years. There were many protests from the French, but this is the same Soviet heritage as "Soviet Champagne". This year Armenia signed an agreement with the European Union that within a few years it will abandon the use of the name Cognac.
I chose a small cognac factory for myself https://www.proshyan.am
My budget Cognacs for frequent use are aged 7-8 years and the price for a bottle of 0.5 liters is $ 10. The quality is excellent.
I usually smoke cigars without alcohol - for me, a high-quality Cuban cigar is self-sufficient and it does not require a pair.

46bb34d7fb5b79ad5c472c0369968bab.jpg

880139a6fd5af27b420a31701580db09.jpg

How do you compare it to the French one?

How do you compare it to the French one?

In my humble unprofessional opinion, they have a mild taste and can compete with the French in terms of price/quality. There is a large Ararat factory in Yerevan, which now belongs to the French Pernod Ricard, which indicates a high assessment of the level of Armenian brandy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

In my parents' generation, no Chinese banquet in the Far East was complete without cognac on the table.  As I understand it, there were only 2 (unwritten) rules - it must be XO, and it must be duty-free. 

When the economy took off in the late 70s and early 80s in HK they had at least a bottle (export quality like from duty free indeed) on each table at weddings and gatherings of importance such as company or family official dinners, and they drank it in normal glasses. Sources also say that Cognac accounted for more sales in volume than any other alcoholic beverage from France at the time - red wine included. Today, Baijiu has taken over the tradition at least on the mainland. 

• Like 1

Cognac is ok for me; something to enjoy while the snow is pounding down.  My "go to" for distilled is Kirsch.  That being said, you cannot go wrong any Pierre Ferrand cognac's.

http://maisonferrand.com/en/content/pierre-ferrand-cognac/

• Like 3

13 hours ago, El Presidente said:

My parents brought me up on  inexpensive  Spanish Cognac and Brandy's

My first experience of Spanish Brandy, was fairly rough 103 stuff, and my initial reaction was similarly unenthused.   I tried some Cardenal Mendoza two years ago and was blown away.  If you like PX and I believe you do,   you should defo give this a go it's absolutely fabulous.   It manages to be decadently Christmasy, without being too cloyingly sweet.  It's got a nice backdrop of walnut/date salty savoury that balances everything out.            Would pair fabulously with an after dinner 898

Also the packaging is utterly beautiful,  it's a shame they don't still come in the original cork boxes however

I would suggest, now maybe the time to give your heritage one more crack of the whip

brandy_car1.jpeg

99adb8f5-128d-44d4-9521-3220fc047212.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I'm currently going through a bottle of Greek 12 star Metaxa,

I can never quite work out if I like Metaxa.    One minute it's like drinking liquid flowers in a good way,  the next minute it's like drinking liquid flowers in a very bad way. 

• Like 1

Enjoy armagnac since its a bit more rustic to me and the layers of flavors are easier to discern on my palette.
Very partial to Delord offerings since I know/trust the rigor in their production processes — the price to value you get on their 25 or 30 yr is extraordinary when you compare against whiskies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

From Costco?

8 hours ago, therealrsr said:

I believe that is correct but not positive.

Yep, seen it plenty of times at Costco here in Aus. I have even seen a Tiger, Pig and Ox version. I think they were Napoleon XO Brandy.

• Like 1

Being Asian, I have quite a few bottles of cognac; XO, VSOP, VS, Fine Champagne etc. Most of them come from my parents, who got them during the 70-90s.

My favourite would have to be a Camus XO from the mid 80s. I have a few bottles of that. Then it would be the Hennessy XO and Remy Martin XO to round out my top 3.

Btw, the Costco XO cognac is actually fairly decent. It won't stack up to the big boys, but at the price point, good for serving to people who would not appreciate the finer points of a Camus XO. And you can cook with it too.

• Like 1