Should Employers have the right to request staff be vaccinated?

Vaccination in the work place.   

231 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

It looks like whatever your feelings are on the matter, businesses are moving forward with the requirement and 'vaccine passports' have arrived.

We have that in Germany now for a couple of months and it gets tougher for the unvaccinated : testing that is free of charge now will have to be paid from Oct. 10-th onwards, so they will pretty much be squeezed if they want to take part in public life without a vaccine.

• Like 1

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a front line healthcare worker I'm absolutely sick and tired of people coming in with covid now.  We did it last year, and our hospital lost half its staff. Now we're understaffed like every h

No way should they have that right. People should not be forced to accept a medical procedure in order to work, especially not an experimental and potentially very dangerous one. And it is very much e

Exactly, it’s like the current hysteria with kids supposedly getting it in any serious numbers. Absolutely no scientific or statistical evidence behind it, pure fear propaganda. If you are vaccin

2 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

It looks like whatever your feelings are on the matter, businesses are moving forward with the requirement and 'vaccine passports' have arrived.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/13/us/new-orleans-vaccination-proof/index.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-vaccine-passport-1.6136031

New Orleans is vaccine or proof of a negative test - that is not the arrival of vaccine passports. It is literally in the first sentence of the article. Are you even trying to convey the truth at this point?

17 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

Nurses, yes.

Doctors, very rare.

Doctors wont even go into the rooms. Dont know how many times my wife she has given report to a doctor about a patient, at the patents door. When she opens to door to go in...both of them to go in...the doctor stands there staring at her only to say "im not going in there." 

Repulsive

42 minutes ago, porkchop said:

New Orleans is vaccine or proof of a negative test - that is not the arrival of vaccine passports. It is literally in the first sentence of the article. Are you even trying to convey the truth at this point?

That's pretty close if you have to have a negative test anytime you want to go to the gym or eat out, etc. Unless the venue tests you at the door that's a lot of trouble to go to.

• Like 2

We have that in Germany now for a couple of months and it gets tougher for the unvaccinated : testing that is free of charge now will have to be paid from Oct. 10-th onwards, so they will pretty much be squeezed if they want to take part in public life without a vaccine.
You could say it's a fair point why taxpayers should pay for people that don't want any vaccination. Don't know what the rules are now in Germany, but I'm also curious how this will be stretched to for example even shops, government buildings or going to work and how other countries are going to react on it. It is considered silly to make a analogy to a certain dark time in German history (not that the French don't have that dark time, same rules implied) and im not going to make it, but I'm still looking at this with the greatest of curiosity and hesitation.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn VOG-L29 met Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, DanWil84 said:

You could say it's a fair point why taxpayers should pay for people that don't want any vaccination. Don't know what the rules are now in Germany, but I'm also curious how this will be stretched to for example even shops, government buildings or going to work and how other countries are going to react on it. It is considered silly to make a analogy to a certain dark time in German history (not that the French don't have that dark time, same rules implied) and im not going to make it, but I'm still looking at this with the greatest of curiosity and hesitation.

Yes, I cannot see why I should pay taxes to pay for testing of people that could have received a free Covid vaccine.

And while Germany is still a "Mother Theresa" country accomodating all and hurting noone, attitudes are changing and people have a choice next Sept. in general elections.

It will be stretched for sure to add Shops, Hospitals, elderly care homes etc., pretty soon it will be nationwide I guess and companies will be asking for it.

Yes, silly indeed and since I consider myself a Spaniard with a German passport I won't comment to that analogy - Groetjes 🙂

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DanWil84 said:

You could say it's a fair point why taxpayers should pay for people that don't want any vaccination.

It starts of as that and turns into "why taxpayers should pay for people that don't want any ______."

• Like 3

It starts of as that and turns into "why taxpayers should pay for people that don't want any ______."

Well that's quite ironic to say on a tobacco forum and the risks of smoking, but I get your point. This remark was only regarding this topic of which you could say it's a valid argument if there is a choice and a consequence of picking one. It would be quite a stretch to ask for a vaccination or negative test for just going shopping, but if I really didn't want the vaccine I would go test to go to a concert or going out dining. Yes that would cost me around 20 to 40 euros a test, but thats the consequence. There is a argument to make for why you would even consider that with a virus with a IFR of blablabla, but that's not the point, it will get shoved in your throat anyway. That's what we have live with, with people in power that do not care for your interest.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn VOG-L29 met Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Vaccine passport/proof of vaccine now required for internal flights into the state of West Australia. 

The same was just announced in Canada for all commercial air travelers, passengers on inter-provincial trains and passengers on large, marine vessels with overnight accommodations such as cruise ships. They also said a requirement for all Federal government employees to be vaccinated is coming soon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-mandatory-vaccinations-1.6140131

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

The same was just announced in Canada for all commercial air travelers, passengers on inter-provincial trains and passengers on large, marine vessels with overnight accommodations such as cruise ships. They also said a requirement for all Federal government employees to be vaccinated is coming soon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-mandatory-vaccinations-1.6140131

So far. Ontario civil servants do not need vax to go to their workplace, nor can they be asked about their status.  🙄 Their privacy trumps everyone else's safety. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Meesterjojo said:

Reading backyards is just like reading through heart of darkness. It'd a hot mess.

At this point indo not understand why folks are confusing personal rights and freedom's with not wanting to harm your neighbors. 

You do not have the right to harm other people. That's is why you need to get vaccinated,  mask up, or leave society.

No one has the right to harm others. End of debate.

This is their logic:

If vaccines work 100% then I don't need to Vax because the vaccinated are protected.

If vaccines don't work 100% then I don't need to Vax because no protection is the same as 90% protection plus "long term side effects". I use quotes because it seems rare for a 2x treatment to have long term side effects but no short term side effects. The AstraZeneca vaccine had blood clots in the short term. Most other medicines with long term side effects have those effects after repeated doses of the medication not 2 doses.

And I guess there's a feeling that the doing no harm to others rule only covers positive actions, negative actions are different because it forces you to do something. Personally being forbidden from doing something or forced to do something is a matter of perspective in many cases. In this case you are forbidden from entering a gym unless you are vaccinated is that the same as being forced to be vaccinated? Just the phrasing there is different.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bijan said:

That's pretty close if you have to have a negative test anytime you want to go to the gym or eat out, etc. Unless the venue tests you at the door that's a lot of trouble to go to.

A bullet that is pretty close to hitting you in the head is a lot different than a bullet that hits you in the head. If the make believe has to continue for politicians to stay in power and corporate leaders to get rich(er), so be it. Plebs of either persuasion (mandate and no mandate) can play along, each in their own way. Personally, I am ok playing the game. It is childish, but whatever - the small pleasures will still be there. 

5 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Are you even looking to have a civil conversation in this thread or just fight with everyone you can?

At what, $79 a pop for each visit, requiring a negative COVID test for entry into bars, restaurants, breweries, gyms, fitness centers, sports complexes and stadiums, is a de facto vaccine passport.

Huh? Not sure if you are trolling - I had one other post in a ten page thread. You posted something that was wrong and got corrected. Happens to the best of us. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, porkchop said:

A bullet that is pretty close to hitting you in the head is a lot different than a bullet that hits you in the head. If the make believe has to continue for politicians to stay in power and corporate leaders to get rich(er), so be it. Plebs of either persuasion (mandate and no mandate) can play along, each in their own way. Personally, I am ok playing the game. It is childish, but whatever - the small pleasures will still be there. 

In this case it's probably worse this way. If they made it mandatory then they'd likely add a religious/sincere belief exception.

But now that there's the test option it's harder to argue you're averse to covid tests. People go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I used to when I went. Getting covid tested multiple times in a week is pretty rough.

5 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

The world is not a utopia.  The greater good does not always win.  Some people expect others to take care of them, some people expect no one to help and then there are those people in the middle.  Different countries and the people that inhabit them are very different in their belief systems when it comes to personal freedoms and what they will sacrifice in order to keep those freedoms.

Yes I believe in this case there's a tradeoff between covid deaths and personal freedoms. Each country will go its own way. Being not quite so deadly but not quite so benign makes it very hard to know which way to lean. I am "pro" vaccine but my opinion is open up and let the unvaccinated suffer any consequences. Or alternatively mandate it with a religious/belief opt out. I think most people would get the vaccine in that case and maybe 10% would have serious reservations and opt out. I feel it best not to press the issue beyond that point.

It would be overreach to me to mandate it against sincerely held beliefs. Even though I think it harmless it's a precedent I wouldn't want set.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dobbs said:

well, you weren't there, but you know, that whole slavery thing in the united states, pretty good example of a return of freedoms.

and slippery-slope arguments are generally unreliable. we eat animals, but somehow haven't yet slid into cannibalism.

-dobbs

Neither one of those arguments are intellectually honest with regards to the current global public health epidemic.

We are in fact animals ourselves (just really smart ones) and your wrong about cannibalism...that is how we have a word for it...Some animals are herbivores, some are omnivores, some are carnivores.  I figure at some point we just figured out cows taste better than Uncle Bob.  Haven't you ever seen Soylent Green :)

Those that doubt the slippery slope usually end up at the bottom first.  They are easy to miss if your not looking out for them.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Neither one of those arguments are intellectually honest with regards to the current global public health epidemic.

the point was that your argument is hyperbolic and therefore not intellectually honest (thanks for the phrase). and i'm well aware that cannibalism existed/exists, don't you think it would be difficult to make an argument with a concept that doesn't?

-dobbs

• Like 1

Doesn't the question (as it's morphed through the thread) hinge on whether the vax prevents transmission?  There seems to be alot of certitude from people that don't really know.  I believe the studies so far more clearly establish whether the vax reduces severity of symptoms rather than whether they halt transmission. The rest is up in the air.  It may be that reduction of transmission is a side effect.  Hardly certain. 

If the vax isn’t shown to reduce transmission, all that follows falls prey to the usual passions and biases of any other polarizing political debate.  So we're back to the usual suspects that pervade every ethical/moral issue of bodily autonomy versus the greater good.     

In my view, it's always preferable to inform, encourage, sometimes to incentivize rather than belittle, discriminate, demonize, and forcibly interfere with any individual's autonomy through mandates and "jab for job" requirements.  But it depends on the real objective, which this thread amply demonstrates is no different than the ones from last year.     

It shouldn't come as any surprise that being told what is "good for you" by people that don't particularly like you or your beliefs will be resisted.  Just look at those that said they wouldn't take the vax if developed/promoted by one administration that now insist it should be mandated under another.  I'd like to believe that I'm above the idiot class of politicos pushing their agendas, but I'd be lying to myself if I did.  So would everyone else.        

• Like 2