Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

11 hours ago, helix said:

Hmm seems flights from Europe to Canada may quickly become a backdoor through the US land border crossings unless Canada follows suit .

Supposedly all US border crossings will check for where you've visited in the past month, if caught trying to hide information it's a future ban on entering the US. 

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

1 minute ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Supposedly all US border crossings will check for where you've visited in the past month, if caught trying to hide information it's a future ban on entering the US. 

I crossed over into the States by vehicle last weekend and was asked  if I had traveled overseas in the last 6 month. When I answered Australia, the border guard asked if I had been to or landed in China. They will be expanding that line of questioning now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cubadust said:

Ok, so lets say just for argument's sake that this is a nasty flu. The problem is that it is a flu that we can't cure. But we still have to treat people that caught it, right? So we have  to put sick people, people that are sick with something we don't have a cure for, in hospitals that's already filled with people that got compromised immune systems, people that's waiting for operations, cancer patiens, people with diabities, elderly, lung problems or well, just sick in general. Look at it like this. Let's just pretend that the hospital in question is an one room apartment that's filled with already sick people, like 20 of them with compromised immune systems. Now you have to put another 20 in this room, that got a "flu" that we can't cure but have to treat. So now you have 40 people that are sick in a room and it's starting to get pretty crowded. But tomorrow we will have another 20 people knocking on the door. Say like 10 with corona and and 10 that just need regular medical attention. You have to understand that this will be problematic, right? Sure, the ones most at risk are elderly and people with compromised immune systems. So? We shouldn't treat or care for those? And this is just the hospital situation, what about the rest of our communities?

This scenario is indeed one of the biggest concerns; the hospitals are not prepared or equipped to handle the inevitable surge that is coming at them shortly. This is compounded by the lack of key materials such as tests, protection for the healthcare workers, respirators to treat the infected, etc. Hospitals will be overwhelmed. Italy is already there, they don't have beds, patients are lining the hallways, and they are now forced to having to make tough decisions about who lives and who dies since they can't treat them all. It is a very sorry scenario. 

It is very, very misleading to think this virus is only a threat to the old and people with pre-existing conditions. Although fatalities for younger people may be lower, it is not a sure thing by any means. Furthermore, anyone infected can easily infect many more people before they ever get symptoms, and they in-turn will infect others, and so on. Rough estimates are that 70% (that was supposed to be 7% not 70% - correcting my mistake ) 7% of the US population will likely get the virus. So quarantine and avoid close contact. The best prevention is to avoid getting the virus.  

• Like 2

I landed in Sweden Tuesday for a visa appointment with the US Embassy in Stockholm. Apparently they have cancelled most of the appointments so I was one of only three appointments Wednesday. All went smooth but now I can't return obviously (had planned to return to the US next week). Fortunately I have a humidor here and also brought with me some extra cigars. Oh, and I guess equally important, I can still work from here and have been reassured that I'll continue to get paid.

8 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

Rough estimates are that 70% of the US population will likely get the virus. So quarantine and avoid close contact. The best prevention is to avoid getting the virus.  

Just out of interest (not doubting that there are such estimates), but do you have a source for this?

1 hour ago, KnightsAnole said:

I kind of do- I think. its because people (and I'm not saying fatherofpugs, whom I agree with on many things) have become so skeptical of the media, it has become difficult to discern truth from fiction, or an agenda driven story. Similar to the boy who cried wolf, we are fed such deception, over and over, that finally we don't believe anything from the media anymore. We see now, how dangerous this predicament has become. I'm not saying left or right here, both sides are miserably guilty of this.

Amen.  Skepticism is not misplaced, but mighty unfortunate.  

Our CEO is now scheduling daily meetings to discuss response plans if and when it hits western PA. We already have quarantine (stay home) orders in effect for anyone who travels basically anywhere at this point. Posters on the walls telling people to wash their hands. And I have to take my laptop home every night in case we are directed not to return to the office for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Mainly because I have a working brain in my head and I refuse to be a sheep. Y'all want to panic and be sheeple, go ahead. Y'all want to look at science, let's do just that. If you have even an elementary ability to understand statistics, it's not that bad. There is now mass hysteria and over-reaction and mass panic that has been incited.  

image.thumb.png.f40b9546586ad447adb63b31d3ffc0d2.png

image.png.5372f3bd8d9070269a39e0c959e4b422.png

image.png.4d28f7a354c5ac9cf6f0eb35653aec61.png

image.png.22d5d22ff30f27f01e97315bc72a5210.png

image.png.ccee2c83225ae2edf7a1798742eda6b4.png

image.thumb.png.b27ddadd18c8b4f146935dbce2fa1d89.png

image.png.3c869413c8324deb7e2428cd85da799e.png

image.png.060d4920655ed2441dcb0988df88e3be.png

2000 - Y2k was going to kill all of us

2002 - West Nile Virus was going to kill all of us

2003 - SARS was going to kill all of us

2005 - BIRD Flu was going to kill all of us

2006 - E.Coli was going to wipe out our food supply and kill all of us

2008 - the US stock market crash was going kill people, not sure how, but it was

2010 - BP Oil spill is going to wipe out all marine life, and kill people who ate the animals

2012 - The Mayan Calendar prediction - the world might come to an end

2014 - Ebola was going to kill all of us - and the biggest cases were at a hospital here in Dallas

2015 - Measles were making a comeback and going to kill people

2016/17 - Zika Virus is going to kill all of us

2020 - COVID 19 is going to kill all of us

None of these things wiped out life as we know it. Fear, fear is killing people. Fear mongering is causing people to buy all the damn toilet paper, paper towels, Lysol/Chlorox wipes, hand sanitizers, and bottled water. Fear is much more powerful than anyone thinks. 

Germany has reported 1,565 cases of COVID-19 and only 2 deaths = 0.128% fatality rate, good for them, they are containing it.

Italy has not been so fortunate, they have reported 10,149 cases with 631 deaths = 6.217% fatality rate.

The percentage of COVID-19 patients who had a mild illness is close almost 81%, severe 14%, and critical 5%. And those numbers are changing constantly. 

Governments are taking precautions to ensure that this doesn't become a larger problem, that is a relief, not a reason to panic. 

More good news, as of yesterday, there were only 19 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Wuhan and the 14 emergency hospitals that were erected during the outbreak are now being decommissioned, but you won't hear about that in the US mainstream media. Doesn't fit the narrative. What should this tell anyone with a working brain? The contamination zones are disappearing and the spread is significantly reduced from the epicenter. 

Do we need better testing for this, yes. Cases are presumed to be under-reported especially those with mild illness because it represents like a bad cold. Do we need a vaccine, maybe. Look at the common flu. Each year we get a "vaccine" that works about 60% of the time because the flu virus in constantly mutating. Does this help some people, yes, does it work for all, no. I know plenty of people who get the flu shot and still get the flu. What have we done as a population is gather some heard immunity to fight the flu if you have no immune system compromises. Those with compromised immune systems or other underlying medical conditions, as with anything else, will have significantly higher mortality rates than "healthy" individuals. 

So, am I skeptical, hell yes. I've lived through the entire list of things I listed above, and none were as bad as the MSM made them out to be. You want to call me stubborn, fine, I really don't care. I refuse to be a sheep. 

Thanks for all that info........but half way thru reading it I got so scared I couldn't continue. 

:unknown:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Capt. Corona said:

Stay safe out there...........and 2 meters away from me please. ?

:unknown:

Resized_output.jpeg

We are now getting cases of people with buyer's remorse, trying to return trolley loads of toilet paper.... and the supermarkets are refusing to refund their purchases!! :rotfl:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, encephalization said:

Just out of interest (not doubting that there are such estimates), but do you have a source for this?

Mea Culpa... that is a typo! Yikes!!!  No, no, no.... 7%, not 70%... WTF. Sorry, my mistake. I'll go fix that asap.

I was listening to CNN as background noise while working last night, and a guest epidemiologist was jousting back and forth with a bunch of people, and made some speculation about epidemics as contagious as this one could potentially infect  up to 7% of people - hopefully I didn't mishear that, but thinking back maybe I did. I'm really second guessing now. 

They were discussing (arguing?) how many people would need hospitalization, and they were putting out extreme scenarios. Certainly don't quote it as a reliable source by any stretch. There was a lot of dialog about hospital capacity, and they were throwing numbers around fast and furious, so I apologize if I misled in any way.

Again, I was not totally focused, I was working and casually listening, so do not quote. The dialog was around the number of confirmed cases apparently doubling every 6 days or so. Then they started discussing a bunch of projections, they made references to the Spanish Flu, and they were estimating that for 300 million+ Americans we would need to have some 10's of millions of test kits, etc.. Then they started discussing hospital capacity and available beds, where even if only 1% of the US population (so roughly 3.3 million) needed hospitalization for CV-19, it would be be like 10x the number of hospital beds currently vacant.  

Link: Math behind the projections.

Again... my mistake for the misleading numbers. Taping my mouth shut now.... :confused: :blush: ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Looking at the infection:death ratios the European strain is either different to the Chinese or some governments from the initial outbreaks are seriously suppressing data

Reading the UK latest statement, they're saying that with 590 confirmed cases, there's probably up to 10,000 infected that are not being tracked. With the death toll at 10, that pushes it back in line with the initial projections.

It probably points towards there being a huge number of infected not being recorded in nations like Italy where the death toll is a lot higher compared to recorded infections

So relatively good news

2 minutes ago, helix said:

Fun in the sun holidays . How long now before vacation travel outside your country gets suspended ? 

That will be interesting as I am off to Cuba tomorrow.