Impact of the new Coronavirus where you are?

21 minutes ago, rckymtn22 said:

That will be interesting as I am off to Cuba tomorrow.

Don't know what I would do . Seriously thinkng my trip to Yellowstone 1rst week of May will have to be put off . 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The impact of coronavirus where I am?   Hmm.  Where to begin.  Last weekend, when I left the hospital on Friday night, we had 9 cases in our ICU.  When I came in on Monday, the ICU was completely

Might be irreverent after I posted the currently existing horror scenarios back on page 1 and 2 of this thread on January 30th - ages ago in this fast developing news circle. So, to end my commen

I’m ready, come what may...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with the information from China is that its bullshit. It's looking like the communist party has not been transparent nor forthcoming (shocker, right?!?!) about the severity of the virus. 

This podcast is incredibly good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw&list=PLk1Sqn_f33KuS7ZSVMJqzFaqOyyl-esmG

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kaptain Karl said:

The problem with the information from China is that its bullshit. It's looking like the communist party has not been transparent nor forthcoming (shocker, right?!?!) about the severity of the virus. 

This podcast is incredibly good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw&list=PLk1Sqn_f33KuS7ZSVMJqzFaqOyyl-esmG

That's been my main concern all along. When did they actually know. How many real cases did they have. How many people really died. Has it really peaked, and now they have single digit cases? That seems very unlikely. Then the fact that virus research at a very high level is/was carried out in Wuhan specifically?  If this happened in the US or many other countries there would be a level of investigative journalism that you could not believe and any negligence or secretive information on its inception would be outed. In China, those who would investigate...disappear. That's how China controls all narratives. If they don't like it, you're silenced. Temporarily or permanently. 

There were reports that the government ordered companies to open factories now that "everyone is safe" and get back to work, so companies are keeping employees home, but running the machines with nothing in them to keep electricity consumption at a level that appears normal. 

But the fact that this was born in China, one of the least reliable countries for information share on the globe, we needed it to hit places like Italy, the United States, and many others to start compiling information, symptom lists, and creating action plans. I still think right now millions have it in America alone, so testing is no longer the "treatment plan". It skews mortality numbers crazy high, but it's clear this is a new, highly infectious disease that we're pretty much all going to get, and hopefully folks are healthy enough that it doesn't take them all the way down. Now that companies are willing to lose billions of dollars for the sake of public health, that tells you how big of a deal the experts think this is. Companies don't sacrifice billions to the safety of the public. Wild times, further complicated by the economic collapse of the stock market. Thankfully the only thing I'm hemorrhaging is money :/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, helix said:

I had saw that. Plan to isolate myself on the beach with cigars, booze and food!

10 minutes ago, rckymtn22 said:

I had saw that. Plan to isolate myself on the beach with cigars, booze and food!

Rest assured the Cuban Government has it all under control :rolleyes:

"Cuba confirms first coronavirus cases, tells people to make their own masks"

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

What testing?    That is another good topic for investigative journalism.  

The world will be a different place in 30 days time but this will eventually end. 

Wouldn't it be nice to think that our glorious leaders may come together post CV for a future "global plan" in order that this level of  panic, incompetence and unilateral decision making doesn't occur again. 

Apparently all it takes is to be a professional basketball player. Then they have more tests than you can imagine. I was ahead of my time, because growing up, all I wanted to be was a pro basketball player. Then skill, size, and athleticism derailed that plan! :P

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SmokyFontaine said:

Apparently all it takes is to be a professional basketball player. Then they have more tests than you can imagine. I was ahead of my time, because growing up, all I wanted to be was a pro basketball player. Then skill, size, and athleticism derailed that plan! :P

That or a congressman (from the party in power, of course).

I'm French 

President just announced EVERY school will close this Monday... 

Every show every sports etc.  Are canceled or played without audience 

I'm not really worried about the virus itself but more of the consequences of the quarantine 

Can't imagine living in dead towns 

6 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

Mea Culpa... that is a typo! Yikes!!!  No, no, no.... 7%, not 70%... WTF. Sorry, my mistake. I'll go fix that asap.

I was listening to CNN as background noise while working last night, and a guest epidemiologist was jousting back and forth with a bunch of people, and made some speculation about epidemics as contagious as this one could potentially infect  up to 7% of people - hopefully I didn't mishear that, but thinking back maybe I did. I'm really second guessing now. 

They were discussing (arguing?) how many people would need hospitalization, and they were putting out extreme scenarios. Certainly don't quote it as a reliable source by any stretch. There was a lot of dialog about hospital capacity, and they were throwing numbers around fast and furious, so I apologize if I misled in any way.

Again, I was not totally focused, I was working and casually listening, so do not quote. The dialog was around the number of confirmed cases apparently doubling every 6 days or so. Then they started discussing a bunch of projections, they made references to the Spanish Flu, and they were estimating that for 300 million+ Americans we would need to have some 10's of millions of test kits, etc.. Then they started discussing hospital capacity and available beds, where even if only 1% of the US population (so roughly 3.3 million) needed hospitalization for CV-19, it would be be like 10x the number of hospital beds currently vacant.  

Link: Math behind the projections.

Again... my mistake for the misleading numbers. Taping my mouth shut now.... :confused: :blush: ?

Actually your initial number was closer to the reports:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/live-blog/ncna1155241

8 hours ago, encephalization said:

Just out of interest (not doubting that there are such estimates), but do you have a source for this?

30% to 70% are the numbers being told by healthcare authorities in my province 

15 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

You're right, I did not take into account infection rates. That can far surpass available statistics. 

I am seeing panic setting in here in the Dallas-Ft.Worth metroplex. I went to Sam's Club today (yes, I have Costco and Sam's memberships, my wife and I are those people) and they ran out of toilet paper and paper towel while I was there! I saw the person who grabbed the last of both of those items and load them onto their carts. They are even limiting bottle water to 2 cases of any kind/brand of bottled water per member at each place. 

I then went to Target to get some baby food for my son. The shelves were empty for toilet paper and paper towel. Even baby food is starting to get cleaned out. So yeah, panic is setting in nicely here. Wish it wasn't, not sure what toilet paper is going to help you with...........but to each their own. 

Its nuts here as well. I went to the supermarket this morning post gym. 

Besides the normal sanitary isles empty, canned and frozen food + potato chip isles taking a hit.

I noted there were plenty of Brussel Sprouts remaining.

I love the human race :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So our company's policy as of today is everyone works remotely, avoids travel or meetings whenever possible and cancelled all of our marketing events for the next 2 months. So I've got that going for me....

https://staythefuckhome.com/

10 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Mainly because I have a working brain in my head and I refuse to be a sheep. Y'all want to panic and be sheeple, go ahead. Y'all want to look at science, let's do just that. If you have even an elementary ability to understand statistics, it's not that bad. There is now mass hysteria and over-reaction and mass panic that has been incited. 

I guess we just look at this differently and from a different place. You focus basically on deaths and the mortality of this virus. You posting pie charts show that pretty clearly. But ok, I'll try this again. No, this is not a ”kill us all” virus. We all know this.

Here in Stockholm (or Sweden for that matter) we got pretty much the lowest amount of ”intensive care” beds per person in all of the EU. It's about half of the European avarage. When the seasonal flu hit like a month ago one of our main hospital here in Stockholm went in to ”state of readiness”, just because they're so under staffed and under such a heavy work load as it is. If this would take on just a fraction of Italy's proportions our healthcare system would pretty much collaps.

The world is reacting like this because no one wants to be the next Italy because there's not a city or country that can handle to be the next Italy. Saying ”I don't want to be a sheep” about this mess doesn't make any sense. There's nothing you can ”don't want to be a sheep” about.

I've seen that list with years and scares posted many times now, it's a fun compilation of events and all. But still, no one is saying that this is going to kill us all. You say that people are saying it and your funny list is saying it, but no government or health organization is saying it and not a single persone I've talked to have said it. No one but you. So from my point of view you're just beating on the exact same sensationalism drum you're accusing the media of. You're just drumming a different beat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So our company's policy as of today is everyone works remotely, avoids travel or meetings whenever possible and cancelled all of our marketing events for the next 2 months. So I've got that going for me....

I hope that there's not a problem with the https://staythefIRETRuckhome.com/ link. It's legitimate and informative FFS!

Kelly stocked up right at the start before the runs on everything. Glad we can order in almost anything these days as long as there are people delivering the goods....