Best Short Cigar

Being new to FOH, not so new to cuban cigars, I am searching for the forums opinions on the best short cigar. My personal favorite is the HUHC. What others do you all go for when you only have 30-45 minutes??

I’m exactly with Hadroxity.  Had a No. 5 last night that was excellent and while limited in sample size I’ve enjoyed El Principe enough to get a PSP box coming.  I’d also throw Siglo I in the ring.   I have a box of Shorts that I haven’t tried yet but the forum seems to collectively be a fan.  

• Like 1

El Principe, Partagas Shorts, MC#5. No particular order, all unique profile. Definitely worthy of a try.

i need to get some perlas to try as well. I read good reviews here.

The airport is a 50 minute drive for me so it’s the perfect distance for a short smoke. Aside from the HUHC, my favorites for the trip are the Monte media corona, El Principe, or PL panatelas. I’ve just recently discovered the RG perlas though so that one may work it’s way into my rotation as well. 

Depends on your palete I'm afraid. For me, I love minutos and perlas.

Minutos:

BCJ,

El Principes,

party shorts (and in that order,).

Perlas:

hoyo depute,

rg perla,

HUHC

monte 5 

cohiba sig 1. Also in that order.

Minutos over perlas all day. They can be a 50 minute smoke for me, and are better/cheaper than many of the bigger vitola within the marca.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Thirds said:

I’m exactly with Hadroxity.  Had a No. 5 last night that was excellent and while limited in sample size I’ve enjoyed El Principe enough to get a PSP box coming.  I’d also throw Siglo I in the ring.   I have a box of Shorts that I haven’t tried yet but the forum seems to collectively be a fan.  

Siglo I is definitely on my radar. If I could manage to snag a box to try on 24:24 for a good deal.

A serious question - has anyone ever gotten a bad box of Principe?  Seems like arguably one of the most consistent sticks out there.

Partagas Shorts
San Cristobal El Principe
RG Perlas

These are my personal favourites, but in fact all minutos/perlas from Cuba are good in my opinion. Strong, representative of their marcas, and consistent. Cuba are definitely the best at these short format cigars.

1 hour ago, Deeg said:

A serious question - has anyone ever gotten a bad box of Principe?  Seems like arguably one of the most consistent sticks out there.

They have been very consistent over recent years, but they have had a rough patch or two. Back in '09, 10 era, I would have always picked Partagas Shorts over El Principe because of consistency. Having said this I have never had a bad box of either. The El Principe do seem to come in two different guises though. They are either all sweetness, molasses, pancake, and coffee profile, or they can have some additional spiciness to them. I am wary of using wrapper colour as a differentiator, but it seems the darker wrapped ones in my experience so far seem to have more spice to them. I love El Principe, but I admit having a preference for this added spiciness.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IanMcLean68 said:

Partagas Shorts
San Cristobal El Principe
RG Perlas

These are my personal favourites, but in fact all minutos/perlas from Cuba are good in my opinion. Strong, representative of their marcas, and consistent. Cuba are definitely the best at these short format cigars.

They have been very consistent over recent years, but they have had a rough patch or two. Back in '09, 10 era, I would have always picked Partagas Shorts over El Principe because of consistency. Having said this I have never had a bad box of either. The El Principe do seem to come in two different guises though. They are either all sweetness, molasses, pancake, and coffee profile, or they can have some additional spiciness to them. I am wary of using wrapper colour as a differentiator, but it seems the darker wrapped ones in my experience so far seem to have more spice to them. I love El Principe, but I admit having a preference for this added spiciness.

Having never had the spicier variety, would you say those retain the overall molasses/cake character with the spice as a layer, or does the spiciness more or less replace it?

Just now, Deeg said:

Having never had the spicier variety, would you say those retain the overall molasses/cake character with the spice as a layer, or does the spiciness more or less replace it?

The overall character of the cigar is still there, the spiciness is there as an extra layer. Maybe a little less sweetness.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BoliDan said:

They can be a 50 minute smoke for me, and are better/cheaper than many of the bigger vitola within the marca.

The time smoking a cigar for me is really dependent on how good the cigar is. A stick that’s somewhat boring, no matter the size (like the D4 from last night or the monte 2 last week) I’ll tear through in 30 mins. I find I’ll pull and pull in hopes of getting to a transition. 

A Boli Corona Junior at its peak is such a bold, flavorful cigar, I slowly enjoy every draw. As a result, that tiny stick can last 50 mins to an hour. 

• Like 1