Box for long storage

Hello dear Friends of Habanos.

Finally I registered my account here. I love this forum and appreciate your knowledge. I will introduce myself in another topic.

In February we welcomed our first son. I keep my fingers crossed he will share this beautiful hobby with his father. 

I would like to buy a box with FEB 2019 for that Little Guy. It will be waiting for him 18 years. What should I consider for that long term storage? I don't want him to open the box which best time passed years ago

• Like 2

Why just 1 box.....I’d get a few!?

Maybe a 10er of Lusitania’s and Siglo VI and....

Starting your cigar smoking life with a big stick may be a little overwhelming, I’d definitely have a box of Bolivar PC’s, that would be a great first cigar.

If I had to pick just 1 box? it would be Cohiba Coronas Especiales

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cigaraholic said:

Why just 1 box.....I’d get a few!?

Maybe a 10er of Lusitania’s and Siglo VI and....

Starting your cigar smoking life with a big stick may be a little overwhelming, I’d definitely have a box of Bolivar PC’s, that would be a great first cigar.

If I had to pick just 1 box? it would be Cohiba Coronas Especiales

May as well spoil him early. Cohiba Esplendidos, solid gold Rolex Day Date and a Ferrari 458

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Good advice above. Any Linea Clasica Cohiba should do well at 20 years. 

PLPC, MdO4, Punch DC and Lusi are all options that should perform well long-term.

What is the oldest PLPC you have had? And what are they like after 10+ years of aging if you know?

Tempted to just buy about 10 cabs and tuck them away for my elderly years!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

What is the oldest PLPC you have had? And what are they like after 10+ years of aging if you know?

Tempted to just buy about 10 cabs and tuck them away for my elderly years!

I want to say I had one from the early 2000s a few years ago. About 15 years. Liked it very much. No sign of falling off. No experience with 20 year + examples personally, but I've never heard anyone speak of one that was expired. 

Excellent idea, I'm having my first child this year and was considering getting a birth year watch but maybe I should also put down some cigars as well.  

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

I'm not sure there's any reliable way to gauge how the current tobacco strains will age long-term. Current strains seem to be more approachable young, but peak around 8 years. In 20 years, who knows? 

9 hours ago, db13 said:

I ordered a box of CoLa's from last week's 24:24: with March 2019 box code for my little guy. Is vacuum sealing really a good thing? Have people vacuum sealed cigars for close to 2 decades and seen that it keeps the flavors? I'm curious about this...

This may help.  Can’t find anyone who’s done it for 2 decades tho. 

Congrats! We welcomed our first child, a little boy, in December. I’ve been stocking up on DIC 18 boxes ever since. Have already landed a couple of boxes of CoRo, a box of HU Mag 46, and a box of Dip 2. Not all will go the distance, plan to smoke some along the way at various birthdays, etc. His Padrino (Godfather) is from Santiago, Dominican Republic and a big cigar guy. Am still on the hunt for a really special box for him from DIC 18 as well. 

• Like 1

I have a box of Bolivar Corona Junior tucked away from ABR 16 for my son. I figured Bolivar is a bolder blend that should stand up over time. I also don't think that handing my 18 year old a big Double Corona or Canonazo is very practical, so a Corona, PC or Minuto is probably a more realistic vitola to put away. Just my 2 cents

Had my son in March 19’. I’ve snagged a couple boxes including Sancho Beli, CoLa, E2.  

When talk about aging boxes surfaces, it doesn’t seemed to get mentioned as much, but don’t smaller formats - PC’s, etc-  tend to hold well for the long haul? 

I bought 06’ BCJ and they are wonderful.  Older HUPC similar date, excellent (can’t get these unfortunately).  Any input on aging different marcas here?  Sancho, Sig2, trini colo.? 

17 hours ago, medzikone said:

Hello dear Friends of Habanos.

Finally I registered my account here. I love this forum and appreciate your knowledge. I will introduce myself in another topic.

In February we welcomed our first son. I keep my fingers crossed he will share this beautiful hobby with his father. 

I would like to buy a box with FEB 2019 for that Little Guy. It will be waiting for him 18 years. What should I consider for that long term storage? I don't want him to open the box which best time passed years ago

I wish I had the foresight to do this.  My son is now 11 years old and finding anything that old is hard (and expensive)!  ?

That said, I would second the above comment about the Sir Winnies.  The look of the box is so regal (even if the cigar itself is under-dressed as some on this forum have suggested) and the smoke is almost guaranteed to be amazing.  I think the look of the box will end up being important to the moment, assuming he will not have smoked cigars before.  You can just picture his face looking at the box thinking wow, that's impressive!  Certainly there are other cigars that also have nice packaging, but it's hard to match the packaging+consistency+quality combination of the Sir Winny. 

Personally I'd buy whatever you could find that's FEB 19. If you buy something ultra premium you run the risk that the cigars are bland/flat at 18 years of aging or he might not even like it and not finish it. Your idea sounds cool in theory but I know with my first cigar I didn't really know what the hell I was doing nor could I pick up on any of the flavors from it. All I thought was man this takes awhile to finish and my tongue felt burnt. It took a few cigars to actually find cigars enjoyable.

I definitely try doing this for friends weddings or kids births.  I've found that it's hard to just tuck away a full box for that long term.  With a kid 18+ years is a long term goal and who knows if it will pay off.  I'd be frustrated if the personal preferences of the child ended up with "gross that's a disgusting gift" reaction.

I'm still doing it with a few for weddings or friends anniversaries (potential bachelor party gift) when I can.  These can be enjoyed at 5 years 10 years or when they break up!

I just got a hold of a nephew's bday month BBF cab from 2014.  I'm debating sitting on it but I also want to enjoy it.  Maybe one or two each yeah to celebrate with his dad and grandpa?  Good way to watch them progress with the kid.  Does the cigar hit a dull point at 14 years and make a resurgence at 25?  I know I did. 

Maybe tuck away a single for the adulthood?  Still an amazing sentiment and less risk if it's a bunk box. I love the idea and asked similar questions before but it's hard to expect the reward of a beautiful aged box at 20 years which none of us are entitled to.

That being said...

BBF, cola, any siglo, HUSW, lusitanias, punch DC all seem like a good bet to me.

56 minutes ago, Bucky McSwensen said:

I definitely try doing this for friends weddings or kids births.

I'm still doing it with a few for weddings or friends anniversaries (potential bachelor party gift) when I can.

Maybe tuck away a single for the adulthood? 

I just picked up as many Monte A coffins as I could for this. The presentation is regal for a single cigar and they can smoke it or keep it for their own choice of special occasion.

07A834BE-02A4-491D-A3A1-7B5D0A19ED2F.jpeg.c36ed6e771ae7b592cbab71605f37b36.jpeg

The best part of turning a milestone age is that it lasts an entire year, why pigeon hole it to a single day of required events??!?

• Like 1