What kills your palate?

I find that if I eat any hyper-sweet/salty processed foods (junk food, fast food, etc), I'm ruined for a cigar. I brushed my teeth with baking soda one day and had a cigar later. Tasted nothing but air. Completely demolished palate.

So what does it for you? Anything you absolutely avoid before a cigar, or will not have a cigar after having done?

Hot chilli peppers in any form. I love hot food but can't taste a cigar afterwards for about an hour, even after the burn has gone. It's the only thing that affects me in such a way and consequently the only thing to consider when planning a meal/ cigar combo.

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

• Like 1

I love spicy food but I can't enjoy a cigar for a while afterwards. The level of spice dictates the length of time I have to wait. Sometimes just an hour, sometimes several. 

Also, too much booze kills my ability to taste. I love a good bourbon or Rye with a stick but after a couple of pours my taste buds are dead. 

Moderation is clearly not my strong suit. 

Ever kiss your wife/girlfriend while she’s wearing some type of flavored lip gloss or chapstick?  And then all you can taste is cherry/peppermint/whatever?  That becomes all I can taste and I avoid cigars at all costs. Really pisses me off. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, inter4alia said:

I love spicy food but I can't enjoy a cigar for a while afterwards. The level of spice dictates the length of time I have to wait. Sometimes just an hour, sometimes several. 

Also, too much booze kills my ability to taste. I love a good bourbon or Rye with a stick but after a couple of pours my taste buds are dead. 

Moderation is clearly not my strong suit. 

Ha! I have an unbelievable palette when I’m heavily buzzed ?

beer kills my palate, and i absolutely love beer. has ruined every cigar i've paired, but i can put the beer down and it goes away.

i've wanted to try a sour with a cigar though, that might work.

-dobbs

1 minute ago, dobbs said:

beer kills my palate, and i absolutely love beer. has ruined every cigar i've paired, but i can put the beer down and it goes away.

i've wanted to try a sour with a cigar though, that might work.

-dobbs

Stout, porter and sours work for me. Other beers kill my palate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inter4alia said:

Stout, porter and sours work for me. Other beers kill my palate. 

Chocolate enhances my palate for cigars.  Probably for similar reasons.

Melted cheese, like on a pizza that is too hot, ruins my palate for days.

6 hours ago, Cayman17 said:

Ever kiss your wife/girlfriend while she’s wearing some type of flavored lip gloss or chapstick?  And then all you can taste is cherry/peppermint/whatever?  That becomes all I can taste and I avoid cigars at all costs. Really pisses me off. 

Haha, brings back memories of my teens and twenties...lots of kissing 

4 hours ago, mbflash80 said:

the worst is when I am a glutton and try to eat my food when its too hot...I burn my tongue and then adios to enjoying a smoke for a few days

Same here!