Game of Thrones fans... do you agree with this...?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty much my thoughts:

Total garbage...john kills the queen and the unsullied just capture him? come on...this was a completely half hearted effort to end the show...

I didn’t read the first four books until after season one, and later DoD when it was released, and was impressed with how “true” season one had been to the first book. As the HBO seasons went on, they were less true to the books but that was understandable. The books are complex and long with many story lines happening at once. I agree with others that the problems with seasons 7 and 8 are a combination of not having GRRM’s books to rely on, as well as inexplicable (to me) decision to rush thru the final part of the story. Regardless, I consider the combined 8 seasons among the best television ever produced.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hollywood Ninja said:

I mean honestly I can't remember the last time I was satisfied with a series ending though.

Breaking Bad and The Wire the two that actually satisfied me. Dont think GOT is going to tbh

• Like 1

My thoughts FWIW. I thought this last episode was a good episode, but it has been a bad season all together. I agree the season has moved quickly and has been an overall let down. I will say this seems to happen with all shows once the characters and situations become played out.

I am glad they are ending it, but could have been executed (no pun intended) better.

• Like 1

I didn't watch the first 6 seasons on air, I started watching them on Blue ray. Then I switched to on air in season 7 and 8. I have to say, the first 4 or 5 seasons were very good, I thought they were well done and the cinematography in all seasons was top notch. However, I'm not a big fan of season 7 and especially not impressed with season 8. 

The disappointment, at least for me, is they spent literally 7+ seasons building up that "Winter is Coming" and the big showdown with the zombies, and then they ended it all in just one episode of fighting. Granted the battle scenes were impressive, but this entire final season feels very rushed and poorly executed. The plot turns involving multiple characters, Lannisters and Khaleesi namely, were also hastily and poorly explained as they "rushed" to close it out. It's like they got impatient, took over the script, and then skipped about 700 pages to get to the finale. I think they could easily have added another season to wind it down and tie up the loose ends. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 10:22 PM, FatherOfPugs said:

Not sure what y'all are smokin', I loved it! Rotten Tomatoes is high, or dumb, or both. The drama/acting/cinema teacher and I had a long conversation about this today, he agreed with me. People love to hate on things, especially on the internet. See Cohiba. A majority of the characters have reached their 'high point.' Do I agree with everything that happened, not necessarily, but I'm still watching it. Again, see Cohiba hate on the internet. 

I agree.  I have enjoyed the final season, even the finale tonight, and now I look forward to Martin’s conclusion in his books!

I have to say this season entirely has been a bit of a let down. I think the battle with the night king should’ve ended differently in terms of how easily he was killed and it should’ve been the end of the series. Cersi should’ve died at Jamie’s hand as sort of a mercy kill. Sorry way to kill the final villain. Except for Dany of course.

I will say I thought this last episode brought some closure though. A lot of people are upset John wasn’t king. But, He didn’t want it. He was sent to the wall. It looks like he left the wall and became a wildling. This brings us back to the first episode. Ned kills a man of the nights watch for deserting his post. John lived his whole life like Ned did. With honor. But that’s also what got Ned killed. John is doing something for himself for the first time in his life. And of course, bran knew this would happen. 

• Like 2

I was let down by the season as whole, but it was mostly because everything was so rushed. There should have been more of a build up to Daenerys going crazy, more of a build up to Cersei's final moments, and Bran was just used as a plot device at random times, including the end. There were too many holes, too many jumps this season, and if they had built it up through two years I think they would have had time to fill those holes. The pace of the show quickened dramatically in the end and I think it suffered for it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mbflash80 said:

Total garbage...john kills the queen and the unsullied just capture him? come on...this was a completely half hearted effort to end the show...

The biggest hoe in the episode . He stabs her and walks? No one saw that and Drogon takes her away/How does anyone know she's dead. Too many sloppy holes, er, plot points more series can cone out of. Last season was a failure in my eyes. I'm not interested in spin offs. Tell ya what, though. That series Chernobyl is very good. I think HBO does the closed end episodic TV like no one else.

I was on the fence about this season until the last episode. The narrative wasn’t great and the execution left even more to be desired, but I felt like they still had room to move with the last episode and they just threw it away. I was annoyed with how short the season was at first, but honestly watching the last episode I thought it was far longer than it needed to be given what they did with it. They tried to hard to pull an unexpected game of thrones style ending but the twists were lazy, not built to (Dany’s Break) and often didn’t make any sense (bran on the throne)... and still fell victim to the cheesiness and sentimentality that the show initially eschewed so well and made it unique. Also where were the legions of unsullied and Dothraki hiding during the battle of winterfell? 

• Like 2

I will agree that was a crazy ending.  I still enjoyed it I knew they were going to end it in a way to have spinoffs but they definitely made many unexpected plot decisions. Before the episode I found a 3D model for a flexi dragon so I decided to print it before the last episode.   The body is plain black PLA and the wings are shiny silk copper.1326467054_3dprintedflxidragon.thumb.jpg.bf4f6c7d9835e944bcd98384e7531f7f.jpg

I think Bran should of shown real strength and handed Jon Snow to the Unsullied for the good of the realm - real Game of Thrones style. But they went soft on the ending. Even Tyrion, at one point said ask me in 10 years! Spin off or reunion special here we come!

43 minutes ago, juri said:

ive not followed the books but when GoT first started i remember hearing they hoped he would finish the books in time... and correct me if im wrong but did he put out any books while GoT was on the air? ... i think he wanted to wait for them to finish knowing 1, he would get a fat pay check from HBO and all the royaltys it would bring (dvd sales, sales of old books ect..) and 2, once the show finished he knew it would be half assed and all the new fans the show brought feeling unsatisfied would rush out and buy the new unreleased books..

least thats what id do, why compete with your own ip let the show finish then come in and clean up

It’s really sad to see such a great series end so poorly. I feel like I’ll probably remember how big of a let down the last season was rather than how awesome it was leading up to the end. I haven’t read the books but I may have to start if the last one ever comes out just to hopefully get a real ending and some  closure   

They should have spread out season 7 and half of season 8 into two separate 20 episode seasons and left the battle for winterfell and kingslanding for 3 x three hour film trilogy for cinema and pay per view.

And shock value is all well and good, but there comes a point where by you just have to give the public what they want and what they wanted was Jon on the throne. Dany going mad and being killed by Jon was a big enough twist in itself. 

• 3 weeks later...

There's a lot already been said, but it simply wasn't a game of thrones ending. If you ignore the huge plot holes, things like 100,000 dothraki vanishing on the way up to winterfell etc, there was no trademarks that made the series successful. IE killings and backstabbing of major characters.

I went in expecting something like only Pod surviving and even then he would be a dribbling quadriplegic. But to have that nonsense happy fairy tale ending was just a joke. The laziest writing I've ever seen in any film/show/book/children's TV cartoon

Agree with a lot of the comments in here.  They took what was for me the best show in history and slowly but surely destroyed it over the course of a couple of episodes.  The blame is mostly on the two dumbasses, D&D.  The last season had amazing visuals, amazing music, amazing acting, etc.  None of it mattered when the writing was so terrible.

George RR Martin is also to blame.  He had a decade to try and finish the stories, but he didn't.  So his greatest story ever was destroyed.  Even if he finishes the books, I have no interest in reading any more of them.  

On 6/12/2019 at 7:51 AM, CaptainQuintero said:

There's a lot already been said, but it simply wasn't a game of thrones ending. If you ignore the huge plot holes, things like 100,000 dothraki vanishing on the way up to winterfell etc, there was no trademarks that made the series successful. IE killings and backstabbing of major characters.

I went in expecting something like only Pod surviving and even then he would be a dribbling quadriplegic. But to have that nonsense happy fairy tale ending was just a joke. The laziest writing I've ever seen in any film/show/book/children's TV cartoon

Haha the long night fight was hysterical.  Are you a major character?  Don't worry even 100 undead on you won't kill you!

For me, I was done on the next episode with the back to back miracle bolt shots at 5000m hitting a flying object perfectly.  Even in a show with flying dragons and undead, I still can't buy that bullshit.

I remember at the end of season six telling some friends that it just didn’t seem the same show as the first couple of series. There seemed to be less dialogue/plotting/characters coming to realise what has been going on that made it all so watchable to me (just my opinion). I saw an article recently that had this chart in showing the decline season on season of words spoken per minute by characters, with season 8 hitting an all time low. It may be coincidence but it seemed to back up my thinking for a while. 

18F3BF93-C0DA-4D60-9794-B87B17E4426A.jpeg

• Like 1