Probably the worst fake ever

Was outside the other day enjoying a cigar, when a neighbor that I don't know very well, asked me if i wanted a cuban, and gave me this beauty. He meant well, so I thanked him for thinking about me and I was very gracious. I think the only thing they got right on the band was how to spell Cohiba!20190416_221921.thumb.jpg.eef39b36c4f5028a10760067f6910f63.jpg20190416_221942.thumb.jpg.a967b2b6dc00130f958e8a4d1330099c.jpg20190416_221849.thumb.jpg.279b26b0b79bfb03821a3edccf7b34fa.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldn't know what to do in this situation. Is it better to be very thankful and then toss it, or is it better to let them know that they might be smoking rat turds, cigarette tobacco and twigs? I think the latter is the right thing to do, but I also think it would hurt thier feeling and/or offend them. 

Also editing afterthought, you should cut that open and take it apart, and post pics, for science. 

Edited by BoliDan
After thought
  • Like 2

I would tell the truth, and if a persons feelings can’t handle it..... they have bigger issues than smoking fake cigars. To me, the truth is polite ??. And that stick looks rough!!!!! I’ve got 2$ sticks that look better than that?

• Haha 1

looks similar to this absolute goof of a cigar pictured here.  my pal proudly brought these back from Cuba ( "my brother works for the factory" type of story)  and I told him right away in the most friendly manner that he was duped. He's not into cigars in the least and kindof laughed and shrugged it off "they're still cubans" he said hahaha 

A cigar is a cigar for some, and if he was really into cubans he'd probably know the difference, maybe ignorance is bliss. 

IMG_4121.JPG

To be fair Barry, that wrapper apart from the one big vein looks pretty decent quality, nice sheen and hue to it, looks like a decent roll too. I mean yeah it's a fake but on first glance it doesn't look malicious. Have you a pic of the foot to see what the bunching looks like? How's it smell?

6 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

To be fair Barry, that wrapper apart from the one big vein looks pretty decent quality, nice sheen and hue to it, looks like a decent roll too. I mean yeah it's a fake but on first glance it doesn't look malicious. Have you a pic of the foot to see what the bunching looks like? How's it smell?

It actually is not too badly rolled, tight with no soft spots. Some stems sticking out the foot. Smells like dirt, pretty sure mexican tobacco. On a trip to cozumel bought a couple of local grown cigars, just to say I tried one, they smelled and tasted like dirt as well.20190417_102004.thumb.jpg.e09e2b352e0ed7564086d8006291d650.jpg20190417_101728.thumb.jpg.1920040b6bf8e08535883adfd5b14a2d.jpg20190417_101706.thumb.jpg.7baefb5926033ea453dddb465f7dad9e.jpg

11 hours ago, BoliDan said:

I wouldn't know what to do in this situation. Is it better to be very thankful and then toss it, or is it better to let them know that they might be smoking rat turds, cigarette tobacco and twigs? I think the latter is the right thing to do, but I also think it would hurt thier feeling and/or offend them. 

Also editing afterthought, you should cut that open and take it apart, and post pics, for science. 

For scientific purposes!20190417_104012.thumb.jpg.00d9e54894588ea8881cc80ba5bb3110.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As silly as it sounds, one of my favorite cigars was a hilariously fake Cohiba 2000 millennium (or something).  I got one "discounted" at 10 bucks because the dude wanted me to buy a box of 15 for 600.  Knowing they were fake I still would have bought the box for anything less than 200 bucks but he wouldn't budge. 

My neighbor, who doesn't smoke cigars, gave me 5 that looked just like this one. I thanked him, took them home where I promptly disposed of them. His father does smoke cigars, so when he was visiting, I put together a sampler of CC for him to give his dad. I made sure to put an Esplendidos in the sampler. When he received the sampler, and looked at them,  the light went off for him. Ended up sharing  with him where to purchase the best CC, IMO...FOH.

• Like 1

I think I would have smoked that :D I've never come across a fake in real life so don't really have any horror stories but that didn't have any red warning lights in terms of dangerous stuff for me, that wrapper looked great, although pictures can be very deceiving.

At the very least I'd have given it a minute or so to test the waters

2 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I think I would have smoked that :D I've never come across a fake in real life so don't really have any horror stories but that didn't have any red warning lights in terms of dangerous stuff for me, that wrapper looked great, although pictures can be very deceiving.

At the very least I'd have given it a minute or so to test the waters

But without cutting it open, you don't know what's on the inside. One time I found a rubber band in a fake that I dissected. Plus it smelled like ass!

• Confused 1

Just now, BarryVT said:

But without cutting it open, you don't know what's on the inside. One time I found a rubber band in a fake that I dissected. Plus it smelled like ass!

Ahh you see, then the 'smells like ass' sub-rule gets invoked. That nullifies the initial exploratory statement of intent :thumbsup:

• Like 1

WOW!!  You guys got some u-u-u-u-g-g-g-l-y knock-offs there!  Whoooosh! :no:  I've come across fakes here and there, and with a few exceptions most of them do at least take the time to try to make theirs a little more presentable and attractive. 

On the rare occasions I've been offered fakes, I ask questions to determine if the purchase was a one-off purchase or if they were likely to continue to purchase.  If a one-off, I thank them and let it go.  If it appears they might continue to purchase fakes, I try to gently persuade them they are purchasing fakes.

On our recent cruise to the island, one of the stewards on the ship knew I smoked Cubans and planned on purchasing more when we landed on the island.  Before we landed in Havana, he gave me a pretty good fake Cohiba (I had tipped him pretty well along the way for really good bar service :D).  I took it and thanked him.  Later, after we boarded the ship leaving Havana, I asked him a few questions to determine where he got it and if he was likely to continue to purchase them.  Long story short, he had purchased several in the past and planned on continuing to purchase them at one of the ship's ports of call on the island.  He said a "friend" sold them to him at a very good price.  I showed him my authentic Cohiba's and compared them to his, and he was skeptical his was fake.  At least I tried. 

1 hour ago, stogieluver said:

On the rare occasions I've been offered fakes, I ask questions to determine if the purchase was a one-off purchase or if they were likely to continue to purchase.  If a one-off, I thank them and let it go.  If it appears they might continue to purchase fakes, I try to gently persuade them they are purchasing fakes.

On our recent cruise to the island, one of the stewards on the ship knew I smoked Cubans and planned on purchasing more when we landed on the island.  Before we landed in Havana, he gave me a pretty good fake Cohiba (I had tipped him pretty well along the way for really good bar service :D).  I took it and thanked him.  Later, after we boarded the ship leaving Havana, I asked him a few questions to determine where he got it and if he was likely to continue to purchase them.  Long story short, he had purchased several in the past and planned on continuing to purchase them at one of the ship's ports of call on the island.  He said a "friend" sold them to him at a very good price.  I showed him my authentic Cohiba's and compared them to his, and he was skeptical his was fake.  At least I tried. 

Some people just can't handle the truth. At least you tried!